TK vs. Mando?

Daetrin

Love the sentiment, esp since I'm having to acquiesce to my GML who has asked that I make my officer's uniform "pop." :blink: Not sure what he means,:huh: but I'll try.

Ā 

I'm also making vests and cloaks for local custom mandos (have to supplement my income somehow) and realize there are some rules to the mando world, but nothing like the requirements for the TKs. Besides, a whole row of white and shiny TKs all looking alike looks FANTASTIC! Okay, might be beat by a whole row of Black and shiny TXs (pref novatroopers) but then, I like black and shiny.

Ā 

Bring on the white and shiny crew! :trooper: Very funny cartoon. Have to remember this one.

I know I am going to have rotten fruit and vegetables thrown at me because this is a site dedicated to TK's, but I wouldn't have the name Rogue if it wasn't in my nature. ;)

Ā 

I think both ends of the spectrum has its appeal.

Ā 

The TK enthusiast are extremely diligent and have a drive to be screen accurate or at least for the most part. When someone builds a suit of armor to a very strict guideline and does it very well, other TK enthusiast see your dedication and acknowledge your work. It becomes a sense of pride in accomplishing a suit of armor that stands up to what you see on the screen.

Ā 

With the Mandalorian, I think it shows a flair of individuality to put your own spin on the armor/costume. Some people don't like having to fit into a strict guideline, but want to stand out and give it their own touch.

Ā 

I think both of them have their own place in the costuming/prop world and that what makes it interesting.

It's clear that whoever came up with this little doodle there is making fun of BOTH sides. Still I prefer to be our kind of nutter, especially because many custom Mandos look shucks regarding the costume quality.

A lot of these costumes aren't about being individual, but about cutting costs - That's why you get guys with painted Rubies Fett lids and cardboard armor feeling like a "real badass"... :rolleyes:

Edited by R2Dan

It's clear that whoever came up with this little doodle there is making fun of BOTH sides. Still I prefer to be our kind of nutter, especially because many custom Mandos look shucks regarding the costume quality.

A lot of these costumes aren't about being individual, but about cutting costs - That's why you get guys with painted Rubies Fett lids and cardboard armor feeling like a "real badass"... :rolleyes:

Ā 

Ā 

I agree with you on the illustration that Paul put up. Whoever did it, was "tongue in cheek" poking a bit of fun at both sides.

Ā 

I have seen cost cutting on both sides, where I have literally wanted to rip my eyes out when seeing some of the TK's and Mando's efforts that are not up to par. :shok::6:

Ā 

What I meant about individuallity is coming up with the paint schemes and design work on decent looking armor and helmets, not cardboard and cheap Halloween lids.

I think the sad part about this is that while you CAN so desire to be within 7 microns of screen accurate, as far as I know, neither the 501st nor this forum has EVER demanded such. Are there people here with all FX armor and are 100% welcome? There better be! Is there an alternative? Sure.

Ā 

I just hate it when you have something as "mature" as the 501st (and by that, I mean as in 11+ years of existence) having to always defend the history. I can guarantee the 501st was VERY forgiving when we were just two or three years into our existence. The other splinter groups are going to go through the process just as the 501st (and the FISD) did, we just have a large jump on them in terms of growth and experience.

Ā 

Keep in mind this is an apples to oranges comparison, and leave it at that. We are all Star Wars fans, and don't get dragged into the argument. I have yet to hear a 501st member throwing a fit all over because another group is too loose with their standards. We may not understand it, but we usually recognize it is NOT the 501st, so there is no reason to argue.

Ā 

My only hope is those of us (and there are many) who are dual members start to bring the ideas of both out into the open, and show these types of differences are not really helping anyone.

there's a place in the world for all of us. i think that strip jabs at the edges of both sides. the people who go just a little too loose on their customs, and the people who take their troopers just a wee bit too far.

Ā 

Yup. I saw it the same way and hope it encourages people to consider how silly either extreme is.

the people who go just a little too loose on their customs, and the people who take their troopers just a wee bit too far.

Ā 

Thing is, the people who go "a wee bit too far" just go to all extremes recreating the actual prop seen in the movies. What exactly is the fantasy mando faction doing? It's comparing EU custom stuff to movie purist views, that is apples and oranges. But yeah, EU custom stuff is just a free-for-all thing where there seem to be no boundaries...

Its just a picture poking fun at BOTH sides.

Ā 

The Mandalorian Mercs do not seek to place themselves in the canon Star Wars universe, nor do we hope to someday Ć¢ā‚¬ĖœusurpĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ the 501st, as the rumors say. The Mandalorian Mercs are simply a group of individuals who wish expand on the Mandalorian characterization set forth by author Karen Traviss by allowing a certain amount of creativity and customization when it comes to the creation of our costumes. We do have set standards that all applicants must adhere to before becoming official members.

Ā 

Mandalorians are well represented in Star Wars cannon literature with a variety of brightly colored armor and unique variations. Just as Stormtroopers have been expanded upon in EU with dark troopers, commandos and more variations seen in the 501st ranks.

Ā 

There is also alot of bad language trash talking on the cartoons site that I guarantee are NOT the official views of the 501st or the Mando Mercs. Just some people trying to "stir the pot". I have trooped along side the 501st and the RL as a Merc. And I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about all sides.

So, whatever negativity is being said on this artists site, I hope it will be shadowed and forgotten by the friendship that we all share at events and on our sites.

Ā 

Ā 

I would agree, I think the pic is great as it has a laugh at both ends. I have taken to laughing at myself when squad mates ask a small question and it takes me 5 minutes to answer them, or when I watch any of the classic trilogy anymore, that it's just not the same, since I notice all the TK problems lol.

Ā 

On the Merc side though, I am not a huge fan. I have no problem with customizing your own thing but as I quoted, most I have seen just go the cheapest route possible. I have probably seen four custom mandos that I thought were amazing and could have easily been in any film, because those people really put some time and effort in the suit. Saw quite a few at CV that were definitely not in that category.

I think the cartoon is hilarious. Definitely hitting the crazy extremes on both sides.

Ā 

Seriously though, I've seen some jaw dropping Mandos that were on par with anything that was from the films. I've also seen some piss-poor ones as well. On the whole, all the Mandos I've come across were great troopers and the vast majority of there costumes were very well done.

Ā 

There is some fun in taking the iconic look from the films and going into a non-canon paint job or build.

First...IT WAS A JOKE!!!!!! (and a damn fine one too!) :lol: Next if you get down to it...."No Mando's", then "No Clone's"....I think you know the last group to fall off the list! :P (and just for that I think I will have 'nuf black ABS, too do a Shadow Troop, and a very 'Mando TK'...... :o ...just to hear the lip's flap!!!!)hehehehehe

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in all three clubs. I thought the cartoon was really funny, but it was the artist's comment at the bottom that was kind of harsh one way.

Ā 

Oh and R2Dan, sorry but the Mercs have not allowed cardboard armor for as long as I have known. The Nerf issue was slightly fixed recently...but I think they should be outright banned. But I am sure in the 501st's infancy that the Hasbro E-11s were allowed, right? I read some of the comments on the drawing's page from some hateful Legion members. All I do do was think two things. One, I would like to see them try to make a Mando and actually get approved...since we have no standards. I bet if they even could finish, that they would be denied membership a few times like most people applying. The other thing I thought, which I really wish, is that those haters would just be quiet. They make the Legion look like a bunch of assholes & elitist pricks, all the while in the process of tearing down a fellow costuming club. Crap like that is stuff the can make LFL tell us to STFU and shut down.

Ā 

I'm just glad I live in a great area with almost everyone being nice and open-minded, realizing that this is all just fun and helping each other be better.

I'll be honest, I'm a member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club before a trooper, but both sides do have their downsides. Personally I chose to do a mando first merely because I liked them more. As well as the "mando-ing" aspect of custom paint jobs, it helped to get to do my first foray into costuming the way I wanted it to look.

Ā 

And yes, there are members of the mercs that I sometimes wonder how they got in, or why a Hot Wheelsesque painted helmet is ok. And then there are people who look pretty mir'shebs in their beskar'gam.

Ā 

But looking at the mercs CRLs and work done by the members, then looking at a few 501st Boba's whose coloring is not even the same green, it just made me want to do mandalorians justice jn my own way.

Ā 

On te other hand I've always liked the stormies, the armor is awesome looking and the weapons are killer looking (even if they can't do jack squat with them) I just favor the idea that you get to choose your own paintjob, and make a backstory to go with every dent and scratch your merc had come across.

Ā 

And truly never have liked the idea of trooping with a painted nerd gun. My current sidearm was a mixture of parts that I added together and gave a nice black paintjob to it. That way it has a more blaster feel.

Ā 

Soooooo yeah, that's my take on the comparisson. Sorry for going against TKs to favor mandos, don't shoot me (not that stormtroopers could hit me. Sorry I tried to resist that I really did :D)

I'm in all three clubs. I thought the cartoon was really funny, but it was the artist's comment at the bottom that was kind of harsh one way.

Ā 

Oh and R2Dan, sorry but the Mercs have not allowed cardboard armor for as long as I have known. The Nerf issue was slightly fixed recently...but I think they should be outright banned. But I am sure in the 501st's infancy that the Hasbro E-11s were allowed, right? I read some of the comments on the drawing's page from some hateful Legion members. All I do do was think two things. One, I would like to see them try to make a Mando and actually get approved...since we have no standards. I bet if they even could finish, that they would be denied membership a few times like most people applying. The other thing I thought, which I really wish, is that those haters would just be quiet. They make the Legion look like a bunch of assholes & elitist pricks, all the while in the process of tearing down a fellow costuming club. Crap like that is stuff the can make LFL tell us to STFU and shut down.

Ā 

I'm just glad I live in a great area with almost everyone being nice and open-minded, realizing that this is all just fun and helping each other be better.

Ā 

We love you too Jim! As noted it was a joke playing on both sides extremes. And yes, while some in the 501st may laugh, it wasn't that long ago that out of the box FX was in the majority and we used to tease the RL for having bathrobe Jedi's in turn. Things have evolved very fast in both groups - faster than many members probably remember (and I say this as there are now only 6 active people in GT that have been in the garrison longer than I have, other garrions MMV). The Mercs are evolving equally fast, and it's perhaps best to remember that people in glass houses rule. The UK Garrison excepted perhaps, there are still areas of the 501st that are still back where things where in 2005.

I guess I have to chime in again:

Ā 

MOST of the custom Mandos I've seen are rather sloppily put together, from a quality point of view. I don't even know if we have the "Mando Mercs" here in Germany, but we do have custom Mandos, and most of them are sporting cardboard armour and badly painted Rubies lids with some cheapo toy gun - the bigger, the better!

That's not my cup of tea at all. I don't even get the whole "let us invent some guys that look somewhat like Boba, but not quite, so we can be individualistic", but again that's just me. I'm also not into geeky roleplaying, with invented characters and backstories. Again, that's me, and if you're cool with it, perfect!

Ā 

But don't turn into a sissy just because some others will go rolling their eyes when they see a crappily executed custom costume when their own standards are on a very different level. That's just how it is. Oh and I have seen well made custom Mandos as well (well, one) and although I still don't get the idea behind it, I can applaude that guy on a well-made costume that sells the look and seems like it could have been on screen in some kind of (Star Wars) movie. That was one out of a good few dozens... sad but true.

Ā 

By the way, we're getting all these custom Mando guys here all of a sudden, just after that comic was posted... the spirits that I called, anyone?! :D

Edited by R2Dan