New hovi speaker setup

I got tired of how little volume the tiny Hovi speakers have. So I decided to take a fellow garrison's member's setup that he used in his TD helmet and modify it for mine. I had to mod what he did to better suite my AP helmet vs. his TE helmet. I put a 1" Radio Shack speaker inside a PVC plumbing end cap. The cap is installed inside the helmet over the Hovi dome. I had to drill a big hole in the helmet so the sound can pass thru the helmet and then thru the hollow Hovis. The larger speaker mounted inside the helmet provides a lot more volume. One warning if you decide to do this, make sure you can still fit your helmet on after adding this speaker setup before drilling holes etc. Just do a test fit with empty caps which you've trimmed down to fit. Here are pics of what I did. I'm working on detailed instructions for these photos and will post on FISD when done.

---------------

Some notes: My garrison mate used plastic caps found on spray cans. I found that the plastic is way too thin. The PVC plumbing end cap is much thicker which reduces any sound bleed into the helmet. I do not have any feedback issues. I'm also using a ROMFX amp.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

So you put the PVC nipple in the helmet, the speaker behind that, the cap to cover the whole assembly on the inside of the helmet, and THEN put hovis to cover the outside? I don't think I follow what happened to the outside of the helmet.

Are hovis just the metal screen or are they an entire cap unit thing?

Not exactly. The PVC nipple goes in first. Glue the speaker to the inside of the PVC cap. The speaker should not touch the PVC nipple at all. Make sure there is a slight gap between them when you install the cap. The Hovi refers to the entire black cone and screen. I recommend glueing that on last so that you can see thru the PVC nipple while installing the cap/speaker assembly. FYI the pVC nipple has a smaller diameter than the speaker so the speaker cannot fit inside it.

So you put the PVC nipple in the helmet, the speaker behind that, the cap to cover the whole assembly on the inside of the helmet, and THEN put hovis to cover the outside? I don't think I follow what happened to the outside of the helmet.

Are hovis just the metal screen or are they an entire cap unit thing?

Not exactly. The PVC nipple goes in first. Glue the speaker to the inside of the PVC cap. The speaker should not touch the PVC nipple at all. Make sure there is a slight gap between them when you install the cap. The Hovi refers to the entire black cone and screen. I recommend glueing that on last so that you can see thru the PVC nipple while installing the cap/speaker assembly. FYI the pVC nipple has a smaller diameter than the speaker so the speaker cannot fit inside it.

Thanks!

Where did you get those hovis?

I'm definitely thinking about trying your setup!

I feel stupid saying this but I don't remember. All I can say is that they are made from aluminum. Anyone know who makes those? I would think any hovi will work though. If get hovi's from Stomper, ask him to not install the speakers and the back side of them. You want them completely hollow. Not sure who else makes them these days. The PVC nipples I used were thick enough that they allowed room for grinding down to fit into the hovi.

Deckard (i.e. tupperwareTK) was selling machined Al mic tips this time last year. If you do a search, you should be able to find the thread.

The thread has been dead for about a year, so I doubt he still has any. But it might be worth sending him an email.

Here's a link to the speaker I used...FYI, the photos does not show this, but the speaker comes pre-wired.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 10/28/2010 at 6:01 PM, Smally said:

Great set up there Jim!

Can you paste a link to the speakers that you used please mate? I'm trying to search for an equivalent that's available here in the UK.

Cheers,

Smally.

You can get them from me Brad. All wired up and ready to go. Check out these links and my other gear:

-----------

Cheers,

Rees.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Do you sell them without the speakers installed? My setup here in this thread needs the hovi without speakers. I'm not actually looking to buy any right now but ask for those who read this thread and want a pair without speakers.

On 11/1/2010 at 8:37 PM, air-ship said:

You can get them from me Brad. All wired up and ready to go. Check out these links and my other gear:

-------------

Cheers,

Rees.

Edited by gmrhodes13

Yeah it's a much better mod, I've been doing it for years. think I have a tutorial on here somewhere?

Here's mine on the UKG anyway

http://ukgarrison.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23518

I have lots of mylar speakers and white vac formed domes if anyone is interested :)

Yeah it's a much better mod, I've been doing it for years. think I have a tutorial on here somewhere?

Here's mine on the UKG anyway

http://ukgarrison.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23518

I have lots of mylar speakers and white vac formed domes if anyone is interested :)

U sir, just made my bucket a dream bucket! Gonna grab one off u!