AP ANH armor progress

Hey Troops,

I've been trimming my AP kit and I wanted to share my progress and info to anyone thinking of picking up this kit. For pre-trimming I used an Xacto knife to score the guide line and then I just bent it till it snapped off. At first I was kinda scared to attempt it but after the first piece (right calf) I realized how clean of a break it made. I only have a few more pieces to trim and then I can sand and clean up. I realized after trimming most of the pieces and test fitting a few (shins,thighs & arms) that if I were any bigger or smaller the kit would need other alterations. this armor was really made for someone 5'10 - 5'11 and 150 - 160 lbs.

I'm 5'11 160 lbs. so I shouldn't have any problems at all.

Here are some pics of my progress.

stormtrooper023.jpg

stormtrooper014.jpg

stormtrooper010.jpg

stormtrooper013.jpg

stormtrooper018.jpg

stormtrooper019.jpg

stormtrooper029.jpg

stormtrooper032.jpg

stormtrooper033.jpg

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is beautifull. I found that it is better to score and bend whilst triming. Its a bit like tiling in that respect.

Im sure its very stressfull triming when you know you could make a mistake.

Keep up the good work and please keep us posted with your pictures as and when you can.

cheers

chef

Thanks,

Chef,

Thanks for giving me the heads up about putting pics on the forum.

I should be done pre-trimming before the weekend is over.

Curtis

Hey curtis your armour is going to look sweet when its done. I dont know if i have the balls to do all that cutting myself, look forward to seeing more from you in the near future :duim:

Hey curtis your armour is going to look sweet when its done. I dont know if i have the balls to do all that cutting myself, look forward to seeing more from you in the near future :duim:

Thanks Mark,

I'm not even that skilled with an xacto, so if I could do it than I'm sure alot of guys thinking about getting this

armor but are just not sure about trimming, worry no more. The hardest thing is being patient cause I'm sitting here with a full set of Stormtrooper armor that I've wanted for years and I cant wear it yet.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!

So the key is patience and it will pay off.

I cant wait to finish it and to receive one of your belts than my armor should look awesome.

Curtis

Curtis

Your armor looks sweet. I just got my box of ANH armor from AP a few weeks ago and I am trying to build up the confidence to start trimming it out. From your photos the score and snap method looks good. Thanks for all the pictures. It make me want to start on my armor. I'm just like you, it is hard having it all there and not being able to wear it. Maybe this weekend I start on it.

Thanks

Trooperbluecow

Trimming a kit for me is not any fun at all. Kinda like going to the dentist in the way that it costs alot of money and you end up dreading it. When I first got mine I just went to town on it like a kid with a new toy. After a few cuts and a nice gouge in my Wifes counter top I just had to chuck the thing back into the box for a coulple of months.

If you get burned out on it, don't be afraid to set it aside for a little while. Nobody should be in a big hurry to build a decient costume. In the long run it is all worth it when you put it on and folks walk into walls looking at you :P

Hey Troops,

I've finished pre-trimming almost all the parts, it took about two weeks a couple of hours a night. I still have to do some sanding on the edges but I am very happy to have trimmed it without any mishaps. But today I just couldn't wait I had to put something together! So I decided to put my forearms together. My friend Scott came over to assist me, and we watched mt friend Dave's You Tube videos on putting together the forearms.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=glastondebury

I used the same method as Dave, Plastic weld the front seam and Indust. velcro the inside(close to body).

Everyone that is putting together a new set of armour should watch Dave's videos. It's such a great thing that Dave did to help newcomers.

After putting the forearms together I was able to fit my hand through the forearm with no problem and with my glove on, so I will probably plastic weld the inside seam too. I plan to completely plastic weld the bicepts and the thighs also, but I will use Dave's videos for the shins/calfs.

Here are the pics for todays project.

stormtrooper048.jpg

stormtrooper052.jpg

stormtrooper059.jpg

stormtrooper056.jpg

stormtrooper050.jpg

stormtrooper043.jpg

My cat Josie was getting Pissed cause I haven't been paying enough attention to her since I've been doing this project so I wanted to include her in this and give her Kudos for being as supportive as a cat could be.

Till next time,

Curtis

ahhhh wish i had this when i was building!

Looks great plz make sure to document every thing you do!!!!

What kept your blade from goin all wavy on you when you scored the plastic? I can't cut a straight line to save my life.

Hey Clutch,

On the AP kit there are visible indented guide lines that your knife will sit in and just score slowly and make sure you have enough lite at you work station. Some of the guide lines on some pieces are not that visible so what I did was take a crayon and drew the line while I used some reference pics and then just follow the line with your exacto. Again take your time and do it SLLOOOWWLLYY.

Curtis

What Curtis said is true, and just take it slow. One little trick that I used was that I use a mat knife, you know, the ones with the adjustable blade length? A new blade at half length didn't flex a bit.

Hey Troops,

Today I put together my biceps. I was going to put together my shins/calfs also, but when I was test fitting

my biceps I realized I needed to do alot of trimming around the edges to make them fit as good as can be.

It took a few hours until I was happy. That seems to be the only problem with getting a kit that is not pre-trimmed, but the kit is awesome. Basically I've decided to only put together one set of pieces a week such as next week I'll put together my shins/calfs and the week after, my thighs. I want to take my time so it comes out the best it can be. I'll be doing other projects along the way like my Kenner blaster mod and my canvas belt mod with holster from Firebladejedi and I'll post all my progress for all to see.

Biceps:

All I needed were four things,

1. Devcon plastic welder

2. Blue painters tape

3. Clamps

4. Timer

I watched Dave's You-Tube videos as reference but as I said before I decided to weld both sides of the biceps,

so I just repeated Dave's process 4X. They turned out better than I imagined. I just took my time and tried not to be in a rush. Make sure if you glue to stay 1/8 of an inch away from the edge of your tape line so you don't squeeze out any glue on to your visible armor. You only have a few minutes to work with this glue.

Here are some progress pics of todays project.

stormtrooper060.jpg

stormtrooper062.jpg

stormtrooper064.jpg

stormtrooper069.jpg

stormtrooper071.jpg

stormtrooper067.jpg

Again thanks for everyone being so cool and thanks again to Dave for his videos, his helmet is coming along great!

Till next week,

Curtis

Thanks for the update curtis. Nice work by the way.

cheers

No problem Chef!

Whats on the menu today? :D

Curtis

Hey Troops,

I just wanted to post some pics of my Hasbro Blaster Mod.

Here is what I used:

1. Blaster from Hasbro.com $19.99

2. Conversion Kit from E-bay $40.00

3. Devcon Plastic Welder $ 2.97

4. 1 can grey primer $ 2.99

5. 1 can semi gloss black $ 2.99

6. Silver hobby paint $ 1.99

7. 1 small paint brush $ .99

8. 1 large size paint brush (dry brushing) $ .99

Total = $73.00

I was going to purchase a Resin Blaster but decided it would be more fun and cheaper to put my own together. Not bad for my first one.

stormtrooper003.jpg

stormtrooper072.jpg

stormtrooper009.jpg

stormtrooper073.jpg

stormtrooper075.jpg

stormtrooper077.jpg

Have fun to whomever is going to Celebration Europe!

Curtis :D

Hi curtis, you are very good at this prop makin stuff. Well done.

Im off with my brother and two son's to celebration europe.

will post up some stuff when i get back to the midlands.

have a good weekend and thanks for keeping us in the loop with your projects.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Troops,

I've finished my shins and attached the knee plate today.

I used the same method as Dave's Videos again and they turned out great.

I attached the knee plate with white rivets. First I taped the plate to the shin and then drilled the holes, it was much easier to keep the plate even.

Tomorrow I will glue the thighs and then start doing my webbing and canvas belt mod. Everything is coming along nice and smooth and I hope thats the way my 501'st approval and deployment status goes. :D

Here are some pics of todays project.

stormtrooper080.jpg

stormtrooper082.jpg

stormtrooper092.jpg

stormtrooper098.jpg

stormtrooper096.jpg

stormtrooper099.jpg

stormtrooper103.jpg

Till next time,

Curtis