NEW SOURCE FOR PLASTIC T-TRACK!

I am building a PVC blaster and needed t-track. I have some rubber, Blastech track left over from a previous build but not enough to do my new blaster. I wanted plastic anyway. I searched through all hardware and hobby type stores in my area. I stumbled upon an unlikely source. In the garden section of Home Depot, a brand of lawn rake called Ames 30" lawn rake. All the "fingers" are t-track shaped, black and plastic!!! After you cut them out, you will have 26, 6 1/2 inch pieces of t-track for $11!!!! Here's the bad news, though. They are CLOSE but not perfect in the accuracy department. A side by side with Blastech's show blastech is 1/2 inch wide and the rakes are 7/16. Also with the rakes, it tapers slightly from one end to the other. Both the rake and Blastechs "t" is 1/4 of an inch tall but the rake's taper to 1/8 at the end. I know this may be a turn-off to some. But there are those who say that close is good enough. Perhaps other rakes might offer better. Keep a watch out as more rakes come out for fall raking season!!!!

• Like 1

I will try this....AGAIN for the UMPTEENTH X 36 time. I HOPE this will finallt show the rake, the comparisons to the blastech track, the "rake"track on my unfinished blaster. NOTE: the track is not yet glued on the blaster.

317.jpg318.jpg319.jpg320.jpg321.jpg322.jpg323.jpg

without that taper it would be really close to the blastech.

only thing missing is the internal circular curve.

looks pretty good.

let's see a photo with em glued down?

• 2 weeks later...

No packaging just a label on the rake that says: AMES est.1774 our tools built america 30 in. poly leaf rake

I was at Menards a couple days ago and saw that they have similar rakes with similar fingers. Most were red but if you are going to paint the blaster as I did, it wont make a difference.

That is awesome, that is exactly what I used like a year ago, my secrete is out, here are my blasters with Rake "t" track, tonight I will post some pics of the Rake it's self !

e111s.jpg

e112.jpg

Edited by Blastmaster

While not perfect, I think for most folks it will be good enough. When I was at Celebration V I saw a lot of troopers who could be EIB *except* for their blasters - getting the right number of t-racks for Hasbro's being among the main items (well, that and side gaps).

It goes to show that with a little imagination one can get to EIB *done* with little cost. This is an excellent find - we'll have to ensure it's stickied. In fact, I'll do it now.

Here is the Rake that I used, And I did this before I new about all of these forums and before I joined the 501st, I have never changed the "T" track, they look pretty good.

The rake was $10.00 at Lowes Home Improvement , here in the US. I cut them to size then used a heat gun to bend the ends.

eiirake3.jpg

eiirake4.jpg

eiirake5.jpg

Edited by Blastmaster

I think it looks better when the T track fills the hole, rather than being bent to it's edge.

it covers the hole more, and it looks much better!

nice enough for me at this point!

I'm getting ready to try thse bad boys out on a pipe build!

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...