TM Replica ANH suit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

This is a superb tutorial and deserves a "How-to" thread of its own.

Paul TM pointed me in the right direction and it's going to be absolutely invaluable for me.

Don't be shy, get it on a sticky thread for all to see.

I'd happily post it myself but you should take the credit.

I copied it and formatted it as a bulleted list of instructions to print out and follow at home, like this:

Preparation is the key for a good paint job.

The trick is to paint your suit in such a way that when you have finished it does not look like you have painted it.

1. First job wash your plastic warm soapy water to get rid of any grease.

2. Key you plastic first with some 600-800 grit sand paper. Then wash off the dust, dry it or let it dry.

3. The primer paint first off needs a tack coat (very light covering)

4. Then leave for 45 seconds. Now the plastic is ready for the cover coat or coats of primer.

Again this does not have to be heavy.

Keep the can moving up and down left to right about 6-8 inches away from your part.

Leave 30 seconds between coats.

5. Then put the part by for 24 hours.

6. Now the primer can be sanded to take off any over spray.

Then wash with juts water.

7. Dry ready for the top finishing coat.

Do this the same as the primer: thin layers, keeping the can moving and about 6-8 inches away from your part.

Again, in an ideal world allow a good 24 hours for the paint to cure.

8. The final and I feel most important part of painting a suit is the final polishing sand.

Use wet and dry paper (1500 grit) and use it wet.

Do small areas at a time and wipe away the paste it forms with a cloth.

You will see painted plastic turn into white glass.

Finally, Novas or T-cut for a super deep shine.

preparation is the key for a good paint job.the trick is to paint your suit in such a way that when you have finished it does not look like you have painted it.

first job wash your plastic warm soapy water,this get rid of any grease.

Key you Plastic first with some 600-800 grit sand paper.Then wash off the dust,dry it or let it dry.

The primer paint first off needs a tack coat,(very light covering) leave for 45-ish seconds,now the plastic is ready for the cover coat or coats.Again this does not have to be heavey keep the can moving up and down left to right.leave 30 seconds between coats.Then put the part by for 24 hours as a rule.

now the primer can be sanded to take off any over spray then washed just with water dryed ready for the top finishing coat.

Do this the same as the primer thin layers keep the can moving and about 6-8 inches away from your part.Again in an ideal world a good 24 hours for the paint to cure.I have put krylon away for a week before the final process before now.

The final and i feel most important part of painting a suit is the final polishing sand,with wet and dry paper 1500 grit and use it wet.Do small areas at a time and wipe away the past it forms with a cloth.You will see painted plastic turn into white glass.

Finally,novas or T-cut for a super deep shine.

:shok:

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to THE NEXT LEVEL.

This is THE BEST ANH armor replica in the Galaxy.

Incredible work, Pete!!!

:icon_bow:

Pablo just nailed it. Exactly what I'm thinking seeing this.

This, I think, is what everybody in this hobby should try to achieve one day, if they really care for the hobby.

Cheers mate, you've made something extraordinary. :icon_bow:

Just to show that this suit is fully troopable.

4905914770_8e0fc22eb6_z.jpg

4905326209_ebefcd675b_z.jpg

I have also had some professional pictures taken.This is just the first sample.

4998114142_ebb222c199_o.jpg

Absolutly incredabal Pete cant wait to see it in the flesh, and can you tell that Bat to smile ;)

These final shots are of the inner strapping which replicats how it was done in the costume workshop ready for filming.Many suits were modified through out the making of ANH and ESB with costume malfunctions ,wear and tear but this is how things started out.

4904720775_e33b6fb88d_b.jpg

Tremendous work, Pete and Paul.... this is IMO the pinnacle of what a replica ANH/ESB Stormtrooper costume should look like. And when the attention to detail extends to how the components were attached inside, it simply takes it to a whole 'nother level :duim:

Thanks to you guys, the hobby has come a looong way since I bought my first Wookiee Cantina Stormtrooper kit back in 1998, complete with rolls of velcro, ABS belt and 3-part helmet.... bblleeeuurrghh! :wacko:

Thank you guys,i fell a little humbled by these replys.

4813176945_8aed58552f_b.jpg

I Love this pic - it just screams "Imperial Stormtrooper!

And there's NO need for you to feel humble, mate. You've taken what's arguably *the* best replica Stormtrooper costume, and turned it into something that's virtually indistinguishable from the costumes we all know and love from the original movies.

I reckon you and Paul are *the* best thing to happen to replica Stormtrooper costuming.... ever! B)

Cheers,

John

swdvds@yahooDOTcom

A few more pictures from my photo shoot.Who needs a mannequin! these things are made for wearing.

5024625378_28cf6121ba_b.jpg

5024625588_04378df1fd_b.jpg

5024014745_3034c80e88_b.jpg

"Theres one set for stun"

Thanks once again for all your comments and following my journey with this amazing suit.

A few more pictures from my photo shoot.Who needs a mannequin! these things are made for wearing.

5024625378_28cf6121ba_b.jpg

5024625588_04378df1fd_b.jpg

5024014745_3034c80e88_b.jpg

"Theres one set for stun"

Thanks once again for all your comments and following my journey with this amazing suit.

Ok Pete i want you to come round to mine mate so we can recreate leias capture sceen ;) , you are truley right mate these thing are made for wearing you look top dollor mate B) , i look forward to seeing it in the flesh next weekend when i troop with you my freind :)

I think I've set the trend for high quality TK studio photography

I have always tryed to present my works in a studio style be it with the tutorials,parts etc.I have not had the opportunity until now to show full suit studio shots.Your pictures have inspired myself and many others to capture the suits in there full glory.Thank you my friend for that.

Brilliant work Pete... Brilliant photos! :duim: I give it 5 Star destroyers!star-wars-smiley-6464.gif star-wars-smiley-6464.gif star-wars-smiley-6464.gif star-wars-smiley-6464.gif star-wars-smiley-6464.gif