ESB build -by evnltr[*ATA]

Hi guys,

I thought it would be best to start my build and document my progress. I'm starting an ESB build to go for my EIB as it's always been my favorite trooper. I started wearing armor as a TK back in 2000 with my old FX set. Been a Mountain Garrison trooper for quite a while too. That FX got retired quite a ways back and is now on a mannequin in the basement as a conversation piece. Just not a fan of the FX anymore myself. I wanted to get something way more accurate and went with a T/MC ABS set. I really like it.

(Side personal note: I just entered into empty nest stage with my wife as our only son is off at Basic training with the Army. So this is a well timed and much needed distraction hobby for me.)

So here goes my build. Feel free to inject comments. I'm always trying to strive to be as accurate as a I can. I'm doing all my research as I go along. I'm so impressed with so many details many of you have found. It's amazing. I'll surely have some questions along the way. If I missed a post or thread on one of my topics, please point me towards it.

Here's the initial set all trimmed now and my start on the helmet. I went with a more streamlined gum line for my frown. I like the slightly thicker look the 2004 Christies helmet had. Also went for the trimmed eye. I didn't like the bump much. So got that trimmed. Which gets me to lead off with a couple of questions from the ESB experts.

1. Rubber neck trim. Is it "S" curved or "U" curved on the ESB's? Looking at the 2004 auction helmet the rubber trim has me confused. It looks squarish on bottom and inside, but I still see what appears to be a cut line inside of the rubber trim. So I'm not sure exactly what shape this trim is. Is it "S" cut down?

2. Frown. I'm going for no mesh. The auction helmets don't have any signs of it and the promo shot we have on our web background even has what seems to be light going through a tooth. I'll try a black neck only balacalva from UA for that. Is it right the ESB troopers had no mesh either?

3. Chin strap. It's a non screen issue, but I was curious if it (based on auction helmets) is all elastic or if the bottom parts with the snaps are leather. I can't tell.

Anyway onto the build. Here's my starting pics. First time posting pics here, so I'll try and edit and fix over time if I botch this.

th_tk10_trim1.jpg

th_tk10-trim2.jpg

th_tk10_hlmtstart1.jpg

Edited by evnltr

• 1 month later...

Just doing an update to my build. Still working on the helmet. One step at a time. Did the inner liner with a gray primer and added my lens. Trying to emulate the 2004 Patch auction helmet. Added a few decals (i'll post helmet stats when its done). Cleaned up the frown some. It might need another light coat though.

th_SDC10238.jpg

th_SDC10236.jpg

th_SDC10237.jpg

th_SDC10233.jpg

Next is the neck trim and chin strap. I messed up cutting my neck trim to get it into that similar "U" shape as seen on the ESB auction helmet. Trying again. I'll note what worked for me if I get it right in the manner of cut. Also looking for post style button snaps that they hand on the chin straps from the auction pics. I want to try and match authentically the best I can. Then I'll start the assembly and add tube stripes, properly trimmed neck trim, foam star glued in, and chin straps! More to come. You can see the trim as it is normal here before I start...

th_SDC10243.jpg

Edited by evnltr

• 2 months later...

Here is my final version of the ESB helmet. I plan to add fans, speakers, and maybe change the lighting gel lens at some point, but this is pretty set for me to move on. The lens here is the Welders Lens, but the flash on the camera makes it look dark. It is in fact green. I added the chin strap to try and match the auction helmet. It has the similar Anorak snaps on it.

Stats

Helmet:T/MC

Decals: TK4510

Neck Trim:TK4510 (properly trimmed)

Mic Tips: Keith's

Onto the body. I hope to try and do the authentic strapping system. Working on getting the pieces now.

How's the helmet look? Opinions welcome.

th_SDC10290.jpg

th_SDC10275.jpg

th_SDC10279.jpg

th_SDC10291.jpg

th_SDC10283.jpg

th_SDC10272.jpg

th_SDC10288.jpg

th_SDC10292.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

After a lot of life distractions, I'm finally going to continue and get this guy built.  A lot has been learned on this forum since I started this, so I've picked up a lot of new tips.  Hope to post some updates maybe after this weekend sometime.  Sorry for those that checked in and I didn't have anything on there for the longest time.  Good to see the thread still exists.  Back at it shortly.