Making of the Computer Graphics for Star Wars (Episode IV)

RogueTrooper

Hey all,

I was going through some of my favs on YouTube and I came across this video.

It is the 1977 computer graphics of the plans for the Deathstar in the first Star Wars film and was created by Larry Cuba in the 1970s at the Electronic Visualization Laboratory (EVL) (at the time known as the Circle Graphics Habitat.

I do some CG work with After Effects and a few other programs. But I just geek out on this. At the time this was sate of the art. This is how far computer graphics have come....

ENJOY! :)

Here is the link:

I remember back in 77-78, my father ran a company that built and re-made office space as in new office towers. I was just a young teenage lad working in an adult world :blush: It must have been about 78 when COMINCO (my spelling) was re-doing thier computer room. It was the largest air conditioned room I ever was in at that time. I had to tape off the wall mounted computer's, that's the big reel to reel tape type of computer's, and hang a clear plastic sheet to cut off any dust in the air that the night shift construction gang would make. Am older lady (well to my eye's then older was like 26! :lol: ) was working at a "work station" with what looked like a small TV. She looked at me, smiled and asked "Like to make the Death Star?". Well other then her very large "BLEEP" that girls can get, I was down my ladder and at her desk faster then going for coffee Time! And wasted about an hour playing with a "light pen" as she showed me how they did the comp stuff for the film. Because I was the "boss's son" I got away with stuff other guy's could'nt! So I think not only was I the first kid on the block to play with a computer, and do SW stuff on a computer!

Edited by Sgt Steve