TK vs. Mando?

Daetrin

I have to agree. I have seen some truly awful mercs, but I have also seen some really incredible ones that "wow" me. A couple of folks in my garrison have incredible costumes that look like they could have been in a one of the movies. I say if it looks good, rock it because it's your choice. Personally, I would never build one because I'm more of a movie canon kind of guy. It takes the guess work out of it since 95% of the public doesn't have a clue about anything outside of the 6 movies. I have heard comments like "look at all the Boba Fetts", or "what's wrong with Boba?", "why is Boba (insert color)?", and on and on. I even get odd comments about my Kashyyyk Trooper since many people haven't seen EP3 over and over like we have.... I get "recon scout", and "cammo or army scout" quite a bit. When I explain to people what the character is, it jogs their memory and they remember the scene. The mercs don't get that luxury and usually cause the public draw blank expressions when their origin is explained.

Stormtrooperguy, after seeing your Pre vizsla, I'm sure you could make any mando look great.

thanks!

but this wouldn't be great... this would be funny :)

i'm thinking making it comically bad. carboard armor barely painted, shag orange fabric, rubies boba helmet with a quick paint job on it. total disaster costume.

I think the sad part about this is that while you CAN so desire to be within 7 microns of screen accurate, as far as I know, neither the 501st nor this forum has EVER demanded such. Are there people here with all FX armor and are 100% welcome? There better be! Is there an alternative? Sure.

you forget how anal it was in the begining stages of Elite/ EIB troopers Scott lol :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

The majority of my armour, in the midst of final sanding and planishing:

SDC11753.jpg

This is eventually going to be my "movie-standard" Fenn Shysa -- i.e., using the ESB Boba colours as a starting point, rather than the poorly-coloured Marvel comics (for the one panel he was in with the green armour, in flashback). That way I can obfuscate any mistakes I've made with paint. ;)Sort of a custom, since I'm not doing it accurate to the erroneous comic colours.

My second one will be partially blackened, but largely unpainted, and incorporate lessons learned on this one. Yes, I do have a couple of Nerf dart-shooters as weapon bases in my arsenal (along with a bunch of other movie-based blasters), but following the spirit of the amended rule for such -- obliterating all "nerfiness", and altering the lines enough that it takes two-and-a-half glances to realize that's what it used to be. One is a larger, SAW-type blaster intended as a sort of big brother to the original Supertrooper uzi-blaster. The other is a modular carbine intended as a later model from the folks who made the EE-3. There are pieces of a Longshot, a Recon, and a Raider mixed in there, plus a lot of epoxy putty, some wood, PVC pipe, and so forth.

For those who decry Nerf guns as weapons bases, how many Original Trilogy blasters were practically unaltered real-world firearms, that many moviegoers spotted as such in an instant?

I have very high standards (part of what has taken me so long, in conjunction with finances and resources at only slightly above nil), regardless of film-accurate or idealized or custom. But comparing the practice of custom versions of Star Wars costumes to the practice of making more movie-accurate costumes (to say nothing of the anal-retentive absolute recreation of the actual film props, warts and all) is not even apples and oranges. More like... apples and celery. Maybe the same phylum, but waaaaaaaay different.

Moving on...

--Jonah

Edited by Peregrinus