ROTJ Chin Strap Snap/Popper Brand

Although there are not as many ROTJ fans as ANH on here I hope this is of interest to some people.

It was asked in another thread what the brand on the snap/popper on the chin strap was. This was shared a few years back on the RPF, but for those who didn't catch it here is a picture.

I don't know if the same brand was used on the ANH helmets, hopefully someone can chime in with that information.

The brand is 'Newey England'.

img4154t.th.jpg

Joe

This thread is about the snaps Stefan or it would have been titled 'hard hat liner'.

No-one has found the liner to date. There are no markings on the original that can help to identify it.

Edited by JoeR

This thread is about the snaps Stefan or it would have been titled 'hard hat liner'.

No-one has found the liner to date. There are no markings on the original that can help to identify it.

Well the snaps are part of the helmet strapping as the hard hat liner,too

So i thought i also ask for this brand.

It was not my intention to spam your thread.

Joe,

Great thread! Thanks for the notes here on the snaps. (Mark too, I didn't know the exact type of snap. I'd love to know the brand too. Is the brand different? ) I'm starting my chin straps soon on my ESB version so this one will be be helpful at least as a good reference. Joe, do you know what size these were in mm or inches?

I have contacted every Hard hat maker around (I think) at the time these were used and they all said it was not one of theirs, i have a few leads that im still trying to chase up but it seems to be one of those long lost parts that we will never know .... or will we ??? :P

I have contacted every Hard hat maker around (I think) at the time these were used and they all said it was not one of theirs, i have a few leads that im still trying to chase up but it seems to be one of those long lost parts that we will never know .... or will we ??? :P

Me too Rob! I am having a one off one custom made, it is costing a fortune but will be movie accurate. I will look into doing a run in the future.

With regards to size I have the info somewhere and will check and post it up. I think they are approx 12-14mm in diameter.

img4154t.th.jpg

The parts we can see in this photo measure 14mm for the socket and 12mm for the post. The cap measures 16mm and the stud is 10mm.

The parts look EXACTLY the same as in this photo and I will take a photo of mine shortly. I must say it took a lot of searching on ebay to find these, they are not common.

img4154t.th.jpg

The parts we can see in this photo measure 14mm for the socket and 12mm for the post. The cap measures 16mm and the stud is 10mm.

The parts look EXACTLY the same as in this photo and I will take a photo of mine shortly. I must say it took a lot of searching on ebay to find these, they are not common.

Thanks Paul.

I have some but they are too small. They are not easy to track down.

Joe

Edited by JoeR

Your right, they are not easy to track down.

It was only after continually searching ebay that I finally came across them. There was only about a dozen or so snaps in the bag as well, just enough for a kit fortunately.

I am not sure if they even make these snaps anymore?

Any of you northerners live near Bletchley (spelling)? I have a lead....

What Bletchley Buckinghamshire , if it is i live half an hour away ;)

What Bletchley Buckinghamshire , if it is i live half an hour away ;)

I thought it was up north! :P Mind you everywhere is north of Cornwall, although I am a Londoner by birth!

Anyway apparently there is an old habberdashery that has been there since the war in one form or another, a fella I know reckons they should have some. If you are passing I could do with about 100 sets!

Joe

I thought it was up north! :P Mind you everywhere is north of Cornwall, although I am a Londoner by birth!

Anyway apparently there is an old habberdashery that has been there since the war in one form or another, a fella I know reckons they should have some. If you are passing I could do with about 100 sets!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Just PM me the address and i can see what i can do :)

oops I made a boob one was an old auction & the other site the wrong size :blush:

if it helps? they were Australasian in origin which could make sence, as european vintage brick a brac like the snaps are still more common place here than the UK, they dont throw out anything here.

Yes great info. Thanks for measuring those Paul.

I was trying to look at the snaps on the SWhelmet.com page with the ESB helmet. Look like similar silver anorak snaps, but of a different brand. My eyes stink, but zooming in on them looks the name is only on half of the bottom side of the snap. Kind of looks like it starts with CO...maybe...but I don't know. LOL

Rare and you also need to find the setting kit for them. I bought a bunch of these several years ago but despite looking identical, they look to have a slightly different attachment method than the original ROTJ snaps shown.

Paul I didnt know you had some of these. We must chat again sometime.

• 1 year later...