Impossible for Me.

Well today, after years of looking for a way to build stormtrooper setup, I have finally given up. I learned that my last hope, www.stormtrooper-costumes.com is no good. I had learned of the evils of starfortressproductions, and ebay, and the massive story behind it all. I had thought I found the perfect site. I donot have the skill, time, or ability to build such a wonderfull kit. So, untill I can find a new hope, I am finished with the idea of trooping. Now, before anyone asks, yes, I tried building a piece of it and learned that even with 5 months or so of practice, cant do it. I understand that there are lots of people who could do it for me, but I cannot allow myself to bother any of them. Thanks. Maybe someday I will find a solution.

Unless you simply have no hands, you CAN do it. The hardest part is getting over that daunting feeling that it is an impossible job. What exactly did you try to do and how did you fail at it? Whatever it was there are many people on this board who can help you to correct it. Don't give up. I sat and just looked at my armor for weeks just too scared to touch it, wishing someone was here to do it for me. You just have to dive in and go for it. Do you actually have armor yet or are you just trying to find a pre made set? You actually can find them already put together, but it is going to be fitted to some other person. Trust me when I say it is a great feeling to finally do it yourself. The feeling of accomplishment is terrific.

remember "can't never could"

don't give up!! :blink: if a particular part of the build is giving you problems dont be afraid to ask for help, remember "there is more than one way to skin a cat". perhaps with the with the wealth knowlage here you could find a solution that works for you.

Confucius says "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." :D

You're missing out dude. I have no skills either and two small kids, plus I work full time and my wife works too. I had someone in my local garrison help get me started on my first costume and then finished it myself. I paid someone to do most of the assembly on my next two, but one still has to do all the tweaks to get it dialed in, even if it means running home at lunch or hitting the garage after the kids to go bed (this is what I do. It takes longer, but it gets it done). I doesn't happen overnight, but it happens. Look, an ATA costume is only $400. What's the worste that can happen? You order a replacement part. I had to order new legs and a butt plate after bolo'ing the assembly on my first TE2. I took two vacation days to build my first sandtrooper backpack, but it was worth it. (and yes, I paid someone to build my second pack).

There is a huge amount of tutorials on the site, but also having guys local in the 501st to help assemble it is priceless. It's like moving, the cost of a few pizzas can work wonders :)

To be honest, it's not that hard. You can assemble a kit like AM in a weekend if you're using ABS adhesive, clamps and velcro to hook it all together. The AM kit even comes with printed step by step instructions! There's also many great build threads of a variety of armor types on this forum.

Truth be told: Yes - there are many many many small steps that need to be taken when building armor. But really, the process is:

- measure

- size it up to your body

- measure again to be sure!

- trim

- sand

- glue

- clamp

- repeat!

- string it all together with elastic of some kind.

If you really can't assemble it, consider commissioning someone to build it for you. If you're a fairly standard size / weight, and can supply your measurements, kits can be built for you but at a price of course. Building armor properly takes time and practice, and the price of assembly should reflect that.

Also, I don't mean to trivialize your situation, but it's more that I think you'll find it worth it in the end...

When you walk in to a small con and can't move for literally 20 minutes as your picture is taken...

When you cause a little boy in a wheelchair to smile and his Mom cries for how happy he is...

Standing with 20 other people in the same costume, just rocking the white armor...

There are many other memories that are priceless that are created this way...I think you'll find the pain or armor building worth it :)

Also, I don't mean to trivialize your situation, but it's more that I think you'll find it worth it in the end...

When you walk in to a small con and can't move for literally 20 minutes as your picture is taken...

When you cause a little boy in a wheelchair to smile and his Mom cries for how happy he is...

Standing with 20 other people in the same costume, just rocking the white armor...

There are many other memories that are priceless that are created this way...I think you'll find the pain or armor building worth it :)

QFT!!

It can be a challenge but its well worth the effort.

@Terry: You missed out Measure AGAIN!!!! after Measure again to be sure. ;)

It is not that I dont appreciate the time and effort it takes to do this, its just not knowing what to do. While I have looked at the tutorials and many how to's, I guess I just need a good base line to start at. I keep hearing about these kits and the acronyms for the types of armour. What kit would be best if both accuracy and larger size are important? Also, I am not so comfortable with sanding and the like, so I would need something that is pretty much pre finished so I would not have to sand and paint. Finally, how do I go about getting such a kit?

(To note, I tried the probably most difficult method in building armour. I attempted to sculpt wood, then clay, by eye with photos, to later be vacuum formed. I learned that such a task was for immortals only, and could not be done by human hands.)

My last question would be regarding www.stormtrooper-costumes.com. I cannot find much info on them and would love to buy a set to both wear and use to help me build a second set (for my brother) but dont want to drop $1500 if it is no good at all. During my research I learned that starfortressproductions is bad and that ebay is the enemy (for stormtrooper armour).

Anyways, Thank you guys for your help, you have all inspired me to continue my search for awesome stormtooper gear.

For the EMPIRE!!!(and 501st)

Nick

Nick check this topic which is right here in this forum:---------

It might help ease your search some. :trooper:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

1500?

Great budget. You are in the running for a great set.

However.

When you say "larger" what do you mean?

Define "accurate" as you would like to have your armor?

Man. TK armor is easy. Really.

FX kits are basically like "Snap Tight" model kits of old. Easy. Really it is not all that hard. I cannot imagine that you are devoid of ANY skill. You will need some to keep the costume up as you wear it. I remember looking at my first FX and thinking whoa boy.. here we go. But its not hard man.. Just do it.

Were here to help.

"'Impossible' is a word that humans use far too often."

~ Seven of Nine ~

Sorry about the cross-franchise quote, but you get the idea.

It is not that I dont appreciate the time and effort it takes to do this, its just not knowing what to do. While I have looked at the tutorials and many how to's, I guess I just need a good base line to start at. I keep hearing about these kits and the acronyms for the types of armour. What kit would be best if both accuracy and larger size are important? Also, I am not so comfortable with sanding and the like, so I would need something that is pretty much pre finished so I would not have to sand and paint. Finally, how do I go about getting such a kit?

(To note, I tried the probably most difficult method in building armour. I attempted to sculpt wood, then clay, by eye with photos, to later be vacuum formed. I learned that such a task was for immortals only, and could not be done by human hands.)

Yeah, I agree by attempting to sculpt your own kit you took the hard way. Not to say it's not doable, but it does require a level of skill and committment that only a very few talented individuals possess. Building a kit, however, anyone can do. If you were willing to even attempt the former, the latter should be a breeze.

As far as the particular kit goes, it sounds like either AM or RT-Mod meet your needs. Both require no sanding or painting, both are specifically sculpted for larger bodies, and both are "Expert Infantry" capable essentially out of the box. Where can you find them? Refer to an earlier post in this very thread.

Knowing what to do comes from reading and asking questions. Like anything else, it takes time. That's what this site is all about, espeically the Stormtrooper Academy. Once you get a baseline level of knowledge, it's time to start building. Will you make mistakes along the way? Absolutely - I certainly have. But the more you know, the fewer and less severe those mistakes will be. Besides, you have a ton of help available, both here and at your local garrison.

Trooper Helping Troopers - it's why we exist. B)

Everyone starts off just wanting a ready-made suit, thinking they'll never be able to build their own.

It was exactly how I felt back in March this year when I first started researching.

Since then I've built two full sets of armour and three helmets.

I can't wait to get stuck into my next build and wouldn't ever dream of letting anyone else build armour for me.

Nick,

Here are my 2 cents ... Contact your local garrison. Post that you're interested in getting a kit and if possible you'd like to meet up with a group who is doing a troop. You can introduce yourself, see some of the fantastic things people with no previous ABS skills were able to do ... And best of all these same people will probably gladly help you build your kit.

And if you're in BC or the Okanagan let me know and we can get together - my wife is a white stormtrooper and I'm a Black Hole Trooper (just waiting for the LMO to issue my number). We've got experience (built two kits), tools and a few bevvies in the fridge.

There ... That's probably 2 cents worth.

Dude...hook up with somebody in your local Garrison. My experience is that Garrison mates want more people to enjoy this madness :lol: and will be glad to walk with you on this journey. The local guys and gals are close enough to physically meet up and help. I troop with really awesome people and my experience at Celebration verifies that the other Garrisons are the same.

People are all the time changing their minds, selling stuff, you CAN make this happen, and you can get started for a fraction of that $1500.00....

Hang in there!

j.

I am a noob just like you. I got the first piece of the puzzle, a hasbro blaster. I am now trying source the armor and helmet. Sure, that'll leave me with the boots, undersuit (underarmor / spandex ftw), gloves, upgrade kit for the hasbro and the optional holster. I'll get there, it'll take me a while, but I'll get there. You don't have to get everything at once. Spread it out if need be. I contacted my local garrison and they have been very helpful, even supporting of my initial hunch -> I will be going for the AM armor, and a lid from imperialsurplus.com.

Nick,

I am a person that never pays any attention to the odds. The thing that you have to do is to try. I am going to quote Garry Marshall (if you don't know who Garry Marshall is, he was the producer of many hit television shows throughout the past several decades). He was giving advice to an up and coming director. His advice was "you failed at what your were trying to do, but try again and fail and then try again and fail better". What Garry was telling him was you may work at something and fail at it, and you may work on it again and fail, but you will learn from your mistakes and get better at it and will eventually achieve your goals.

I went back and saw that you first came to the forum in January of '09 to see if you posted where you are located. But from the 6 post that you have done there is no indication of where you are. But, from the way you spell some of your words, it looks like you may be somewhere in Europe. But,no matter where you are, there should be a garrison near you. There will be people there who can mentor you in the process of your build. I know you said that you don't want to burden anyone with helping you put together your armor, but most of the guys in the garrison and here on the forum, enjoy helping out someone. There may be someone on this forum that is your neighbor and you don't even know it.

As for the sculpting, trying to make your own molds, I would say that if that is something that you want to do, don't give up on it. But, if you want to get into trooping now, there are several kits that armor makers/suppliers here offer that start at $400 and go up, that are much nicer than what you would purchase from StarwarsCostumes.com.

Like I said if you got one of these kits and felt that it is too much of a daunting task to put it together by yourself, there is someone here and in the 501st that will be happy to help you with it. The FISD DL, Paul, said that he made this forum because when he first got started there were not many cohesive sites to help people who are just starting out and wanted a place that was dedicated to helping one another, exchange ideas and support to help make peoples suits the best they could possibly be.

So if you could possibly indicate where you are, we can try to find someone near you that can help, if you need hands on with your kit. If you could tell us you size,(height and build), that will help us to be able to suggest to you which kit would best suit you.

Whatever you do, don't ever give up on your dreams...because that is what makes life worth living.

I am going to end this with a quote from a sports legend ~ Rudy Ruettiger:

Never Quit. "Don't ever, ever quit. Recognize that stopping now, regrouping to try a new approach isn't quitting. If you quit you'll regret it forever."

Spartanshalo - dont give up mate

I have been working on mine for almost a year!

Go to a Amour Party, observe and ask questions and be a wrangler at a local troop.

Read the forums over and over again.

Find a person who can help you and you'll be on your way.

4976409831_f0bae09705_z.jpg

Recent pic of a fellow trooper (Crypto) helping out on my webbing

but I still have a lot of homework to do...lol

I am just as new and nervous about this as you are! Stormtroopercostume.com is the first place I looked. After a lot of discussions with members of this site, they said that site was bad news and not 501st compliant. I am currently waiting on my order to ship from RT-Mod.com. You want to look into that kit. I know it comes with instructions and the bucket is fully assembled! :rolleyes: Well I hope this may help. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

I'm going to chime in here and echo what others have said. When I first started thinking about this journey, I was in a very similar place: I have very few tools, little space, and no experience doing something like this. I talked myself out of starting several times.

But finally, after spending four days at C:V in awe of these guys and gals, I decided to jump in.

My advice so far: start small. I bought my Hasbro and started modding it, carefully following the many great threads here. I borrowed tools and materials from friends at work and bought a few things - and now it's almost finished and I couldn't be happier with it. It's so far from perfect that it's not even funny...but the fact that I made it this far in the build has given me a real sense of satisfaction.

Nick,

I too am just starting and nervous as heck about doing this. I work in law enforcement and testify in court cases and all that stuff and that doesn't make me half as nervous as building my armor. That said, will this stop me or discourage me? Absolutely NOT!

If your worries stem from being a perfectionist (as I am) get over it. Take a look at some of the original movie props they used and get a good laugh. You'll see how far from perfect they were.

Remember, this is meant to be fun not stressful.

If you need any help ask in the forums or even PM me. I might not have the experience but have been doing a ton of research (about 200 pages of notes) and am a newbie just like you.

Damn the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!

Edited by Calculon

It took me more than two years to complete my suit, all while going through a separation, then a divorce, losing my job, picking up the peices of my life and relocating to another town... I stuck with it. You just need to take your time. DO NOT QUIT... EVER!

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

True. Nothing is else is better out there than to get help by the local garrison and help you with the build. That's what I did, and I learned a lot. Skills I will use in the future for a more accurate kit. Don't quit man, you can do it!

• 1 year later...

Holy hell, I haven't even ordered a kit but reading all of these various forums makes me want more and more to get rolling. This is a very supportive and friendly group. Wow. I hope as I get involved that I can lean on you guys too. :smiley-sw013: