Question for long haired troopers

Hello, I know this is going to seem like an odd question, but what do you do with your hair when it is quite long.? My hair is thick and about shoulder blade length. I have tried tucking it into my helmet (didn't fit), tried tucking it into my neckseal (made a huge lump on the back of the neck) and tried braiding it (made for a lump on each side of my neck).

I know there should be an easy fix for it, but at this point I think the only thing I can see would be to get a bigger helmet just to be able to put my hair inside (my husbands FX fits my hair, but I know that is out of the question).

• 1 month later...

leave it long and flat, and use the baclava.

I have just let it lay under the neckseal in back with no baclava and it lays down pretty well.

also a good idea to use a little gel to keep it under control.

Yep, leave it flat and put a balaclava on - it's the best way I found, as you can evenly spread the hair around your head and won't get any problems closing your neckseal or putting on the lid. Long hair is easy, I remember one guy on the MEPD had dreadlocks :lol:

I'm having trouble getting a balaclava - every time I go in to the store, they say it should be in next week. If they don't have it by this weekend, I will have to order one on-line.

I've tried to just tuck it in to my neck seal (flat) and it works it's way out the top (the balaclava should stop that though). For now I've just had my husband braid it strait down the back, which leaves a weird looking and feeling bulge at the back of my neck. I tried having two braids, which put two bulges on the sides of my neck instead. The only time I tried having a "bun" sitting inside my helmet, I could not get my helmet on with the bun already pinned in place and if I try having it tucked into my helmet, it changes where my helmet sits and I can see even less than before.

Current issue to fix though - how to get the gloves and forearm to fit over a splint. :unsure:

• 3 months later...

Yep, leave it flat and put a balaclava on - it's the best way I found, as you can evenly spread the hair around your head and won't get any problems closing your neckseal or putting on the lid. Long hair is easy, I remember one guy on the MEPD had dreadlocks :lol:

Just imagining a head full of dreads cramped up in a balaclava/helmet for a few hours is quite enough. I wonder how that smells afterwards?

On a related note, do the balaclavas breathe easily? I have decent length hair and was considering the purchase of one, but I'm not sure how neckseal+helmet+balaclava would hold up in Florida heat!

Current issue to fix though - how to get the gloves and forearm to fit over a splint. :unsure:

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Lori-Ann, have you considered two buns Leia style?

Just kidding! :lol:

Balaclava is the way to go, I believe. My hair is starting to get considerably long and I bought a balaclava, just in case.

I also use a bandana sometimes, as it tends to work better (it's cooler than the balaclava and has lower chances of creating fog.)

Sorry about your hand. Get well soon!

I have a long hair and it's difficult for me to manage my head to get inside the helmet and during trooping. I could do the balaclava thing, but I wear eyeglasses, and a balaclava sounds like a bad idea if I'm terrified of fogged up lenses. I might take care of the hair problem, but then i'll end up with the (double) fogging problem