ATA vs. AP

Hey everyone, In a few weeks, I'll be purchasing my first set of TK armor to join the 501st. The thing is, I am so torn over which armor kit to get. I am 5'5, almost 5'6, 150lb, most of which is in the hips and thighs, and I'm female. The choice is between ATA and AP.

On one hand, I am a complete armor newbie and I have never made a TK in my life. The ATA armor is said to be easy to trim and assemble, and seems to be a good build overall. But the thing I am worried about it that it is made out of HIPS, and I am terrified of something cracking or breaking. Things in my house seem to always get jostled or manhandled somehow, and although if I get this, I will try to be super careful, I just don't know if it is sturdy enough.

AP, on the other hand, is ABS and is much stronger. It seems like it would hold up much better than ATA would. However, I have read that is a tricky build and I am not sure that I, being new to TK-building and any sort of building, for that matter, would be able to make it. Not to mention the price is a lot higher, and I have no idea if it is worth the extra cost in order to have it stronger.

My main question is, for those who rock the ATA, what are your opinions on it. Any definite Pros and Cons? How is it when trooping and does it hold up well?

For those who sport the AP, is it really that hard to construct it, or is it not as bad as some say? It is worth the extra cost to buy it and have it last longer? Pretty much, how do you like it?

Thanks, you guys! I keep trying to debate the pros and cons back and forth in my head, I have messaged both suppliers of each ATA and AP and got the price quotes, but I still cannot come to a decision. I figured I would ask the experts on here!

Thanks!

-Alex

I have both.

it's hard to say.

AP and ATA come from the same "type" of armor called the TE line. they look very close to each other in appearance.

even there are differences that some will point out, about the arms, and legs. ect...

the AP armor is very strong and resistant to "some" types of abuse, but you really need to invest in a

large plastic tub to protect your armor inside. AP armor when trimmed with a box cutter and a sheet of sandpaper is ready to strap up

and wear very quickly. for example, if you have the skills and the materials you can build and wear an AP helmet in a single day.

granted you need to purchase some extra materials for the AP helmet build to properly represent the legion.

once painted the ATA helmet is EIB ready out of the box.

painting armor takes time and to get good results, you need to invest in more construction time and materials.

and you usually need a place indoors that is safe to leave painted objects curing for several days at a time.

think hours of wet sanding and painting to get it right!

no matter which one you eventually choose, you will have cracks, chips, scratches, and dirt on it.

it's part of the wearing of armor.

HIPS has the advantage of being painted, so if you "mess it up, or crack it" then you can repair it.

ABS is strong and allows the polishing of some dings and scratches, but also can be painted, even though it

does not usually need to be.

ABS can also be repaired by using ABS paste made from abs dust and the right mixture of solvents.

that same paste can be used as glue to assemble the suit.

hands down, ABS is stronger.

using any armor tutorial in the TE line of armor builds really helps a lot.

Hi Alex, I assume you've already read the info here?

Getting Started

I have since built 2 sets of armor from ABS, I have an AP helmet and I have completed an ATA build but not trooped it (lots of test fittings though). Styrene is definitely softer than ABS, it has different properties. I think it will stand up fine to trooping, take a look at how many people have ATA, TE2, etc.

Personally, I think unless you are stressing the plastic in very specific areas (eg: trying to sit down all the time, or if one area like the inner thigh or knee areas are tight and keep "binding" with other pieces when you're wearing it or if you're compressing it a lot) I think styrene will handle trooping just fine. I do tend to be more careful with it when handling it, but I have no problems bumping into things (my basement entry is small and I've been going in and out of my garage and I bump into stuff all the time during test fittings). There's also tips on the forum on ho to repair cracks or even prevent them (by adding material glued underneath).

Keep in mind that with styrene, if you want it shiny you'll either need to paint it or polish it to get it glossy. It's an extra step, and I think that's where you may find more wear and tear on your armor. It's natural and WILL happen. Many people like the slightly worn look as it's what would happen in real life, and was seen in the movies. Most people live with scuffs and dings and it provides character.

On the other hand, my ABS (AM) kit is quite glossy without being painted and I'm not afraid of throwing it into my storage bin with no padding (yet) and it's survived troops just fine. Any marks or scuffs I get from painted blasters, etc. I can leave on, or simply wipe / buff away with a cloth and some alcohol (I tend to get a lot of thin black streaks on my left side from my arms rubbing up against my painted blaster).

Personally, I think if you want to just build a kit and have it stay looking glossy without much maintenance, go for the AP kit. Keep in mind there is more work with aligning the thighs and shins, and the inner left shin is the same as the outer right. The arms are also the same (there's no left and rights). The mic tips are also faucet aerators which won't pass for EIB should you want to.

If you don't mind painting your kit, can live with some dings and wear your scratches with pride (you could always polish / touch them up / re-paint a part), and don't mind the odd repair due to cost savings, then go ATA.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I have HIPS armor which is TE2 in case of point. I've trooped with it quite a bit, carrying it up and on the Great Wall, playing laser tag, etc. Not much new - no it won't hold up over time as well as ABS, but still the only cracks I really have had is in the ab plate along the stress lines. Answer? Just get a replacement, and replacement parts are cheaper for HIPS than ABS. When the paint starts to yellow or get really scuffed, I just did a touch-up coat with new paint. Not sure if anyone noticed at C5 I had recently done so only days before. And with ATA being $300 or so less than AP, you can afford a lot of replacement parts :) Still, nothing beats shiny ABS.

Honestly - I think you can't lose either way, it's just a matter of which you put more value on: less expensive & easier to assemble vs. something that will handle more stress/abuse and doesn't need painting at all.

• 1 month later...

My friend was considering getting an ATA set, and we have a job that requires us to sit in a golf cart for 5 hours at a time patrolling campus, but of course we'd like to do this trooping.

Do you think the HIPS would stand up to that sort of abuse, at least once or twice?

My friend was considering getting an ATA set, and we have a job that requires us to sit in a golf cart for 5 hours at a time patrolling campus, but of course we'd like to do this trooping.

Do you think the HIPS would stand up to that sort of abuse, at least once or twice?

ATA and AP are both great kits. And should stand up for a lot of trooping.

Either one of the materials has its' good and bad points. But, both materials are not really good for sitting. You will do major damage to the butt plate if you sit with it on. If you are going to sit with any armor (whether it's made from HIPS or ABS), then take the butt plate off.

HIPS is easier to trim then ABS. But HIPS also will require painting to make it the right color tone of white, where AP's ABS kit does not.

My experience is...it depends. I've sat in my FX butt plate on park benches and car rides. Tough ABS that. For the TE2, I've sat in tax rides but to be honest haven't been overly confident sitting on a hard surface.

Then again, replacement butt plates (for ATA at least, which will be near the same as TE2/CAP) are inexpensive and relatively easy to swap, so I guess if you do break one, well then just get another.

• 2 weeks later...

Have any of you ever imagined falling down stairs in armor? I would rather be in soft breakable HIPS than thick and hard ABS! OUCH!

HIPS can be repaired easily! And can be reinforced with cloth+E6000 on the inside so it still flexes but won't crack. After playing with my ATA kit a while I really think it's the way to go! If you coated the entire inside of the suit I would say it would be almost impossible to tear. (but you would have to buy a LOT of glue! LOL!

• 1 month later...

I just bought ATA recently (arrived a few days ago!). I had read both pros and cons, and found that the price was worth the quality. I own an AP helmet, which funny enough, the ABS is thinner than the HIPS of the ATA (though is probably more durable. Id like to reinforce the main pieces in the future, just incase. But if you do have an accident, you'd probably want it to happen in a "cheaper" armor, incase you need to replace a piece, pieces or the whole thing.

Both rule as kits though..