TK_LEPER

2010 VT Helmet Kit Review

The VT (Vacuum This) Helmet is made of ABS, and costs about $175.00 plus $18.00 S&H on ebay. My kit arrived just the other day, and so I thought I might follow through with you and see how it looks straight out of the box.

This items box arrived in perfect shape, and everything inside was packed quite well (as you can see).

web.jpg?ver=12792411450001

web.jpg?ver=12792411330001

This kit comes complete with Mike's ANH Decals, S-Trim, Brow Trim, Hand Painted style tube stripes,

some black detailing tape for the ears, Hovi style mic tips, frown mesh, and assorted hardware.

web.jpg?ver=12792411250001

web.jpg?ver=12792411180001

One of the FIRST things I noticed about this kit, was how thick the plastic was for the ears

(compared to other kits), they are really nice and sturdy. Usually I have to coat the inside of

these with resin, but I don't think I'll have to this time!

web.jpg?ver=12792411110001

web.jpg?ver=12792411010001

web.jpg?ver=12792411060001

Edited by TK 4702

Obviously the face plate is shown here. Again, the plastic is pretty thick in comparison. It's still thinner in all the typical areas (mic tips) but so far so good.

web.jpg?ver=12792410920001

I did notice a small dip in the tears, probably from a hole made for air to escape when vacuum forming.

web.jpg?ver=12792410860001

web.jpg?ver=12792410420001

Hoping this won't be a problem, and the ears cover enough of this area. But it's on both sides of the face plate.

web.jpg?ver=12792410790001

web.jpg?ver=12792410610001

web.jpg?ver=12792410550001

Good detail in the nose area

web.jpg?ver=12792410350001

The details in the chin are a bit different than what I'm use to seeing.

web.jpg?ver=12792410720001

web.jpg?ver=12792410280001

web.jpg?ver=12792410220001

Edited by TK 4702

There are some differences here and there, small curvatures seem different, like the one (shown below), just below the frown.

web.jpg?ver=12792410150001

Nice and bumpy! :D I may not even sand these!

web.jpg?ver=12792410080001

web.jpg?ver=12792410000001

web.jpg?ver=12792409900001

An obvious trim line is always appreciated!

web.jpg?ver=12792409840001

web.jpg?ver=12792409790001

web.jpg?ver=12792409720001

I'll have to compare this to the "real thing," looks a bit off to me, but... who really knows anymore! ;)

web.jpg?ver=12792409660001

web.jpg?ver=12792409600001

At the bottom of the box is a strip of green plastic for the lens material. It is thicker than the original screen used material, but not as thick as a welder's face shield. But it comes protected on both sides, with a wax-like paper sheet. The color seems pretty close to screen accurate, but again... I'll have to look into it, if that tells you anything? :)

web.jpg?ver=12792409470001

web.jpg?ver=12792409530001

web.jpg?ver=12792409300001

Edited by TK 4702

i Had VT kit a couple years back. It was pretty thin and flimsy but had nice detail. He has stepped up his product considerably since then. the kit looks great to me.The little pinch in the back of the tube on the faceplate is pretty normal. My TE2 had it and my AP did as well. If you assemble it right, it gets covered by the earpiece. Looks like a great kit to me! I may consider getting one fora display bucket!

Hoping this won't be a problem, and the ears cover enough of this area. But it's on both sides of the face plate.

web.jpg?ver=12792410790001

That's on all good helmets. B)

That's really nice man!

I'd leave the bumpy back too! :D

In conclusion...

I'm actually quite impressed with this kit so far, but as most of you already know... it's usually not until you begin the building process, until you see if it's worth the price you paid. But even so, my 1st impression was a good one, and the fact that it's thicker than most plastic parts... really got my attention. That, and the fact that it's an ABS kit. Sure, there's been a lot of debate on the strength of one material versus another... but for me personally... I really like working with ABS.

I was also impressed with the packing job, nothing says "they" care about the customer, like a good packing job. :D LOL! No seriously, nothing bugs me more than getting a box with a bunch of loose parts rattling around inside of it, like they were just thrown in without any concern at all. It also says something about the product manufacturer, and the heart they put into it. The packaging is sometimes half the experience!

The third and final detail that got my attention, was just that... the details. The accurate decals by Dave M, that have that hand painted look. The properly sized rubber trim, and pre-assembled Hovi mic tips. I mean, when you think about all the effort that went into making this kit. It really is a bargain... because it's obvious that more than one person had a hand in making these kits as good as they are.

So with all that said, I AM happy to have purchased this kit, and I look forward to building yet another helmet for my ever growing collection of TK lids! :)

Jess

Edited by TK 4702

good write up. i can't wait to see it all completed. i just might have to pick one of these up and build one.

Just a friendly correction...The decals are actually by Mike, TK 4510, not "Dave";)

Yea,i'll agree, the VT kits are one of the better ones nowadays. I will likely pick one up in the future. I also like working with the ABS helmets/Armor better than HIPS. Although dont getv me wrong,i LOVE my TE2 Sandie! heh

Edited by Darth Voorhees

Nice to hear he's taken the feedback to heart and the kids are more sturdy now. It will be an interesting thread for sure.

VT was actually one of the 1st kits I bought many moons ago. It was a completed Hero. It has the incorrect ears because he wasn't making the correct ones at the time but the detail was crisp.

Edited by Amish Trooper

You are my hero I will be keeping up on this thread! Please be detailed, I should be getting my VT kit any day now to compliment my new AM armor!

Glad to hear y'all are happy with this kit. Good luck with construction!

How would you guys say the VT measures up to a modified eFX helmet (aka MRCE)?

They're about the same price now that the ESB eFX helmets have been released.

Alternatively, there's also someone on the Legion forums selling what he calls a D-42 kit <link deleted> ...

Of those, what would you guys recommend for a trooper who's finally ready to upgrade his bucket? :)

Edited by Fleetfang

D-42 is a recaster out of Arizona, not to be confused with the bad AP/SDS recaster on the East Coast. I'll leave it for others to comment on the quality of his recasting, and also the best guess as to who he recasted.

This thread is about VT. If you'd like to discuss D-42, let's please start a new thread for that topic.

This thread is about VT. If you'd like to discuss D-42, let's please start a new thread for that topic.

I know it's about the VT. My questions were about the VT, too. I don't want to discuss the D-42 here, and I had no intention of thread-jacking. So let's just forget I mentioned it. <deletes link above>

I'm trying to get a better understanding of the VT helmet, since I haven't actually seen any pics of it assembled and next to another helmet, I have no frame of reference for it. The assessment of the kit sounds like a glowing review (and I'm leaning toward buying one) but before I do, I'd kind of like to hear more about how it measures up against other stuff that's out there.

I don't think it's off topic to ask how the VT helmet measures up against another popular lid like the MRCE.

Anybody have an opinion on that, or am I in the wrong forum?

Edited by Fleetfang

As I build mine, I'll post photos of my progress. Much like I do on my other projects here on FISD forums. Probably by this weekend I should have something to show.

M-Kay? Thanks! :)

Jess

As I build mine, I'll post photos of my progress. Much like I do on my other projects here on FISD forums. Probably by this weekend I should have something to show.

That'd be awesome, Jess! Thanks!!

I don't think it's off topic to ask how the VT helmet measures up against another popular lid like the MRCE.

Anybody have an opinion on that, or am I in the wrong forum?

Any screen accurate kit (TE2, CAP, AP, VT, ATA, PT, etc etc etc) is better than the MRCE.

I owned one and compared it to an AP I also owned. I would say they are about the same size.

Any screen accurate kit (TE2, CAP, AP, VT, ATA, PT, etc etc etc) is better than the MRCE.

Boy howdy. This just goes to show me how little I know about this stuff... I had no idea; I thought the MRCE (after modifications) was one of the better lids to be had! <facepalm!> Looks like I might very well be following Jess and Chaosticbunny in getting a VT!

Thanks for starting this thread, Jess - I'm looking forward to following your progress. Maybe I'll even get to follow along at home soon. ;)

Edited by Fleetfang

This weekend, I had started to trim this lid out. To do a quick test fit, I used some magnets to hold the two pieces together, and see how everything lined up. This is sort of a tricky kit, not the easiest to do. If you are thinking of getting one, I would recommend getting some rare earth magnets, and not trimming the face plate's sides at all, but the forehead line is fine. The dome trim lines are pretty good as well, you should not be too concerned there.

web.jpg?ver=12800782270001

web.jpg?ver=12800782560001

web.jpg?ver=12800782340001

web.jpg?ver=12800782490001

]web.jpg?ver=12800782660001

web.jpg?ver=12800782410001

web.jpg?ver=12800782730001

Edited by TK 4702

A little further along now... a word of advice, be very careful when cutting the eyes out. I slipped a couple times with my knife, and one time I cut into the nose pretty good. Anyhow, it's looking pretty good I think. I have to patch a hole where I had placed a rivet, just under the left ear-piece, you might notice a gaping hole there. :) Guess that solves the debate on weather I should paint it, since I'll have to plug that up now. It always looks more authentic when you paint it anyhow! And I might go with the decals on this one, they really look quite good!

web.jpg?ver=12801759390001

web.jpg?ver=12801759450001

web.jpg?ver=12801759520001

web.jpg?ver=12801759580001

web.jpg?ver=12801759640001

web.jpg?ver=12801759710001

web.jpg?ver=12801765420001

web.jpg?ver=12801765850001

Edited by TK 4702

Looking good, but I'd trim the eyes a lot more