andy19422

observations on power cylinders and ROTJ scope rail

Hi guys, firstly i was wondering if anyone has ever mentioned that Sterling Arms made a scope rail to fit their SMG and it's exactly the same size as the rail on the ROTJ blaster. The Sterling rail differs by having five ovals machined into the side and not the long cutout on the blaster. I figure that the prop shop would have had a mill to modify them if they did indeed buy them from Sterling or at least one to take a mold from.

scoperail.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Secondly is the power cylinders. All the homemade ones i have seen have only two small center cylinders, but looking at pics of Luke's land speeder and the mouse droid which used the complete parts that the blaster cylinders were cut from clearly show that there was three.

cdaa.jpg

mousedroidtop0.jpg

landspeeder.jpg

Over to you guys :)

sweet! even better photos of the power cells for the scope!

I like how the front of the mouse droid has 2 fibreboard panels on the bottom,

and one in back. you can see that it's lost a little paint in the center of the wooden panel.

(ok... like I'm gonna make a mouse droid. well maybe I should?)

like they wanted it to be taller in front!

if you look really close there's one section of the amplifier tubes with only 2 resistors

(that's what I'm gonna call the center tubes)

most of them have 3 like you point out...

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

:lol: i didn't notice that. So what do you think about the scope rail idea

You know my opinion on both counts mate.

I think having looked at you reference shots of that scope rail your idea is pretty much spot on.

Cool pics of the sterling Andy, think this is similar to one the parachute regiment had ,there was also a silenced version too. The ROTJ E11 was based on the model gun corporation version of the canadian C1 sterling copy though so this rail would not have been used , I am not sure if the actual rail has ever been identified yet so was maybe something the prop dept came up with themselves in the US.

heres the canadian C1-

http://www.mpmuseum.org/postwarequipment3.html

Here's a few pics of the MGC sterling ,same as was used on the ROTJ E11

sterlingmgc9.jpg

sterlingmgc7.jpg

The MGC is different again to the C1 which has some of the L2A3 parts like the grip and folding stock but the MGC is different again going for there own interpretation.

Yes they did make a few different types :D

file0259o.jpg

Lol.

No likes a show off Andy. ;):P:lol:

I've told ya mate, keep your windows and doors locked coz I know where you live. ;)B)

Nice collection although you seem to be missing the chilean navy seal underwater version and the norwegian snow ops heated barrel L44 a12 which i happen to have ........only kiddin BLOODY HELL you got 10 sterlings thats completely mad :D

Hey Matt what was that address again ?

Damn! i knew i shouldn't have sold my land mine and missile collection :angry::P

Well what can you expect after revealing your location to The Vectis Remnant. ;):P

P.S Lucas, my 5 year old son, says your greedy and should give him one. :lol:

these photos are so truly beautiful I can't find words to describe them... so I won't...

especially the MGC photos.

would be really fun if tango did a doopy do's cast of all the correct parts,

and supplied plans for pipes. (having a the MGC resin bits would be my next purchase from tango!

hint hint!

once again andy and tango have given us all we need!~

Are there any conclusive pictures of the cylinders on an E-11? Most of the pictures I've seen have been on either an MSE droid or Landspeeder as above. If this rack has been cut down for use on the blaster it could well be that there were none of these resistor type things on the cylinders at all especially if they're attached to a cut away part?

Has this component ever been identified by anyone?

Here is another pic of the cylinders from the top, it looks like they were mounted on the same bit of metal as the two larger cylinders then the single large one above has been removed and the metal has then been cut down. That is why the assembly has a round cut out between the cylinders such as the Russ ones

power12.jpg

Doh! I just started a thread about 3 central "fuses/resistors on blaster cylinders. Didn't find this one when I searched.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=17306&hl=&fromsearch=1

Excellent pics of the speeder parts!!! Do you have any showing the back of the resistors & how they attach to the steel plate?

Thanks, Andy

Hi Andy, great minds think alike :laugh1: After a lot of searching I think I found almost the same vintage resistors, If you check the two pics most of the labelling matches up.

cdaa.jpg

By andy19422 at 2010-09-01

parts066.jpg

By andy19422 at 2011-05-14

This is a pic of the resistor mounted on a set of Russ cylinders, as you can see they are only a couple of mm too long. I don't know if this is due to the resistors being the wrong type or the cylinder bracket being made to short. I think the wires on the resistors were soldered on to the front base and through a small hole in the back of the bracket.

parts068.jpg

By andy19422 at 2011-05-14

PM me if you want three. :D

Dude you're awesome!!! :icon_bow: Where did you find those and of course I want 3!!! :) ...if not 6 or more!!! This is a result I couldn't have hoped for!!! :dancing-trooper:

They may be long or they may have extended through the metal plate like the large cylinders do. If they're 26mm from where the connecting wire enters the brown cap then they'd sit on my draft Cylinder plan like this (not taking into account perspective). It's a plan I've made taking measurements from ref photos and it seems very similar to Russ's which I was pleased about - seeing how much independent plans agree is a good way of checking authenticity. :)

Are they 26mm x 5mm, with 4mm end caps?

Do you have a photo of them used in a completed cylinder unit?

genuineresistors.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

@ Andy19422 PM sent requesting your awesome resistors :) ...& do you have any more of those excellent speeder pics, showing what happened at the back of the resistors?

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Result! This is exactly the sort of photo I've been after! :dancing-trooper:

A long Googletrawl has provided fairly solid confirmation that Andy's vintage resistors are the accurate dimensions and very probably the real deal, I'd say!

You'll find the image & more at http://www.flickr.co...del/3748224987/

It shows the resistors passing through the metal frame, just like the capacitors.

It also shows the components they then joined on to, although I imagine the propmakers did cut those elements off.

Some nice detail showing the soldering of the capacitor caps onto the main body, the angled legs and the resistor wires curving round the attaching point.

I'll amend my diagram and upload it tomorrow

resistorscomethroughzoom.jpg

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Bit late in the thread to say this but - Andy you've got one of the cut away Sterlings Locitus posted some pics of!!!

Any chance you could post some more detailed photos of that bad boy so we can get some close up looks at the insides?

Pleeeeeeeeaaaase????

Bit late in the thread to say this but - Andy you've got one of the cut away Sterlings Locitus posted some pics of!!!

Any chance you could post some more detailed photos of that bad boy so we can get some close up looks at the insides?

Pleeeeeeeeaaaase????

I know you mean the other Andy but I've got photocopies of the original Sterling schematics from Leeds Armouries which I have't got round to scanning yet. What details are you after?

The original schematics? No way! Scan man! Scan like your life depends on it! Seriously though - I would loooove to see the schematics that would definitely put the last millimeter of accuracy in all parts of the templates we've been building. If you get a chance please post them or PM me as I would love to go over it before I launch the new templates.

As to the cut away model I wasn't looking for any specific parts per se (although the trigger mechanism would be handy - its hard to understand it exactly in the Sterling manual PDF's) Mainly I just wanted to examine every inch for build and finish - and drool compulsively...

I can't guarantee the absolute precision of these - they're genuine original plans for the Sterling but it says "Not to scale" on them & the microfiche refused to print out at 1:1. The Royal Armouries holds more plans for the Sterling but they're very hard to get at for various reasons. However I'm hoping to meet with the curator of firearms again soon & could ask him for any specific plans that would help the project. Follow the link for the set:

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l581/PlayfulWolfCub/Sterling%20schematics%20-%20not%20to%20scale/

IMG_0016.jpg

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Certainly a scholar of firearms :D

Thanks so much for these - I shall be examining them carefully....

EDIT: I have been examining them carefully. The close ups of the folding stock internals are absolutely invaluable. If the other Andy could post some pics of his cutaway model with the folding stock close up as it folds in different positions so I could see exactly how the pin in the butt moves I could definitely template up a fully functional spring loaded folding stock with build instructions. That's been the one Achilles heel of our templates so far. So again Andy - a pretty please to post these! Maybe post them over in the best Sterling Templates Ever thread though so as not to derail this thread any further...