What to expect?

Lysol24

I recently decided to get my Stormtrooper armor and I thought I had done sufficient research. Turns out I might have been wrong. After I ordered I started finding all this info. on different armor types, mods, etc. Well, I ordered my armor from an online halloween costume store, its listed as "Authentic Stormtrooper Costume Supreme Edition" My question is, does anyone have any experience with this type of armor? Would this be classified as FX, Ap, or what? And how much work can I look forward to to make this wearable? And finally, will it be good enough to join the 501st? Thanks for any help.

Is this the one you purchased?

Ā 

http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Edition-Stormtrooper-Adult-Costume/dp/B001GZSBL8

Ā 

If so, you probably have to do quite a bit of work to get it to meet 501st standards. Unfortunately, you could have gotten a screen accurate kit for that price if not much less. :(

Ā 

There's a few threads on here where people have modified Rubies costumes, but they are a lot of work and in the long run, probably not the best solution.

Ā 

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Well that sucks, thats the one I ordered. I'll check out their return policy and try to send it back. I'll have to do some research and find somewhere to get a screen accurate one. If I do get a screen accurate costume, I can still expect to have to make the straps and stuff right? I've already ordered the IS Velcro, snaps, elastic, and stuff. I knew it sounded to good to be true. Thanks guys.

Some accurate armor comes assembled, but also costs more. Sadly, yes, the official armors are simply POS. Not worth your money. They have the resources, the access and the ability to make super accurate stuff, but they don't bother - apparently their policy is spend little and profit much. Problem is... the amount they spend could easily get them the accurate offering... so... they are not saving anything, actually spending lots of manufacturing... and they are driving away costumer.

Ā 

Check out AP/ABS-80 or TM armor.

Ā 

The cheaper kits are the inaccurate FX or recast armor.

Edited by Too Much Garlic

Justin, that sucks that you have bought that, I feel for ya! I doubt you'll be able to return it, but I'd suggest trying to sell it on CraigsList, as eBay is already saturated with listings for it. At least you found this site and can start over with a better set of armor.

Ā 

Check out---------to find out where to get great armor, and their prices.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I've already ordered the IS Velcro,

I would like to put a point on this:

I tried industrial velcro on my first armor and after I decided to use it no more. The reason is because the real problem, in my opinion, is not the hooking system but the glue between the velcro and the plastic. And the more the hooking system is good the more the chance to take away the velcro from the plastic is high, when you stress it to take off your pieces.

Ā 

By the way, about the armor: I don't know how international laws work, but you should have the possibility to return it if you're not satisfied.

Edited by lightside

It's best if you score the area where the IS velcro is going to go. Sand that area first to remove any gloss, then use an exacto blade and make some criss-cross pattern where it's going to stick. It's just like any other glue--it needs something to get a grip on. Also, the IS velcro adhesive needs to set up for about a day before you try to pull it apart. This is the way I did mine and have never had a problem.

It's best if you score the area where the IS velcro is going to go. Sand that area first to remove any gloss, then use an exacto blade and make some criss-cross pattern where it's going to stick. It's just like any other glue--it needs something to get a grip on. Also, the IS velcro adhesive needs to set up for about a day before you try to pull it apart. This is the way I did mine and have never had a problem.

Yes, I did all I could do. But when you troop in hot, dry, wet, and cold weather the glue starts to go. By using normal velcro the hooking system is not to strong, so even if the glue is not tight anymore to the plastic you can keep on stressing the pieces further. But with IS velcro the hooking system is very strong and when you pull off the velcro you stress the glue.

In any case, now I do not use velcro at all and we're OT. :D

Edited by lightside