Just received my 1st kit, an AM and already having issues

Hey guys,

I just got my AM kit but have no idea where to start. I lined up the forearms (the inner fitting into the outer) and it seems like I have a lot to trim, but don't know where to measure to know how much to take off and where; the length is fine though. Also I tried to line up the biceps and the inner won't fit into the outer. I assume that is how its supposed to be since the outer has the molded cover strips so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? I've looked at the AM tutorials but I don't see anything for what I need. Its just that I'm not mechanically inclined and have never done anything like this before. I know I can do it, I just need some help on where to start and for the 2 aforementioned issues. Thanks!

Jim

Check this out bro, it's legit! There are links to various AM builds here that will help you on your way. Ask these guys (and myself) any questions you have about your AM kit we're happy to help out a new trooper! :trooper:

----

As for the measuring, that's entirely up to your size and shape. For the parts that overlap, I like to size it to myself and use blue painter's tape to hold it in place for when I take it back off. Then you have a general idea of how much needs to be trimmed off. That method worked great on my thighs and calves! The pieces don't always line up perfectly either, so patience and sandpaper are valuable as well. Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Blue tape is your friend, and if you cut everything bigger than I you estimate, you can always take it down more. Those were the major things I learned from my first build. And its harder to mess up things sanding by hand, but I will take you much longer. Yes it is over whelming and yes it looks like a lot, but just take it one piece at a time. And there will be points where You will think you are taking off a lot, but in reality AM was built to fit dudes who where over 6'6" and 250+ so if you aren't quiet that big, you will think you are really messing things up. But trust me, when in doubt as long as you over estimate, you shouldnt ever really find yourself in trouble. Just make sure you take one of your "belt" stips and measure out your Joint strips, if you are going to use them, and set them aside. The rest of the "belt" plates should give you plenty of extra material for shims, joining strips and anything else you might goof on in the beginning. I screwed up plenty in doing this kit, and thats with following Terry's and Brian's threads. But I was able to find the light at the end of the tunnel. Dont give up yet....

Hey guys,

I just got my AM kit but have no idea where to start. I lined up the forearms (the inner fitting into the outer) and it seems like I have a lot to trim, but don't know where to measure to know how much to take off and where; the length is fine though. Also I tried to line up the biceps and the inner won't fit into the outer. I assume that is how its supposed to be since the outer has the molded cover strips so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions? I've looked at the AM tutorials but I don't see anything for what I need. Its just that I'm not mechanically inclined and have never done anything like this before. I know I can do it, I just need some help on where to start and for the 2 aforementioned issues. Thanks!

Jim

Also make sure your wear your undersuit and measure it! close them to together, then draw a line with pencil. Then score using a plastic cutter! you can get it a ACE Hardware for cheap. Then snap the pieces! then you line both ends together like how you would line up 2 rulers side by side! then tape them at both sides and fit it! Once you are happy, cut cover strips! and cover the seams!

Are you thinking of doing cover strips? See the shins that i have attached. Biceps,forearm,thighs,shins i used same method.

ALWAYS CUT LESS maybe with 1cm first then another 1cm! but if you cut 1 inch, you can use the excess as cover strip or inner strip.

In this pic i have added inner strips and waiting for it to cure. I use E6000 glue! they are the best!!

Do drop me a PM and send me your email ID, i will forward and help where i can!

There is also a how-to series on Youtube that shows construction of an FX kit. The pieces are slightly different, but in terms of prepping with the painters tape, marking and cutting the pieces, it's helpful. It's sometimes easier to see it done from A to B with video rather than see it in just pictures.

Edited by NoVATie

• 2 weeks later...

The AM kits have really large biceps. If you are cutting it down to fit a normal size bicep, there is going to be mis-alignment. To get them to line up, you are going to have to manipulate the ABS. I think the best solution would be to use the heat sealing iron method. But do some test first on scrap material to get the hang of the process.

The method is easy to do and you can get excellent results. Just look at the link and the two videos below. You can purchase a heat sealing iron at most hobby shops that sell RC airplane kits.

HOWTO: Make a return edge on armor using a heat sealing iron: ----

Edited by gmrhodes13

The pieces don't always line up perfectly and may take some "finesse-ing" to get right. I always lined up the sides that people could see the best, and the inner edges may have been less perfect. Some trimming or heat-gun work may get the edges to play nice, just take your time. The plastic does have some give so you may be able to get things to line up when you glue them, even though it doesn't seem like it just holding the pieces up.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I was just wondering what kind of setter and tools do I need for the line 24 snaps? I saw something about a mallet and an anvil. Thanks again!

Is this okay? ----

Edited by gmrhodes13

If you get the "Easy to do" kits from tandy, it comes with 20 snaps and a setter and the little anvil. Everything you need to make 20 snap plates. Get 2 packs, you can do an entire set of armor and have a few extras as spares.

----

Edited by gmrhodes13

• 1 month later...

Are you clamping the parts properly? Normally theres not that glue oozing out. You might be using too much glue too. My E6000 is clear, not yellow like your pictures.

You should squeeze 2 long beads of E6000 along one surface, then the same on the other. Spread it flat (don't spread it to the edge, leave about 1/8" before the edge.). Once you spread with a popsicle stick on both surfaces, let it tack up a few mins, then use spring clamps. This will press both parts together with little or no gap and only a few drops of glue will ooze out. You can simply rub these off after they have cured.

If your biceps need to be that size and the return is getting in the way, just trim it down.

You can remove cured cover strips by forcing a flat chisel between the armor and cover strip.

Are you clamping the parts properly? Normally theres not that glue oozing out. You might be using too much glue too. My E6000 is clear, not yellow like your pictures.

You should squeeze 2 long beads of E6000 along one surface, then the same on the other. Spread it flat (don't spread it to the edge, leave about 1/8" before the edge.). Once you spread with a popsicle stick on both surfaces, let it tack up a few mins, then use spring clamps. This will press both parts together with little or no gap and only a few drops of glue will ooze out. You can simply rub these off after they have cured.

If your biceps need to be that size and the return is getting in the way, just trim it down.

You can remove cured cover strips by forcing a flat chisel between the armor and cover strip.

Thanks Terry. And my E6000 is clear, must be the lighting and I probably did use too much. And I didn't use a popsicle stick to spread it out first. I probably will take some of the return edge off. I will try to post some good pics of the return edge, so you know what I'm working with. And we're not using cover strips, but the overlay method. Also I forgot to sand first before gluing; perhaps that also lead to my dilemma. But I think the return edge is my biggest problem right now. BTW I just got my RT-mod bucket :D

Edited by JimCem99