Is it right to hoard information?

sskunky

having been a member of TDH for so long it is unreal the way things work around here. This stuff just doesnt happen there, a guy joins, asks some questions and the same day 25 people are shooting him info like arrows. Yeah I have like no posts but I am certainly no noob to costuming and hours of clicking through sites to find the deep info it seems in bad taste to me to read over and over that some guy is getting blown off for asking a question and told to do his own research. If he was in front of you would you say the same.

Hording information...well sure.

Example.

I for myself search over 3 years for the correct screen used brand of the Rots Vader boots.

Also searched over 3 years after the correct capehooks for the cloak.

So as i share the info about the boots i got...well nothing.

No thank you, no WOW..well done. nothing.

And for what i should share infos of hard research wich took many of my freetime?

That other guys which are simply to lazy to use there free time to search forums,shops, pic's day by day in free time?

That they all get there infos for nothing in no time?

As i was new i search my infos by myself, in my free time.Read ,read read and read.And after i ask.

Today it seems, well..ask get the correct info, copy and paste.finish.

Well i not want ot support such lazy boys.

Well i share infos to other.

But now after all only in closed propboards.To the hardcore guys which collect screen accurate stuff, and frack each mm like i do. :lol:

Yes only to the elitist :o:D

There it is a give and take of infos for propcollectors which want only the best and look like it was on screen.

And not in open boards where all " fun costume user" can see it, which only want fun in funny costumes.

Why?

Well , cause i think that hardcore infos like the real brand of the capehooks guys which wear a rubies helmet and a hasbro lightsaber not realy need to know , cause there standarts are very low.

Or why should someone which wear a FX armor and FX helmet know how the real strapping system looks.

Well..it doesn't matter him that his armor look in shape like garbage but he want to know the real strapping for more accuray.LOL.

And i not want that my hard work will be give so easy to such guys ,which simply doesn't care of , what is screen accurate.

So i can understand to 100% if people hide there infos , which they took after many many time of research in there free time.

Not missunderstand me , but before someone want to know something , he should first work for the info.

If i see that someone realy want to look like screen and is realy a enthusiast in replicate like it was on screen, he can get all my infos he want.

Cause i see that this one take trouble for to get a good replica.

Edited by Turrican

TDH has shared every detail on the Fett.

Why can we not?

Buy it now mentality. The trooper is so soiled from so many in the past.

Many on the TDH built and shared. Not so in Trooper land. It was a secret thing from the outset. At least from what I have read and been around for. It was only recently that armor was even available , Like it or not, in mass.

TM has his reasons. While this thread is not about TM, but its is in a way as its on the heels of the other thread I just read through. Gino is good at info keeping among many others. Just saying. I agree that he did the research and its his info. Now, should you dangle a carrot and stick your tongue out? No..

but if its looked at from this point of view...

If he found it, so can you. There still around.

I research Vader. I am so looking for the REAL glove for ESB. Its hard, frustration tweeking, boring info digging. But I keep going. 2 years now. Its a posable thing that I may not want to share for so many will jump on the band wagon to just sell it. Ebay mentality. Now... that said. If I do fine them, I will post pics. That in and of itself will help those that REALLY want to dig. One stop shop PM me and just get the info? No. Stop the search take my toys and go home? No.

How bad do you need this info? Are you going to really tell at a troop the real part VS the repo? Would I take my Pugman blaster to a troop for accuracy? Hell no. Hyperfirm.

Is this worth the fight?

I think it may be moot soon as Blue ray is coming. Build and find may be far easier for accuracy buffs.

having been a member of TDH for so long it is unreal the way things work around here. This stuff just doesnt happen there, a guy joins, asks some questions and the same day 25 people are shooting him info like arrows. Yeah I have like no posts but I am certainly no noob to costuming and hours of clicking through sites to find the deep info it seems in bad taste to me to read over and over that some guy is getting blown off for asking a question and told to do his own research. If he was in front of you would you say the same.

Actually, what is strange is that we're one of the most open boards in the 501st, perhaps alongside MEPD. Are you referring to FISD, or the Legion as a whole? Also, I'd like to think that we've done quite a bit to blow open the information sharing. If you think it's bad now, recall how the 501st was about stormtrooper armor 5 years ago...

I love the way the TDH is being held up as a Paragon of Virtue :lol::lol:

See I remeber how up untill I stopped being a regulor visitor there( about 6-12 months ago) newbies got treated like absolute crud , if acknowledged at all, for not knowing everything ther was to know about all things Fett.

And god help anyone who wanted to attempt to do one on a budget or ask how to fabricate things themselves. Oh it was fine if you were willing to spend the money. Wave a fist full of dollars (sic) in the air and they would fall all over you to help you spend them/take them from you.

But your right, sometimes they do share info.

Like the time Gino popped in to self promote himself by posting pics up that B Muir had shared here and asked not to be posted elsewhere.Despite being made aware of the matter they refused to remove them showing a complete lack of respect. And the pics did not even pertain to their costume of choice.

Yeah, TDH is a great example. :rolleyes:

Regarding the boots find that was posted, and probable reason for this thread: Nice find Paul. B)

Shame you took the pics down but completley understandable. Pity the detractors spent more time complaining about the lack of name and less time looking at the clue to how to obtain them that was staring them in the face.

Just wish I had had the sense to write it down at the time. :6:

Edited by carbonitekid

Unfortunately the above wasn't made clear and from first read of that thread to me, as a noob, you did come across as a bit of an an impolite person (soory). But the above puts everything in perspective and if it had been shared the first time you were asked, then it might have stopped some of the subsequent flaming that I stumbled into. :rolleyes:

Craig, mate, this says it all. “I’m a noob, but I think that you’re a bit of an an impolite person

so I’ll just stir the pot a bitâ€.

Nice to see that you’re bringing that flair for subtlety that we’ve come to love over from the UKG. :D

Mike and Steve, great comments guys, you both nailed it for me :duim:

The bottom line is if people want to share then BRILLIANT!, and if they don’t?, well

that’s their prerogative, for what ever reason they may have. It doesn’t mean just

because they DON’T we have to form a mob, grab the burning torches and string

the poor sod up. Yes, sharing information is great and we’ve all benefited from it

no matter what the subject is but you’ve got to respect peoples decision not to and

say “Hey-Ho!†and just move on and pursue the answer to the questions yourself.

When Paul very first posted his thread up about the boots I never once thought

that he was ‘Lording it up’ and sitting at his keyboard singing merrily to himself

in a rather smug fashion “I know something that you don’t know Doo-Darh Doo-Darh!

My impression was that he was inviting us to share in his excitement and triumph of finding

something that he as spent years painstakingly searching for and had finally found.

Its obvious that it didn’t come across that way to everyone or we wouldn’t be discussing it now. :rolleyes:

The knowledge and information shared between all of us over the years as been

firnorminal when you think about it. And people like Paul-TM and Matt-T* (whether you like

him or not) have been invaluable and helped advance our understanding of the thing we love

in so many ways. Yes I get and understand how the smugness and superior stand point

of someone like Gino wound us all up, and I felt like killing him from time to time, but even

HE in a small way helped us to get to where we are now.

As a side note, if anyone wants to compare Pauls ‘so-called’ attitude to ‘sharing’ with Gino

and so forth, I suggest that you take a look at some of old threads on this and many other

forums and see that they are a million miles apart and nothing could be further from the truth.

To all those who share, thank you for your gracious generosity and for those who don’t ,

it may take longer but the truth will always out, what ever that may be. B)

Peace, out :salute:

Why?

Well , cause i think that hardcore infos like the real brand of the capehooks guys which wear a rubies helmet and a hasbro lightsaber not realy need to know , cause there standarts are very low.

Or why should someone which wear a FX armor and FX helmet know how the real strapping system looks.

Well..it doesn't matter him that his armor look in shape like garbage but he want to know the real strapping for more accuray.LOL.

I have FX armor but a different helm and are still trying to get everything as cannon as I can down to the strapping eventually...

Are you saying that If someone wears FX its ridiculous to make It as accurate as that kit can be?

sure Id love new more accurate armor but I made the mistake years ago of getting FX before I knew more about the community but Its just not possible for me money wise..

not to be rude or anything just wanted to ask..

as for the hoarding info..I personaly think its up to the person who has the info whether or not they give it out in the end..

I think it's possible to mod out and FX kit to make it more accurate and you can certainly add in a few details to do so.

However I think it is also unrealistic to be able to strap the FX armour in the screen used manner because of how different the kita are.

This does however give you right to prove me wrong, so get modifying :)

You have a point :rolleyes:

But basically what I'm saying is that if one person strives to do every in and out on there armor they possibly can and know how things should be but have the fx body armor, should that deny them access to said information?

just something to discuss no negativity here B)

Craig, mate, this says it all. “I’m a noob, but I think that you’re a bit of an an impolite person

so I’ll just stir the pot a bitâ€.

Nice to see that you’re bringing that flair for subtlety that we’ve come to love over from the UKG. :D

Peace, out :salute:

Sorry Billy but it was not my intention to 'stir the pot' and I certainly did not realise that my question to Paul about shring the maker of the boots would create such a response. I asked the question for two reasons, 1) As I tell my children, asking questions is a good way of finding out things you don't know and 2) Paul came up with his initial find well over two years ago and I thought that by asking it might have prompted him to share.

Clearly Paul had his reasons for not sharing, which have now been made clear, and he did put in the work to track down so many pairs of original make boots, well done to him. I personally do not have the time to invest in locating a pair of original make boots based on the information that is available but I am interested in the make and the history behind them, which I hope doesn't make me a bad person. :(

I would like to apologise to Paul for stirring things up and for being indirectly responsble for this thread and for upsetting anyone else with what I honestly thought was a harmless question, my bad. :(

(Paul, please don't punish anyone else for my error in judegement, you have a great find with those boots and the pictures you have shared so far will make it a lot easier for those with the inclination to find what they are looking for. :D )

Paul's boot issue isn't black and white as he's been asked not to share.

Personally I think it's a bit out of order and a little self soothing if I'm honest.

Why not share info? Seriously, why not?

If everyone did that, what a boring and slow moving world it would be.

You know you found out a little fact before anyone else, so pat on the back to you. Feel proud in your achievements. That said, does the whole world need to know you know something but won't share it?

No! You look like a fool acting like that.

If you want to keep it to yourself, do just that. Keep it to yourself.

I'm a big fan of sharing because one day, you may need some help yourself and helping others is a great thing. Great thing!

Use your knowledge (hard earned or handed on a plate) to help others, not yourself

The boot issue is a little more complex as the parties were asked not to share.

Paul may have been dropping hints that few picked up on, so it's a toughie.

As for other stuff, whatever you're reason, if your life isn't in danger, go for it, share away.

That said I know a few things I've not made public lol, but I was asked not too as it might detract from someone's book sales in a few years :)

Its an awkward one :)

Edited by john danter

Yeah, TDH is a great example. :rolleyes:

Every board has their flaws... And flawed members.

I know that I've personally spent about 100 hours trying to organize the wiki there to make it easier to find things, setting up the photo gallery, and babbling with Art about how to best help out on the costumer side of things.

I think what we do here in hobbyland is heavily influenced by what we do in other parts of life.

I work in relatively high end IT... doing server management / network security / that sort of stuff. The specifics of what I do today have almost no similarity to what I did 10 years ago. My whole career is about jumping on trends, getting good at stuff while it's still new, then moving on to the next thing.

So it makes sense that I'm all about sharing... I know that EVENTUALLY the details will get out, the recasting will happen, the links will be shared. So I'd rather just get it over with early and move on to the next hot new thing :)

I do have to say that I'm really impressed at how this is a conversation and not a fight. I think that says more about the community here than any trooper specific information could!

Every board has their flaws... And flawed members.

Oh I agree. :)

But when the issues are being brought to the attention of the forum admins and the "Dent" himself and no complaint from anyone with a post count of less than 1000 is acted upon then you have to question their ethics.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority will bend over backwards to help you. Its the vocal minority however that tend to drive away far too many new members with their bad attitude.And they are far too over indulged by the staff over there. :angry:

I think what we do here in hobbyland is heavily influenced by what we do in other parts of life.

I work in relatively high end IT... doing server management / network security / that sort of stuff. The specifics of what I do today have almost no similarity to what I did 10 years ago. My whole career is about jumping on trends, getting good at stuff while it's still new, then moving on to the next thing.

So it makes sense that I'm all about sharing.

I couldn't have said better myself dude....in fact I didn't just some 3 or 4 posts above lol ;)

I too work in IT as an ERP developer and have to learn new stuff as the client always wants the new 'gizmos' cloud transactions, web based access, remote access for clients, on and on it goes.

I'd never heard of these things when I started but understand them now. Mainly through the web/books, reading and asking about on what others have been kind enough to document and also just getting in there.

So I'm a fan of both worlds.

Find out for yourself yes but also hope you can just read/learn from others who are are already ahead of you.

Only today I solved a pretty niggly problem in work. It's been bugging us all for 2 weeks. As soon as I solved it I'd wrote down how to find and solve the problem (I've got about 2Gb of this kind of stuff on a USB pen I keep safe) and emailed my colleagues who all do the same as me so it will one day help them.

I could have kept it to myself and maybe I should as they're all a threat to my job and bringing food to the table, but what's the point. They've helped me in the past so it's only right I help them.

That's my job, my livelihood!

If I can apply that attitude there, I'm pretty sure we can do it for bits of plastic :)

Edited by john danter

I would not have the knowledge I have (which is minimal) without information being shared so from my point of view I am grateful to those that have.

Personally I would help anyone like I have been helped by everyone on here.

I will never discover a 'storm trooper holy grail' so will never be in a position to hoard but I would like to think if I did, I would share

(providing it was either my own research or I had permission if it was someone elses)

my.......this is a comfortable fence

I would not have the knowledge I have (which is minimal) without information being shared so from my point of view I am grateful to those that have.

Personally I would help anyone like I have been helped by everyone on here.

I will never discover a 'storm trooper holy grail' so will never be in a position to hoard but I would like to think if I did, I would share

(providing it was either my own research or I had permission if it was someone elses)

my.......this is a comfortable fence

Ditto! iam already amazed by the amount of knowledge people are willing to share on here.

This is an interesting thread. A good philosophical bone to chew on.

I think the issue is not hoarding absolutely vs. sharing absolutely. Rather it's about gathering information and then disseminating it carefully to those who - through some mechanism - are deemed "worthy".

Universities do it all the time. They have tons of information, but they spoon it out only to those who pay tuition.

At work people share information with colleagues - with the hope and expectation that the favor will be returned.

FISD offers plenty of info, but only those who make the commitment of logging in frequently and reading the threads reap the rewards.

• 2 years later...

As a newbie to Star Wars costuming, but a long timer at other genre costuming and FX makeup, I am of the opinion that just because someone has the knowledge, they may not have the skil to use it.  I do a lot of prosthetic FX work and I openly share my secrets. I have perfected a few interesting techniques for zombie prosthetics in creating spider veins and skin trauma and I am fine sharing, because even if someone knows what I do, it still takes a certain skill level to accomplish it. But they can at least head in the right direction and not waste money on substandard materials and equipment.  It's technical ability over natural ability.  As someone who enjoys both costuming and Star Wars, I feel it is my duty to pass on knowledge to other like minded fans.  Sure, we all want the best costume we can afford and to be unique, but I personally don't think it's good for the community to not point someone in the right direction in the interests of hoarding information.

As far as Star Wars costuming goes, especially that of Stormtroopers, it is very easy to make an expensive mis-step and can really dishearten you early on. There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there acting like they are selling quality official armor. I almost bought a set on eBay from a seller who shall remain nameless but sells the sets for $277. I had no idea about recasting and armor quality levels. The auction description certainly doesn't convey any issues.  The forums here enabled me to make an educated decision and spend my money a lot better. I still spent a good chunk of money on getting it, but I know that I am getting quality and will be happy with the purchase.  I'm fine making the weapons and accessories, but I don't have the tools to make armor.  This website has been a huge help and if anyone wants my vein techinque, let me know.  I can include pictures, but they are very gory and not for the squeamish.