Official FISD Photos from CV

TK4999

Sorry for the delay, but finally after the long wait, here are the official FISD photos from CV in Orlando.

First, buckets on:

FISDBucketsOn.thumb.jpg.6263f9588de4df225db871b1d7102569.jpg

Next, buckets off:

FISDBucketsOff.thumb.jpg.c84e34ca8304baf9c6e5948e118580d8.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

And if you wondered how FISD looked so good in those pics, here is a shot of how Daetrin did it:

PaulBarkingOrders.thumb.jpg.a1e7f417bb7d2e1dbcb839f476f7c14a.jpg

And here is another shot of Daetrin commanding his troops:

PaulinCharge.thumb.jpg.1409721af9622562914072cdf6f9ac93.jpg

For more shots of the photo event, go here:

http://s1010.photobu.../FISD%20Photos/

This was an awesome gathering of white armor from around the country and around the world!

Thanks to everyone for showing up and looking good!

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Great pix Steve, thanks for posting them...Great group shot. Awesome to see a lot of FISD in one place....And all that white armor in one place TOO!

:dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper::dancing-trooper:

I know people are going to hate me, but I have to say it: WHY did you put all those FX troopers in front? With FX lids even...

Sorry, but you could have done so much better. Seeing our forum and the general strive for accuracy here - the FX lid has been frowned upon for years now! - putting them right in front for everyone to see just feels wrong.

I know people are going to hate me, but I have to say it: WHY did you put all those FX troopers in front? With FX lids even...

Sorry, but you could have done so much better. Seeing our forum and the general strive for accuracy here - the FX lid has been frowned upon for years now! - putting them right in front for everyone to see just feels wrong.

I hate to admit it but the exact same though was the first to cross my mind.

It was shortest troopers to the front...

Paul, thanks for getting us untrained chaos creatures in order. I'm glad you aren't my drill sergeant...

Edited by davej

On 8/30/2010 at 7:40 PM, davej said:

It was shortest troopers to the front...

-----------

uh-huh...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/30/2010 at 5:34 PM, carbonitekid said:

I hate to admit it but the exact same though was the first to cross my mind.

Yup, same here.

I've seen more organized rows before, too...this here, for example:

------------

So there's still room for improvement for the definitive FISD picture, right?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/30/2010 at 8:04 PM, R2Dan said:

Ok, I'm one of the shortest troopers in the Legion, and I was in the 3rd row...

Perfection is hard to achieve ;)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks Steve for getting this organized! In hindsight I wish I had the foresight to think of some other cool shots as long as the photographer was there, e.g.

1) All lady TK's

2) All EU TK's

3) TK's by unit for those that wanted them

Sorry about that - it was my first time at this sort of thing and I was busy enough just try to get everyone in the right spot.

As for height - yes we tried to get the shortest in the front but also the EU costumes. My apologies there wasn't a little more care put in to organizing the troops - I could only see so well from the ground and had to rely on what others were telling me for what it looked like higher up.

As for the FX helmets - it just happened that 4 out of the 8 were being sported by short people, and in the end while the FX bucket is on the way out they are just as much of the 501st as anyone else.

Lastly...part of the confusion was that we didn't even know that we were going to have that space until about 10 minutes before we marched over there. Apparently the guy running the laser tag spent a lot of $$ for the venue and was promised troopers, and after almost 2 days of no/few troopers and complaining parents he'd had enough and refused us to use his area. That's why Steve (TK4999) ended up using time that was planned for organization smoothing over the situation in the nick of time.

It's also why the official photographer was late - as Steve also being in the Legion photo had to scoot double time to the photographer to our A location instead of our plan B once that was sorted.

So lessons learned for any future FISD DL :

1. Have someone *not* part of the photoshoot who knows how to compose a shot be designated in advance to call out directions. This is what the 501st picture did.

2. have a higher platform - while the guy was up on a chair it came out as if he was on ground level, and those in the back are a little lost - including me (you can spot me on the faaar right in the back with the beret on with my bucket off.

Somebody's always got to complain about something...........

And apparently, somebody's always got to defend everything, despite the constructive criticism being very valid indeed...........

And why put the obscure EU troopers in the front row? This isn't the FIRST IMPERIAL EU-TROOPER DETACHMENT, is it?

Edited by ObiHahn

I put them there Dennis, so blame me. Even though we started off as a canon-only detachment, they are just as much members of FISD as anyone else, and I don't think should be treated as red-headed step children. While I have a personal bias in favor of all-white just as you do, as DL I have to ensure that all our costume variants are represented.

And apparently, somebody's always got to defend everything, despite the constructive criticism being very valid indeed...........

Yep. Normally the same people who jump to the FX lids defence on every available oppertunity. ;)

I put them there Dennis, so blame me. Even though we started off as a canon-only detachment, they are just as much members of FISD as anyone else, and I don't think should be treated as red-headed step children. While I have a personal bias in favor of all-white just as you do, as DL I have to ensure that all our costume variants are represented.

I see the need to represent them guys too, Paul. But doesn't front row placement seem a little over-represented?

BTW, I wasn't blaming anyone, just saying. No hard feelings. ;)

The red-headed step children made me laugh. Hey, YOU called them that... :D

Yeah, perhaps I over compensated in the heat of the moment. I should have designated someone else as point for that, as I was also trying to juggle the communication of the last minute room change, then the photographer being completely absent and trying to get someone from the crowd to take the picture, then the official photographer finally showing up after we did a set of photographs. It was a bit crazy, and I should have stepped back a bit and enlisted more help.

Yeah, perhaps I over compensated in the heat of the moment. I should have designated someone else as point for that, as I was also trying to juggle the communication of the last minute room change, then the photographer being completely absent and trying to get someone from the crowd to take the picture, then the official photographer finally showing up after we did a set of photographs. It was a bit crazy, and I should have stepped back a bit and enlisted more help.

Oh the joys of leadership eh?

I salute your efforts Sir. :salute:

Given the level of chaos immediately following the Legion photo and the logistical problems Paul already described, I think the fact that we even had a group photo should be chalked up as an achievement. B)

Great photo, Dennis! If you could provide the planning details as to how you all were able to arrange yourselves - especially any advance planning and required support from the event organizers - that would be most helpful in the future. No doubt there is certainly room for improvement, and actionable suggestions for the next mass FISD photo would be more than welcome. :)

Troopers wearing tip-to-toe FX are still troopers, and are just as much a part of the FISD as someone wearing Stukatrooper-worthy prop-replica TM armor - or anywhere in between. It's not fair to hide those troopers in the back when they are in full compliance with Legion standards, no matter what one may think of those standards. The positive thing here is that there were far fewer FX buckets in this photo than in the C4 group photo a few years ago - that photo itself can be seen on the Legion thread. I'm sure C6 will go even further in that direction.

Personally, I think it was a good idea putting the EU troopers up front. There are so few of them around (only 3 out of 80 or so TKs in the group photo) that they would be buried in the mass of white armor. If we get to the point of them being so plentiful that they start to approach the clean TK in terms of numbers, perhaps a separate section of EU troopers would be appropriate.

As far as shortest to the front, every military parade formation I've been a part of - and I've been doing them for over 20 years now - always starts with a "taller tap", the idea behind it being that the shorter troops can be seen by the formation leader and/or can march without being run over by the taller troopers. While we didn't execute a textbook taller tap, that was the basic idea. If you're curious, more info on how it's typically done is at CadetStuff.org

:salute: