AP ANH armor progress

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Troops,

I've finished my helmet, just have to install the liner and skullworx kit.

Here are some pics of the helmet project.

Ā 

stormtrooper280.jpg

stormtrooper300.jpg

stormtrooper303.jpg

stormtrooper320-1.jpg

stormtrooper359.jpg

stormtrooper324.jpg

stormtrooper341.jpg

stormtrooper342.jpg

stormtrooper344.jpg

stormtrooper347.jpg

Ā 

Till next time,

Curtis

Looking Great Curtis! :duim::dance:

Ā 

Man, is it me or are 501st Stormtroopers getting better and better?

Ā 

Thanks Paul,

Now I can submit my 501st photos and you can give me the good access. :D

Ā 

Curtis

Been following this tutorial, and hope to put it to use starting this weekend.. upgrading mine.. Got 1 question for anyone, what is a skullworx kit? thanks for any help...Awesome thread..thanks jjv5150

Ā 

Ā 

Skullworx kit is a electronics kit with fans, mic & speakers all in one kit. Its not as good as the Bomar kit that TK-4205 is creating which I plan to get one of those Bomars for my TE Hero helmet when I get it.

The Skullworx kit is good. The only thing I changed is I replaced the speaker mic tips with the set of Hovi-Mix with speakers that I got from Stomper.

Ā 

Curtis :D

Skullworx kit is a electronics kit with fans, mic & speakers all in one kit. Its not as good as the Bomar kit that TK-4205 is creating which I plan to get one of those Bomars for my TE Hero helmet when I get it.

The Skullworx kit is good. The only thing I changed is I replaced the speaker mic tips with the set of Hovi-Mix with speakers that I got from Stomper.

Ā 

Thanks Curtis.. I too am curiously awaiting the Bomar..enjoy ur thread...jaime

thats good stuff man, kudos to you. let us know if you decide to go with skullworx.

Ā 

Thanks Felixx,

I received my Skullworx kit a month ago and have tested it outside of the helmet and it works good.

I will see how it sounds when I put it into the helmet in the next day or two after I fit the liner in.

The AP helmet is small, I can barely get my head through the opening. I'm sure I will have to mod the batting helmet liner a bit to make it fit right.

Ā 

This has been a brilliant thread thanks to curtis.

This is the mark that any new person should look to.

Curtis your a legend.

cheers for posting.

:D :D

Ā 

Thanks Chef,

Ā 

More to come..

Ā 

Curtis :salute:

i put the batting helmet padding just like yours in my f/x helmet no issues, lots of room (no surprise there). When i looked on the big auction site for skullworx i didnt come across anything. /me scratches head. I have a second helmet coming in about a month or so. woot!

Thanks Felixx,

I received my Skullworx kit a month ago and have tested it outside of the helmet and it works good.

I will see how it sounds when I put it into the helmet in the next day or two after I fit the liner in.

The AP helmet is small, I can barely get my head through the opening. I'm sure I will have to mod the batting helmet liner a bit to make it fit right.

Ā 

Ā 

Great lookin Helmet! :salute: you know you could trim about a half inch off the bottom like I did with my AP, to have a bigger hole for your head :D

Curtis,

Looks great. Just curious...did you drill the 8 pre-marked holes (3 around each 'ear' and 1 by the neck at the bottom of the ear piece) or did you place/drill your own holes. If so, how did you do it? Also for the mic tips, did you drill in the pre-marked area?

Ā 

thanks,

JT

Curtis,

Looks great. Just curious...did you drill the 8 pre-marked holes (3 around each 'ear' and 1 by the neck at the bottom of the ear piece) or did you place/drill your own holes. If so, how did you do it? Also for the mic tips, did you drill in the pre-marked area?

Ā 

thanks,

JT

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks JT,

Yeah I just drilled out the premarked holes on the helmet. Since the helmet is asymmetrical and you do notice it more when the helmet is put together, you have to apply your decals so it makes it look more even.

Ā 

Thanks JT,

Yeah I just drilled out the premarked holes on the helmet. Since the helmet is asymmetrical and you do notice it more when the helmet is put together, you have to apply your decals so it makes it look more even.

Ā 

Ā 

That's good news because I already drilled mine and I like the look you got. I was talking to another guy who drilled the pre-marked holes but then couldn't get the 'stunt' look on the forehead trim as he wanted it so he said he was forced to drill a few new holes. He had said putting it together in the pre-marked holes resulted in a look a bit too 'hero' for him with the trim right above the eyes. You can't see the additional holes in the helmet because the ear caps cover them but still the idea of drilling unneeded holes in my bucket is not a pleasant one.

Same goes here, I predrilled the AP ear holes first, then realized it was a little too low, I only drilled a new set in the bottom/under holes to get the back higher, and that gives what you see in my avatar / gallery. In the end, I really didn't care about the 2nd set of holes it just look perfect to me :)

Ā 

That's good news because I already drilled mine and I like the look you got. I was talking to another guy who drilled the pre-marked holes but then couldn't get the 'stunt' look on the forehead trim as he wanted it so he said he was forced to drill a few new holes. He had said putting it together in the pre-marked holes resulted in a look a bit too 'hero' for him with the trim right above the eyes. You can't see the additional holes in the helmet because the ear caps cover them but still the idea of drilling unneeded holes in my bucket is not a pleasant one.

Hey Troops,

I've finished my shins and attached the knee plate today.

I used the same method as Dave's Videos again and they turned out great.

I attached the knee plate with white rivets. First I taped the plate to the shin and then drilled the holes, it was much easier to keep the plate even.

Tomorrow I will glue the thighs and then start doing my webbing and canvas belt mod. Everything is coming along nice and smooth and I hope thats the way my 501'st approval and deployment status goes. :D

Ā 

Here are some pics of todays project.

Ā 

stormtrooper098.jpg

stormtrooper099.jpg

stormtrooper103.jpg

Ā 

Till next time,

Curtis

Ā 

Curtis,

Can you tell me how the heck you got both the front and back molded edges at the top of the left calve to match up because mine don't line up at all. You can see in the photo below that if you match up the front lipped-edge, then the back will be way off. If you line up the back, the front will be way off. I asked on the RPF and everyone said that the sniper-plate will cover it up. That may be true but I see from your pics that you got them to match up perfectly. Can you help here?

Ā 

Thanks a lot,

John

Ā 

Ā 

DSC06463.jpg

Curtis,

Can you tell me how the heck you got both the front and back molded edges at the top of the left calve to match up because mine don't line up at all. You can see in the photo below that if you match up the front lipped-edge, then the back will be way off. If you line up the back, the front will be way off. I asked on the RPF and everyone said that the sniper-plate will cover it up. That may be true but I see from your pics that you got them to match up perfectly. Can you help here?

Ā 

Thanks a lot,

John

DSC06463.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Hey JT,

I lined up the front first, trimmed a little off the bottom front and then glued the front like on Daves videos. After that I put a couple of small pieces of velcro on the back and then trimmed the back so it was even.

To be honest I spent a good 6-7 hrs. sanding and trimming all the pieces of the calf/shins until I was happy with them, but I figured the most important thing was to line up the front of them and then worry about the back.

Ā 

Hope that helps,