Polishing AP armor

I noticed in some of the build threads that some guys polish there armor before putting it all together. Is this recommendable? Also, when it does come time to get things nice and polished up, what are the more preferable polishes? And while on the subject, my friend just got his new gunner helmet. since we are both working together on this, I'll go ahead ask: Is the better polish for my AP armor equally good for his helmet? don't see the point in both of us spending on polish one of us can buy and share.

Thanks! John

I use Novus polish on my RT suit, helmet & AP helmet. Nice and pretty simple to use. It comes in three different kinds: #1 is a straight up polish; #2 is a light scratch remover; and #3 is for heavier scratches & blemishes. When I use either #2 or #3 I always go back over the area with the #1 polish to get the armor looking shiny once more.

I am not sure if Novus will be good on the gunner's helmet or not. It's really made specifically for plastics, and if that helmet is fiberglass, I don't know that I would use it.

Two votes for Novus. Makes the white suits shine and the black suits into a mirror.

And as an added bonus #1 is also an ABS cleaner. It says it also leaves a "fog resistant" finish ... From what I've seen (or not for that matter) it's not 100% anti-fog by any stretch but to does help.

Save your strength and polish after you are finished. No point in doing it now. No point at doing it at all if your armour isn't damaged or dirty. The AP kit have all the gloss you need, so save the polishing for later, when you have trooped a few troops and gotten some scratches. If you want to be clean, that is. I like a little scratch here and there, it's screen accurate. ;)

I am finishing my suit up, and I polish pieces as I fully complete them, meaning they need no additional work or snap tabs or anything. With novus no less. I ONLY use novus 3 if i have to remove scratches, because it actually is a light abrasive itself. If the piece is still in good shape I just give it 1 and 2.

I haven't polished my armour for well over 18 months now and it it still looks pretty darn sexy B)

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Novus 2 is also a light scratch remover, so no point in using that unless you have scratches. Novus 1 should be enough if you just want gloss on a smooth surface. :)

In stead of novus 3, I use sandpaper instead. Much easier to control. ;)

• 5 months later...