HOWTO: Making a "duct tape" mannequin

I'm kind of shocked I didn't make one of these before, these are so awesome! I would love to make one for every costume I own! :)

A duct tape mannequin is a great way to:

- create a form that is a very close replication of your body shape

- awesome way to display your armor

- a great way to test sizing for parts, armor mods, etc.

This is nothing super new, people have made duct tape mannequins for years. They started off in the seamstress / dress making hobby (people would use duct tape to create a torso dress form for tailoring their own outfits), and there's been many Legion members who have made these for their costumes. It's not that hard, it just takes time and some simple materials.

Materials:

2 large rolls of duct tape (don't get the foil kind, just the regular silver kind

PVC pipe (I used 3/4" pipe)

1 PVC cross connector

4 PVC "T" junctions

4 PVC 90 degree elbows

PVC cement

fiberfill / foam / pillow stuffing

Scissors with round tips

Old long sleeve top, pants (sweats will do) and socks

A friend to help you

1. Get dressed in your old clothes. They should be somewhat thin / not too bulky

2. Go to the bathroom before proceeding (important!) :)

3. Stand in whatever pose you want. I chose to keep it neutral. If you want to bend the elbows for shooting / blaster poses, it's possible - just keep in mind it may be harder to dress the mannequin. Also, you (as the model) will get hot. Try not to move too much, and don't do this outside / in the sun.

4. Have your friend / helper start wrapping you in duct tape! Star from the bottom and work up. Avoid wrapping the tape "off the roll" if you do this, the tape will be very tight / uncomfortable and the mannequin will be smaller than you. Tear off sections of tape about 12" long and make sure to overlap half the previous strip as you work up.

4889631537_0a46d750a4.jpg

I chose to wrap the bottoms of my heels so that I can insert the mannequins legs into the boots. This is why you need to wear socks. Don't bother making the feet, it won't likely stand on it's own anyways. You can add a post / stand for it later, or simply lean it against a wall.

5. Continue wrapping the upper body. I found that I was slouching / leaning forward, so try to stand straight. Make sure to press the tape down evenly and smooth it out.

4889631741_300f649235.jpg

6. Make sure that the tape overlaps all the way around the back. I'm bringing sexy back! Yeah! :)

4889632461_59a49d04a9.jpg

7. After you have wrapped one layer of tape, it should be good to cut the tape and extract your self. If you're bigger / taller, I would recommend 2 layers of tape - again, overlap the seams.

Use scissors with round tips, or if you have some - medical safety scissors also work great (the ones for cutting bandages off patients). Cut a vertical seam down the back, across the back of both arms, and down the back of the legs. You should be able to step out easily.

Here's my "body wrap" laid out on the floor. I have laid the skeleton / support frame on it.

4889633355_99a53bf0f4.jpg

8. Go get a drink of water to rehydrate. :)

9. Make your skeleton support. I used 3/4" PVC pipe. Copy the joints here or make your own. Use your own body as a guide for how long each should be. Notice that I bent the legs of the skeleton outwards to match the pose I was in. I didn't bother making bones / supports for the arms, as I wanted my arms to lay at the sides anyways, and it's just extra weight. Use PVC glue to attach each section of pipe.

10. Tape over the seams starting at the feet, and do about 12"-16" at a time. Tape one section, then stuff it with the fiberfill / foam, etc. You can buy it at fabric stores and even Walmart, it's used for stuffing pillows and such (my wife and I joked about how we should walk into one of those "Build a Bear" shops with my empty mannequin and say "I need this stuffed". :)

Here's mine after stuffing. I threw some old worn out bike shorts on it since I want the under suit areas to show through as black (*TIP: simply cover the elbow, armpit, and knee areas with black gaffer tape or hockey tape! It will look like an undersuit without the cost!

4890229608_73fb655177.jpg

11. Dress your new action figure!

4889635093_d428fa8c9b_z.jpg

4889635819_bb30c01b5b_z.jpg

Many thanks to my wife for helping me out for a few hours. She thought this was pretty funny, but said it was very cool and turned out great!

• Like 7

this is the way to go!

great way to have it exactly resemble your own body type!

all we have to do is get the stuffing right?

do we add apples and celery to the stuffing and cook at 350d until tender?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another alternative to Duct Tape is using the brown packaging tape with the water activated glue. I used it when making mine and I found it much easier to work with than duct tape. First of all it is half the price and can be found at Staples or any shipping store. Second it is more forgiving. When using duct tape it is pretty much one and done. Once you have it down you are stuck there especially when the tape folds over on itself. With the paper tape you can lift it up and reset it.

Once I was done with mine I ran a layer of clear packing tape over it just to protect it and it has held up just as strong as previous duct tape dummys that I have made.

I found this method in a threadless video

And here is my project (mind you I have lost 20 lbs since then!)

Wampa Project Body double

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been making these for years. I started doing them for the haunted house we used to run to raise money for United Way back in the 90's- early 2000's. My wife and i made one this past weekend with the intention of making a tutorial as well as having a form to use for my armor assembly.

Its funny, while i was taped up I was walking around the living room telling my wife we need to find gold duct tapr and make a C3P0 costume. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This thread was a huge help to me as i was struggling to find a mannequin to buy.

Started mine last night, but ran out of tape, so still have my left arm to do (i didn't sleep in it, i took it off)

I was ambitious for my first attempt, as i posed holding an E-11 blaster! ill post a pic when its done.

• 4 months later...