New Helmet Pads!

SolderMaster (Brian) was kind enough to let me prototype a new way of taking care of helmet padding. He can tell you much more about it, but from what I gather, he has this great foam that he uses on the job for soundproofing. When cut properly to size and installed in a helmet, it makes for a very comfortable and secure padding system. What is even better is the fact that this stuff has industrial strength adhesive on the back of it. No velcro, no glue, no mess!

Here is what I got!

4838497379_45f46578ba_z.jpg

With a little measuring and a box cutter, you can get nice clean pieces tailored to your specific dome. It cuts cleanly in two passes, one for the foam, one for the adhesive layer. You can get it even crisper than what I did if you are a perfectionist.

4838488073_0ac3c2d4f0_z.jpg

When you are ready, just peel off the backing and stick them in. This picture also shows the various levels of poofyness in the foam.

4838489407_2c8a6b07ae_z.jpg

And this is what you get.... VERY comfy, a little hot, but that is to be expected with all that foam in there. And I still have whole strip left for friends or repairs!

4839098236_a9f165eac0_z.jpg

Thanks a ton Brian! He is planning on maybe selling these foam strips on the market, and if he does, I highly suggest it!

Haha, that is great stuff. I use the exact same stuff in my armor builds. They use it at my work for sound proofing the engine panels for construction equipment (wheel loaders & excavators).

those pads look great.

my only feeling is that you don't really need that much padding, unless you're going to be wearing it

for a game of baseball, or perhaps getting clocked by a rabid ewok.

One Single Circular pad at the top with a chin strap and everything stays centered, and you actually have

air around your ears, and sides of your head.

I don't even put padding across my forehead.

for me, it's all about air flow!

now that I've said all this, I think I'm gonna get some of this for my thighs and shins.

I agree with Vern... this stuff looks great for the thighs, shins, and maybe the forearms.

It might get a little warm if worn outside, but I walked around the house with my dome on for a while and it was tolerable, and it felt nice and poofy. For me and those that want to stick their head in a pillow, this stuff is great.

If this stuff gets offered for sale I'd be interested. It would save me from having to go out and buy foam and double-sided tape.

Very cool and very nice looking! I ended up getting the underarmor(ish) material, cutting foam pieces, sewing little pouches and attached them with velcro so I can take them out and wash them if they start to smell. I like this foam stuff though, looks very professional!

Glad you found something that will work out. Your bucket and boxers looks pretty clean. Some guys goe simple with their pads but stuff like this and the ACH/MCH pads feel great on your dome. I've got a chin strap cut down from a football helmet and coupled with padding like what you guys have it makes for a lock tight fit.

Looks great fellas :)