CAP armor?

Vultren

No, I'm done. No need to move it. It's pretty clear no one checks that section, so is pretty much just sweeping things under the carpet. But good to hear about the anti-recasting stance.

But, as a final - it's not recasting if permission is given - but a recaster cannot give permission, even though he doesn't care - it's still the original maker that was recast you have to ask permission from and not after the fact - and so far I haven't heard any proof that things were settle with CAP, so that whole line is tainted. That's the main difference between copying and recasting: permission.

Edited by Too Much Garlic

Ha all I wanted to know was a little more information on CAP. I appreciate the responses guys.

When I bought my suit and put things together on it, I never once thought about it being a recast or a copy. I had no knowledge on the make except it looked awesome. I still believe it looks awesome and so do fans at events.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2010 at 6:24 AM, Too Much Garlic said:

Hey, when all is said and done, I'd love to see some pictures of your armor.

Here is Daetrin and I at the DK Books event yesterday in Washington State.

------------

I'm the shorter one. My armor is CAP, his is TE.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply guys, been busy and just read this. Nice pic and great looking troopers!

Get over the "original legit" and "recaster" thing already. Brian Muir & the 70's crew are the OG's everyone else is a copy cat in some form or other PERIOD. This is for fun not to be anylized half to death guys! :wacko:

CAP or CAP-West is the same thing. I'll break it down to you:

CAP suit is cast from a 2005 TE Sandtrooper.

CAP stormie parts were cast from TM pieces: Knee plate & ab decorations (use your imagination as to how CAP may have gotten hold of the TM stuff).

There are some SDS pieces too.

There's also a few different sets of com cover bucks...TE, SDS, modded AP's for Hero, etc.

Now since I've had the thing I've gone through many of the bucks and cleaned them up. Lots of Bondo and spot glazing putty, lots of sanding, etc.

Yes Daetrin is correct, the knee bandolier and belt bucks are made of wood. Wooden bucks are quite common.

The Thermal det cannister bucks are no longer Crashmann, the end caps are made from pipe, resin, and funnels. (for vacforming). The keypad itself is a 2" PVC Tee cut down and modified with a washer glued to it and an electrical Terminal Block screwed to it. Nothing fancy, pretty common for these kits... the TE ROTJ and Crashmann utilize the same set up.

As for any of the pieces in the suit...... the thing originates from an ROTJ touring suit. I've held the TE ROTJ stuff in my hands, it looks EXACTLY the same as the TE, TE2, CAP with the exception of the ab decorations, the butt and kidney being united, and the helmet. The gauntlets, biceps, and bells are diferent in that there are only one of each buck and the gauntlet seemed to be cut short at the wrist.(TE ROTJ)

The helmet faceplate is very sharp and this is what first attracted me to CAP. See for yourself in these pics guys:

V9WQYCj.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

One last thing. I would have never ended up with the CAP stuff if not for the fact that TE ripped me off on an SFS helmet and I was tired of paying 8 to 9 Benjamins for flimsy plastic with more often than not disappointing characteristics. Oh and the waiting game we've all been through....... six months for my first ANH suit, 8 for my second, etc.

Whatever they may say about CAP he was a man you could take at his word. He never lied. He was trustworthy in that respect. It's a mistake to exhault anyone for copying an original and at the same time criticize someone for copying the copy. think about that. ;)

One last thing. I would have never ended up with the CAP stuff if not for the fact that TE ripped me off on an SFS helmet and I was tired of paying 8 to 9 Benjamins for flimsy plastic with more often than not disappointing characteristics. Oh and the waiting game we've all been through....... six months for my first ANH suit, 8 for my second, etc.

Whatever they may say about CAP he was a man you could take at his word. He never lied. He was trustworthy in that respect. It's a mistake to exhault anyone for copying an original and at the same time criticize someone for copying the copy. think about that. ;)

Can't go wrong with CAP-W.. ;) my 2 cents!