Kirbys AM Build[*AM]

Thought I would get an early start here... I finally came to my senses and purchased a nice set of armor the other night. (Still wishing I would have done that as soon as I found this place and my garrison..I would probably be in the 501st by now.) Anyways, I have a new big brown box full of brand spanking new AM in it, on its way. I have put a I dont know how many hours into my old set, and with bad weather just around the corner I knew how much trouble I would have getting the proper weather conditions combined with time to paint and finish my old set. Not to mention I wasnt sure that I would have ever been able to make it EIB, so I opted to get a set that I know will both be a little easier for my first build and be nice and shiny as I want it to be. I will at some point go back to the old set and more than likely make it a sandtrooper...(Yet one more excuse to use padatroopers awesome T-21 tutorial. I hopefully will be closing on my new house in the next several weeks, which has had me slowed down to begin with as my current work shop is being used for extra storage, however, the new place will afford me a much larger and climate controlled work area.

Yeah.. when I decided to buy, it was going to be one that required no painting..well at least no massive painting.. buttons I can deal with...:) the climate control was actually referring to being able to work in the new garage and have heat if needed where my work shop now, I justhave a small ceramic heater.. that only keeps about a 1 square foot section of you warm if you actually are sitting on it.. I usually like the cold I wear shorts unless its below 20*, just not a big fan of it when Im trying to do detailed work and cant feel my fingers....:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wanting to get on here for the past week, however, I havent been able to till now.. Busy packing and moving.. Well my AM arrived last week safe and sound..

100_1949.jpg

This is the armor I was looking for... :lol:

100_1951.jpg

Ā 

I now have an official ETA on my close so I have started planning so I can have then entire month of December to put some serious hours in on my new AM. Hopefully I will be able to get done and do my part to add another EIB prior to the end of the year. I am going to be working on my scratch built/resin E11,Helmet Electronics and Interior of my bucket while the majority of my tools and works space is unavailable for the next 3 weeks... Here are a few pics of a bucket I picked up off the for sale board here. As I said I am going to finish the interior as its undone. Replace the lenses with flat green ones and add the mesh. If you guys see anything else that I should address I am always open for the direction.

100_1956.jpg

100_1959.jpg

100_1957.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The pics are a little fuzzy / backlit, but the helmet looks good to me. The only small nitpicky things, none of which would affect 501st application or EIB:

Ā 

- it looks like it already has flat green lenses, so not sure if you need to change those

- the brow looks a little crooked, it's higher on the left side than it is on the right.

- hard to tell, but maybe the eyes could be trimmed more?

- the teeth look OK, but maybe a little more timing could be spent finessing the edge of the grey. Also, it's a personal choice but not sure if you want that unpainted gap in the frown?

- personal choice: I would clean up the black outline around the ears

- personal choice: the vocoder outline would be cleaned up a little if you want.

- personal choice: I like my helmets with about 13 tube stripes. This one has more which is OK, I just like a few less to make it a little less crowded. :) Easy to remove the first and last stripe if these are stickers (looks like they are stickers).

OK one more thing to get off the check list... My scratch build holster..I used the templates I found on here. Only thing left is to attach the flap, Ill do that as soon as I get the E11 finished; just so I get a really good fit to match.... decided to make things hard on myself, first time using a sewing machine on top of that doing leather,still surprised I managed to do it without bleeding...

Ā 

100_1962.jpg

100_1963.jpg

100_1964.jpg

The pics are a little fuzzy / backlit, but the helmet looks good to me. The only small nitpicky things, none of which would affect 501st application or EIB:

Ā 

- it looks like it already has flat green lenses, so not sure if you need to change those

- the brow looks a little crooked, it's higher on the left side than it is on the right.

- hard to tell, but maybe the eyes could be trimmed more?

- the teeth look OK, but maybe a little more timing could be spent finessing the edge of the grey. Also, it's a personal choice but not sure if you want that unpainted gap in the frown?

- personal choice: I would clean up the black outline around the ears

- personal choice: the vocoder outline would be cleaned up a little if you want.

- personal choice: I like my helmets with about 13 tube stripes. This one has more which is OK, I just like a few less to make it a little less crowded. :) Easy to remove the first and last stripe if these are stickers (looks like they are stickers).

Im got this helmet from the for sale thread here, I think its made of Glossy HIPS, anyone got any good suggestions for paint removal for that? I have read on here about the Oven cleaner thought about trying that. I looked at everything Lowes and Home depot had, obviously nothing that didnt have but stuff for plastic. I guess I need to stop by a hobby shop and see if I can maybe dig something up there..

• 2 weeks later...

Well since my close is supposed to be on Tuesday; I more than likely will not be able to do anything else till the move is done. Thought I would snap a couple of pics of the rework I have done on my bucket prior to boxing it for the move. Still have to work on the ear stripes, and figure out which way I want to mount my lenses and add the mesh and padding. I might do another touch-up coat on the interior but not sure if it really needs it or not..

Ā 

100_1994.jpg

100_1993.jpg

100_1992.jpg

100_1991.jpg

• 2 months later...

OK now that I am officially back to work on my armor thought I would take a few pics and put em up.. I added some miliput to tap for my lens install. Its Tuesday and for some odd reason it still hasnt set up. May have to pull this out and try it again.. Glad I checked it before I decided to paint it..

100_1998.jpg

100_1997.jpg

Ā 

I decided this set of armor I would work from the forearms up then go from the chest down.

Ā 

100_2001.jpg

100_2000.jpg

Ā 

100_1999.jpg

Ā 

Now that the forearms have set for a a day I plan removing the wrist return tonight, then moving on to the biceps.

Ā 

I cant say it enough I really enjoy not having to paint this time around..

OK here is my latest update pics.... My bucket is complete (i did have to remove the milliput, it never did set up) Going to have to re-think my interior padding. I bought the military helmet padding and with it in my eyes are almost down to my frown..

Ā 

I couldnt wait to get it on..

100_2011.jpg

Ā 

100_2010.jpg

100_2009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well thought it best that I add some more pics of my progress to this point... Hoping to have a little build party today and tomorrow and really get some work done...

Ā 

100_2053.jpg

100_2050.jpg

Ā 

My wife and daughter pitched in by buying some new shoes, boxes worked perfect for holding my ab buttons to paint. :)

Ā 

100_2054.jpg

100_2056.jpg

100_2057.jpg

100_2058.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pics from the work we got doen on Sunday... Have one of the thighs sized and reshaped more ANH style than the AM is normally. Cover strips on both the thighs and shins (replacing the overlap build I did previously)

Ā 

The kidney and ab finally put together... next thing is to match the other thigh up and clean up the edges some more.. and then finish the other side of the ab/kidney-attach the butt plate.

Ā 

100_2064.jpg

100_2065.jpg

THanks guys.. I really got more accomplished in the 9 hours Sunday than I have in the last several months.. I owe Jay Parsons a big thank-you...We would have gotten more done, but breaking this stuff back down ate up a lot of time... Plus we still had to trim a lot off to fit this AM even with me being a big guy....