CV is going to be my first Con - Tips?

Agent RayBans

Hey all,

I just got my badge for CV in the mail today, and I am very excited. Thing is, I have never been to a convention before, let alone a big one like CV, and I am starting to feel a little intimidated by it all.

I'm hoping some more experienced Convention goers can share some words of wisdom? What should I bring, what should I make sure to see, etc?

If nothing else - bring a camera. One that's good enough to take decent digital photos, but not so good that you'll curl into a ball and cry if it gets wrecked or stolen. :P

1. Get sleep. Being sleep deprived by staying out partying too late makes you groggy and not really able to enjoy the day or be good company to others.

2. Bring a camera and take boat loads of pictures.

3. Don't be bashful - meet everyone you can. The whole point of a con is to meet and hang out with like minded people.

4. Don't try to do everything. Have some unscheduled time where you can relax and gather it all in.

Most importantly - have fun. :)

Related question (no hijack intended): How does suiting up at an event like this work? I can't imagine there will be a secure location to keep bins and get changed. So I guess changing in the parking garage (I would be driving in) is the norm? And if you want to go back into your "civies" you have to go back to your car?

IF I get my TK done in time, and get my 501st ID, and can afford a ticket I really want to join the party since it's in my backyard. I too have never done a con.

When I went to D*Con I just changed in my hotel room, as I was lucky enough to have one right at the event. For smaller cons, I just change in the parking lot.

Yep, parking lot turned dressing room. Been there, done that. :P

You can also have a lot of fun even out of costume by volunteering as a handler/helper. I figure the best way to do that (if you're interested) is to let the Florida Garrison members know in advance that in the event you don't get approved in time, you'd at least like to help out.

Make sure you go to the bathroom before you suit up. You don't want to be squirming around when people are trying to take their pic with you ;)

I always pack a "fix-it" kit with lots of batteries, white duct tape, velcro, foam padding, scissors etc, etc. Also, if it's a multi-day con like C5 you may want to invest in some extra under armour (for obvious reasons :D

Enjoy and post some pics when you get back!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Convention Newb questions:

"Will Call" is just for people picking up their tickets, right?

All I will need is to have my badge and I can go right in Thursday?

How early should one get there before the doors open?

Some extra tips..

-Drink lots of water, remember this is Florida in August, HOT!

-Sorry UKG'ers, but if you get overheated dont' be afraid to take your helmet off. Nobody wants to see a passed out trooper.

and the most important tip of all...

-Have fun!

Don't worry man this is my first big con ever since i joined the 501st this going to be exciting man just kick back relax take deep breaths and enjoy cause your at the biggest starwars party ever i know its a lot to take in lol

@Hayes- the "Main Event"- Jon Stewart interview with George Lucas will be the one thing you want wake up early, tickets will be given out at 6AM, Saturday.

Things to prep for this con:

1) First, make a check list of everything you need to bring and double check before leaving the house that you have it all. :lol: I've forgotten to bring my boots twice.

2) Have fresh/extra batteries for: fans, voice amp, mp3, lights. If you're a TK/TD- get your radio chatter loops. Again double check that everything works the night before. If flying, take all your batteries out, TSA will inspect anything with batteries/wires and they are not good in putting things back.

3) Lens defogger wipes

4) Good idea is wearing Skull cap, dull rag, or balaclava to adsorb the sweat & helps from stinking-especially wet foam

5) Good idea is a small camel back to hydrate for all day trooping and keeps you cool when you put it in a frige overnight

7) Neck coolers are also great for your head and neck- you wet it & it'll feel -10 degrees when worn

8) A hand towel,deodorant, t-shirts/undies,shorts,socks/sneakers, backpack & camera for after the troop

9) Hard candies are also good to keep your mouth from drying, food and drinks for all day troops, con prices are very high

10) If your wear contacts, put some eye drops before trooping, the fans will dry out your eyes.

11) If you plan to take on/off your armor frequently, have a repair kit- hot glue, super glue, clear packaging tape, Velcro, professional black (not the grey cheappy crap) duct tape, thread & needle, electric tape for wiring repair, etc.

12) Use the restroom before your troop ;)

13) If you're bringing a bin to a general changing area, bring a "combination" lock, keys gets lost and then you're screwed.