New Empire Strikes Back Armour Build

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like this?

AWWW, MAN!!!! After just finishing the strapping on my TM suit with the old strap and snap system, you post this??

You are a cruel b1tch, Paul. A cruel one... :lol:

Edited by Madmartigan

Ok after a weeks leave and a week to recover I'm back trying to finish my new ESB armourâ„¢ build.

I have glued the arms together and given the arms and lower legs a light weathering. As we all know George Lucas wanted the Star Wars universe to be used and look lived in, the stormtroopers were no acception and looked like they had seen plenty of action.

Couple this with the fact the ESB suits were reused by now they are looking very second hand and my armourâ„¢ build will show that.

These pics are on my iPhone and the weathering is not as dark as this in reality.

2e1aa1fb.jpg

ddb4d0f6.jpg

10ad7eb8.jpg

213b5844.jpg

Ok after a weeks leave and a week to recover I'm back trying to finish my new ESB armourâ„¢ build.

I have glued the arms together and given the arms and lower legs a light weathering. As we all know George Lucas wanted the Star Wars universe to be used and look lived in, the stormtroopers were no acception and looked like they had seen plenty of action.

Couple this with the fact the ESB suits were reused by now they are looking very second hand and my armourâ„¢ build will show that.

These pics are on my iPhone and the weathering is not as dark as this in reality.

2e1aa1fb.jpg

ddb4d0f6.jpg

10ad7eb8.jpg

213b5844.jpg

Keep it going you dirty ESB trooper :D

Ok this armourâ„¢ build is really taking shape now, time to add in a few details to make this suit look used and abused.

aabac504.jpg

1f596ee6.jpg

Talk about get your cat to weather it up for you :lol: Mark i luv the extra rivits on the side of the torso spot on touch mate ;)

Been admiring this on facebook as you know.

Bloody amazing!

Will you buggers stop raising the bar!!! It's impossible to keep up but I'll probably kill (bankrupt?) myself trying!

• 2 weeks later...

With the end of my new armourâ„¢ build nearly there i don't have much to update this thread.

I've added the ammo pack to the thigh, glued on the belt rivet covers and painted a few rivet heads white.

I've also been doing a little weathering as the SW universe was always meant to look used.

More pics to follow :)

2d0853db.jpg

do you have a screenshot of the torso extra rivets on a screen used suit?

I've never seen that many rivets before??

Great looking build.

There are a few scenes where you can see the rivets on the side. Image #43 in my ESB reference gallery shows the left side rather well. But someone probably has screen used armor (not on screen armor) that shows it better.

Photos 9, 10 and 11 show enough of the right side snap to see — or not see — all the other rivets.

So I'm with Vern on this one (too) for now.

(Vern... is there a board you're on somewhere that you don't know everything? Like the Predator costuming board... or She-Ra... or something?) :D

do you have a screenshot of the torso extra rivets on a screen used suit?

I've never seen that many rivets before??

Great looking build.

Here ya go mate B)

Ab_Kidney_Connection_03.jpg

As Paul-TM mentioned, its one of the ANH suits that appeared in the 'Holiday Special' B)

HolidaySpecial01.jpg

HolidaySpecial03.jpg

HolidaySpecial02.jpg

:)

That's so weird because you can't see them at all here...

Noel

This is how THIS particular suit (that was found in the Lucas Archives) was strapped mate.

Its pretty obvious that its not the generic / normal original set up that we find on most of

the suits. There could be many reasons for that such as break-fix / running repairs or

possible specific requirements for the stunt guys such as additional padding and what not.

You have to remember mate that they re-used ANH suits for ESB so a good few of them

would be beautifully beaten and battered B) by the time filming started.

I’d also think that for any close up work they would shy away from anything that wouldn’t

be aesthetically pleasing in their view and prefer to go for some clean and simple shiney

white examples.

:)

As Billy has rightly said, the armour I am copying is a specific set as seen In the Lucas archives and not on screen necessarily. I wanted to give the impression that my armour was well used and beaten up and had some on set repairs and with such a good example recently coming to light I added in those extra details.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you explain how exactly that modified right torso side closes? Is that 3 velcro straps on each side or what solution did you go for?

The moment I saw that archive pic, I started wondering what the heck was the idea behind that "fix".

Yes the vecro was riveted directly to the suit and simply overlapped to hold the torso closed.

Tee hee, were they really that cheap? Hilarious!

Edited by ObiHahn