Which armor is better for a bigger trooper? Read Here ...

ELP

DISCLAIMER: This post is in no way saying that the suits here are your only options. These are just the two that we happen to have on hand and that I built. There are many other options, but these are the two names that are mentioned most often when the topic of "what would fit a bigger trooper" comes up.

Hi All,

After seeing a huge amount of troopers asking "what armour would fit a bigger trooper" I went and asked around and no body had any measurements.

I asked the maker of AM and the maker of RT and they both gave me their blessings to share this information with you, the "Larger Trooper". The contact details can be found on another post, so please don't ask me, as I won't reply.

My wife is about 6 feet tall and in an mostly untrimmed RT full kit (including Helmet). (I tried Lisa's on when I was 220lbs and it fit nicely).

Here's Lisa:

1%20-%20Front%20-%20no%20Bucket.JPG

I'm 6'1" and 195 and in a trimmed AM kit (with an eFX helmet).

Here's me:

1%20-%20lidless.JPG

I haven't trimmed any length/height in any of those parts so they could both fit someone taller than 6 / 6'1" easily. Both kits fit me easily and very well and they both look Fantastic!

Hope this helps us bigger guys and gals with dreams of plastic.

matt.

PS - My wife likes the AM thighs. As she said, "Those could be for women with big thighs".

PPS - As both of these kits have been made and glued and snapped together I can no longer get any "out of the box" measurements. Sorry.

PPPS - I have a 24" head circumfrence and I fit the RT helmet but I pull out the top padding, and I can only just squeeze into the eFX. But that's all I'm saying on Helmets.

These measurements are taken on the outside / lateral aspect of limbs while the trooper is standing up with their arms hanging at their sides, palms facing forward.

RT-MOD Version 5 (Bought June 2010)

Limb Lengths:

- Length of Thighs: hip bone to knee = 13â€

- Length of Calves: outer side of the knee to below the ankle= 14â€

Note: thigh and calf pieces should not meet as this would interfere with leg motion

- Length of Bicep + Shoulder Bell: Top of the shoulder to elbow = 18†(max – this distance can easily be and is meant to be shorted via strapping during assembly)

- Length of Forearm: Elbow to wrist (on the outside of the arm – non palm side) = 11†(this piece should not fully cover your wrist as it may restrict hand movement)

Note: Bicep and forearm pieces should not meet as this would interfere with arm motion.

Limb Circumferences:

These measurements are taken on the outside of the armour at the widest part of the largest muscle group on that portion of the limb.

- Circumference of forearm = 14â€

- Circumference of Thigh = 26â€

- Circumference around calf muscle = 18â€

- Circumference around Bicep Muscle = 18â€

Waist:

Max Circumference of an unshimmed joined waist = 41â€

Torso Pieces:

- Cod and abdomen pieces combined height (taken in the middle from lowest point of the crotch to highest point of the abdomen): 21.5â€

- Kidney and butt pieces combined height (taken in the middle from lowest point of the crotch to highest point of the abdomen) : 20.5†(the butt on the RT rides a bit high – it might seem odd but it looks more natural than having the same height front and back)

Chest and Back:

Please note: These pieces are meant to hang and not connect (plastic to plastic) front to back around the torso.

- Chest Height (midline top of the sternum to bottom of the sternum): 12.5â€

- Chest Width (around the bottom of the ribs): 18â€

- Back Height (lowest part of the back neck line to bottom of the piece): 11â€

- Back Width (around the bottom of the piece): 16â€

AM ARMOUR KIT (Purchased July 2010)

Limb Lengths:

- Length of Thighs: hip bone to knee = 13â€

- Length of Calves: outer side of the knee to below the ankle= 14.5â€

Note: thigh and calf pieces should not meet as this would interfere with leg motion

- Length of Bicep + Shoulder Bell: Top of the shoulder to elbow = 15†(max – this distance can easily be and is meant to be shorted via strapping during assembly)

- Length of Forearm: Elbow to wrist (on the outside of the arm – non palm side) = 10 1/4†(this piece should not fully cover your wrist as it may restrict hand movement)

Note: Bicep and forearm pieces should not meet as this would interfere with arm motion.

Limb Diameters:

These measurements are taken on the outside of the armour at the widest part of the largest muscle group on that portion of the limb.

Note: The AM kit come with extra material around some pieces which easily allows for a customized fit by slightly trimming pieces. This procedure is fully explained in the instructions.

- Circumference of forearm = 16†(max)

- Circumference of Thigh = 29†(max)

- Circumference around calf muscle = 21.5†(max)

- Circumference Bicep Muscle = 18.5†(max)

Waist:

Max Circumference of an unshimmed joined waist = 42â€

Torso Pieces:

- Cod and abdomen pieces combined height (taken in the middle from lowest point of the crotch to highest point of the abdomen): 20.5â€

- Kidney and butt pieces combined height (taken in the middle from lowest point of the crotch to highest point of the abdomen): 19â€

Chest and back:

Please note: The AM chest and back pieces curve around the body and as such can give a very good looking fit.

- Chest Height (midline top of the sternum to bottom of the sternum): 12â€

- Chest Width (around the bottom of the ribs): 24.5â€

- Back Height (lowest part of the back neck line to bottom of the piece): 13.5â€

- Back Width (around the bottom of the piece): 23â€

My Details:

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 200 lbs.

Legs (hip bone to ankle): 34"

Arms (top of the shoulder to wrist): 23"

Torso height (pubic symphysis to top of the sternum): 24.5"

Chest (below armpits): 44"

Waist (At hip bones): 39"

Waist (at belly button): 37"

Edited by ELP
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hello sir

I'm about 6'1 and 280lbs

Is AM armor for me?

Ernesto - A trooper posted in your post on Special Ops - he's 6'4" and 275 in AM ... so I'd say that'd be your best bet (if you're going black).

• 1 month later...

Aloha all,

Beware, there's a bunch of cash burning a hole in my PayPal account.

I have been mostly lurking here since about January. I read FISD every day, often multiple times a day. I curse the IP.Board iPhone app as a serious impediment to my productivity, but at least it looks like I'm doing work.

The TK related trinkets I've purchased continue to pour in slowly but it is finally time to buy some armor. But what armor to buy? I'm posting in this thread because I'm 6'5" (when I stand up straight) and it didn't seem necessary to post yet another tall size related thread. My questions stem from a healthy fear of large swaths of black undersuit.

I wear a 44L, 33-34 inseam, 40 waist (and shrinking), 37 inch monkey arms and I weigh 245 lbs. I don't have super long legs and most of my height is in my torso.

Below are ELP's AM and RT-MOD measurements side by side.

PART					RT-MOD	AM
Length of Thighs			13	13
Length of Calves			14	14.5
Length of Bicep + Shoulder Bell		18	15
Length of Forearm			11	10.25
Circumference of forearm 		14	16
Circumference of Thigh			26	29
Circumference around Calf Muscle 	18	21.5
Circumference around Bicep Muscle	18	18.5
Waist					41	42
Cod and abdomen pieces combined height	21.5	20.5
Kidney and butt pieces combined height 	20.5	19
Chest Height 				12.5	12
Chest Width				18	24.5
Back Height				11	13.5
Back Width				16	23

According to these measurements, it would seem to me that RT-MOD is the way to go. I don't think I need much room inside the thighs or calves from AM. A little extra length in the RT-MOD forearm seems like a good thing too. The best reason for me to go RT-MOD looks like the slightly longer cod/ab and kidney/butt pieces? Also it sounds like Rob can customize some parts if I think they won't be long enough.

Oh and I wouldn't mind the oversized RT-MOD helmet too. Is that EIB-able?

What do you folks think? AM or RT-MOD?

With Aloha,

-Eric

• Like 1

I received my EIBs with RT armor, and the ANH one with a slightly modified RT helmet. I had to change out the smoke-colored lenses for green ones and add the third screw underneath the tube on each side, but that's it as everything else was good to go. Although it is a little larger than a screen-accurate bucket, it's not so much larger as to be out of place, and the bit of extra room inside is nice.

Agreed on the additional length of the ab/cod/kidney/butt sections. I'm 6'3" and they look proportional. Good stuff!

Hi Matt,

Luv the shadow stormtrooper armor. Was it initially white and you had it resprayed black or AM FX kit comes in black as well.

I also acquired an AM FX last month. I must agree that it fits for bigger and tall individual. Had to cut away alot to have it fit me comfortably. Its my first armor and I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

As hear from alot of people that both of these armour sets are fantastic but sadly they are not made to suit my 213cm/7ft frame. Mods are the only way to go....soon enough tho.

As hear from alot of people that both of these armour sets are fantastic but sadly they are not made to suit my 213cm/7ft frame. Mods are the only way to go....soon enough tho.

If you email Rob (RT-mod) your measurements he can make custom length limb pieces. I sent him my thigh and calf lengths and luckily they're not too long. I fear large swaths of black undersuit showing :)

Aloha,

-Eric

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi All - Thanks for the posts. Sorry I lost all my "thread post notifications" when the new look happened (nice by the way).

Thanks for making the size chart Eric - That's Fantastic!

And Dave if you're looking to go Sandy Grab the AM in white - comes with the handplates, proper ab plate and proper knee plate for both the TK and TD.

And head over to Alpine as well - Great bunch of folks! And if you see Izzi (the XO) tell him to mail me my glassware ;) (just kidding he's my DL over at Spec. Ops - and a great guy!)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Matt and Lisa,

We'll I am finally going back to full armour! More for special events and when the request for Stormtrooper over other armour comes in. If I can do it at 5'11", 46", waist 300lbs, all you others can do it. Will send out pics when the AM armour get here and built!

Anyone do Space trooper mods or add on kits??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Im 6 foot 4 any help

Even though I'm not into the whole brevity thing man...

What's your waist size and weight?

Aloha,

-Eric

Sorry guys I'm rarely over on this side of the plastic colour spectrum. Thanks to everyone poking in and helping out on the questions.

My personal preference is for the Black AM kit ... But as RT is a Canadian Made kit - If I were to go for a TK that would be my choice. Just my opinion ...

Jim to answer your question I'd think both kits would work for you, but please have a read through a few of the build threads here on the FISD, and ask a few troopers that are close to your size what kits they have and how they fit.

Thanks again for looking after this orphaned post guys!

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

just to throw a spanner in the works, but i stand in at 213cm or 7ft tall for old schoolers. It was a close call but i think i pulled of the AM kit well without too much difficulty and without too much black showing. oh and i have the build to match the height....

Even after the AM makers told me via email that it would be rather snug, dream to achieve and it shall be so! :P

• 1 month later...

newbie starting a major diet next week, goal is to be fully armored ANH stunt or hero or sandtrooper, here are my measurements b4 diet.

im 6 foot 3 inches tall

head cirfumference, 24.5 inches

chest (underarms) 53 1/2

bicep circum, 18 1/2 -19

waist. 53 1/2 (and shrinkn)

thigh length 29 inches

thigh length 20 inches

inseam 27 inches

forearrm circum, 15 inches

shoulders (at widest point) 60 1/2 inches

calf circumference , 22 inches

shin length 20 inches

neck 20 inches

i was thinking about getting started on the helmet , any siggestions???