Carbon Fiber Vacuum Forming

I heard it is possible to vacuum form carbon fiber. I have not been able to find any information on this. Can any materials experts chime in? I'd love to know operating temps and what the best configuration , thickness, etc. of carbon fiber would work. I though it'd be kinda cool to make a carbon fiber trooper.

Here is some info on sheet material; http://robotcombat.com/store_carbon_fiber_faq.html

I wouldn't think it is vac-formable due to the carbon fibers not being condusive to being heated and stretched. Plus getting no hits on forming sites is an indicator. We try forming anything that melts. :P However, carbon fiber sheets come in very thin gauges, so you could lay something up with paper thin sheets stacked & laminated together. Seems like a money pit though, that stuff doesn't come cheap. I saw it formed industrially for car parts with a heat press (using a two part metal mold inside a giant press) on the Discovery channel.

I heard it is possible to vacuum form carbon fiber. I have not been able to find any information on this. Can any materials experts chime in? I'd love to know operating temps and what the best configuration , thickness, etc. of carbon fiber would work. I though it'd be kinda cool to make a carbon fiber trooper.

Ā 

Sorry it is not possible from my Experence in dealing with Carbon Fiber to Vacumeform it. you can use the molds and lay the carbon fiber on them to make the armor but you will still need Resin to harden the fiber after that you can use a vaccume to compress the CArbon fiber to the the shape.

I think you can get carbon fibre print/embossed plastic that will vacuum form but I have never heard of the actual carbon fibre been formed. It is moulded just like fibreglass with resin AFAIK. Only thermoset and thermoplastic can be heat formed.

• 3 weeks later...