Why Do you Dress Up as a Star Wars Character

Delta-98

Hey,

I am thinking about writing something about this in the future, and I will be asking the same question to several other groups I am in that share your enthusiasm with the Star Wars Saga.

So, the question is?

Why do you Dress Up as a Star Wars Character?

I guess I should go first.

When I started with a home made Mandalorian Armor, I just did it for fun and because I like Star Wars, but after some time, I found something else, a group of friends from all over the world, a way to bring happiness to other people, like children and some others not so young.

For me it is always another way to share with my kids, since they love the saga and we dress up together. And it provides a escape from the day to day things.

When a kid gives you a hug at a convention or at a hospital or at any event we participate, that is life changing, because in their little eyes, you are that character that they love so much, or that Star Wars character they just learned that existed, and ask you questions such as, where is your spaceship? or, do you work for Lord Vader, or, would you like to come home with me?

So, I guess I do this because it opens doors to do some other things that I would not be able to do if I was not part of this awesome group of people.

Thanks for having me.

And, May The Force Be With You.

Edited by TX 7798

Interesting. But is it needed to say "Star Wars character"? I mean, why dress up as any character? Robocop? Iron Man? Batman? Pokeman? Winnie the Pooh? A French maid? An early 1900s gentleman? Are the underlying reasons not all the same?

Here's the blurb I wrote up for my fellow ECG member Philip Moy book "Buckets Off" to go with my photo. I think it sums up my feelings pretty well...

I first saw the original Star Wars in 1977 when I was 7 years old, and it had a profound effect on me and how I viewed the world. I had the figures, the toys, and all the games and discussions I remember from my childhood revolved around Star Wars. It helped get me into all sorts of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I became one of the super fans, going to Conventions and collecting anything Sci-Fi related.

I became aware of a group called the 501st Legion, and their local NY chapter, the Empire City Garrison. They dressed up in movie accurate Star Wars outfits, mostly Stormtroopers, and went to Sci-Fi Conventions and charity events in costume; it was a Star Wars fans dream. Two years ago I purchased a Stormtrooper armor kit, it took me over 4 months to put it together, and gather the rest of the parts needed to create a movie accurate costume.

As soon as I completed it, I immediately enlisted in the 501st Legion, and the past two years with the group have been incredible. I have done events ranging from ComicCon, children's hospital visits, charity fundraisers, concerts, and even the Today Show. For me it is the culmination of 30 years of fandom, and the ultimate testament to enduring popularity and appeal of Star Wars.

Interesting. But is it needed to say "Star Wars character"? I mean, why dress up as any character? Robocop? Iron Man? Batman? Pokeman? Winnie the Pooh? A French maid? An early 1900s gentleman? Are the underlying reasons not all the same?

I understand your point, but I am thinking about people that dress up as Star Wars Characters, because of the effect Star Wars had in their lives. To grow up with the idea in mind, and yearn to be able to have your own part of that universe at the reach of your fingertips, and to be able to become a part of international groups as the 501st, or the Rebel Legion.

But yeah, I guess the motivation would be kind of the same to someone that dresses up as Batman, or Iron man, now, French maid, not sure, lol. I guess it would be interesting to learn why a person dresses up like Iron Man, perhaps he or she just loves costuming, or loves the art and talent it takes to make a costume like that, or perhaps they just like the characters y mentioned. I guess that in the end, the motivations are bound to be kind of similar.

CureMode:

Thanks a million, I am trying to find common ground on our motivations to do this, and it seems we are on the same page. This hobby opens quite a few opportunities to do things otherwise we might not be able to accomplish, it is like a personal achievement in some levels, but that allows us to share with others.

I appreciate both your comments.

Mostly 'cause it's fun, and for the love of the Star Wars franchise. :D

But in doing so, I've been able to serve the community in ways I hadn't thought possible, meet people (famous and not) I would've never met otherwise, and be a part of a global organization populated with some of the best people I've ever had the honor to associate with.

:)

For me it comes down to being such a huge fan that I wanted to make at least part of the saga come to life. Even to this day after being in the Legion for 2 years, and practically living on sites like this, I still geek out when I see the costumes. I love seeing the kids faces light up when they see us, and see the adults turn back into kids :)

Add to that, being part of a group that does so much good for the community, and it's a complete win-win.

I've been a Star Wars fan since that firsts Star Destroyer moved across the screen in 1977. I had the bed sheets (still do as a matter of fact); action figures; the Movie/Story LP (not the soundtrack, the actual dialog one) and I still wait for the pause in the music to turn over the record right after they say, "We're opening the magnetic field."; suppressed my Star Wars geekiness during college and graduate school, and now embrace it.

As for dressing up, it is all about the people I'm with, the kids faces and even the adults faces. I've met a great group of people through this organization, and I only wish I had found it earlier. Overall, I think these pictures sum it up nicely:

I want to be just like you.

th_DSCN2004-1.jpg

We're all kids at heart...

th_DSCN1953-1.jpg

It is a way to volunteer and serve my community and have fun doing it. Like tkresonva said, I have opportunities open that I wouldn't have otherwise, and get to do things I never thought I would.

I've always hated wearing costumes, cosplay, dressing up, and Halloween is my least favorite holiday. But when you wear armor you represent film history, a movie icon, a generation, hopes, dreams, another universe. You meet people and do things that you maybe never would have before. It's fun!

• 2 months later...

Mostly because I feel amazing when I'm rocking the white armor. Second, you can see the other peoples faces and make them happy! that's what I most love about costuming. Making myself and others happy!

I, before I didn't had a stormtrooper armor, If I suddenly saw a guy standing dressed as a Stormtrooper ( or any other star wars character) I'd get crazy and i'd like to take millions of pictures with him! So that's why I troop, because I just know people have the same feeling as I did back when I didn't rocked the white armor! biggrin.gif

Because the world looks better thru green tinted lens.

When I'm trooping I forget about all the rotten things going on in the world. The 2 minutes that I met a guy dressed up as Vader when I was about 5 years old is still in my memory 28 years later. Now i can do that for countless other kids. Who knows maybe one of those kids will get into costuming later and spread the love instead of manufacturing meth and spreading the sickness. Not to mention its a medically proven fact that chicks dig armor.

I like the smiles i bring to a child's face and their parent's reactions, the many charity’s that I have helped with because of the 501st and the love of 100% correct props :)

Not for me and my wife, we may dress up at con or for Halloween for ourselves, but anytime we put on the armor, it's for the kids. We only wear the clone or TK at charity events, or events that raise money for charity.

also, please post pics of your Winnie the Pooh costume :D