Sandeman's DLT-19 in Foam and PVC

I've decided I like BFGs. Who doesn't, right? But since a Hyperfirm is expensive and beyond my grasp, and the Cushman... I decided to make my own. I've seen many wooden MG34/DLT-19s, but I thought they'd be too heavy for trooping for long periods of time. Next best thing? Insulation foam! Got this 3/4" stuff at my local Home Depot. They also stock it in 2". Lowe's stocks 2" blue foam, FYI.

I downloaded the templates from here: MG-34 Blaster Rifle (print using Paint, and nothing else or the sizes will be all out of whack)

Using a Dremel with router attachment, I cut out the patterns. If you do this, wear a respirator, goggles and hearing protection. It sounds like someone pulling the ears off a gundark. Very loud:

DSC_0608.jpg

Here you can see one of the pieces of the gun, the stock, and a bit of an axe I made for my daughter.

DSC_0605.jpg

From left to right: the receiver (more or less), stock, grip. I laminated two receiver halves and two stock halves together:

DSC_0606.jpg

A top-down view:

DSC_0607.jpg

This shot was intended to show the installed PVC connectors for the barrel and the join between the receiver and the stock (for strength and shape), as well as the shaping. Then disaster struck. Someone (not my little Foamtrooper) thought it would be fun to swing the thing around. Not fun for me. :6:

DSC_0609.jpg

Luckily, I was able to repair the fissure using a number of dowels and a really long drill bit. I then painted the entire foam structure with Gesso, to seal the foam from harsh chemicals such as fiberglass resin and paint, and then began fiberglassing for strength. After laying down fiberglass (a step I would skip next time due to the added bulk) and sanding, I ended up using short-strand fiberglass filler to smooth out the gun. Great stuff; strong, light, easy to work with. Then came the detailing with hobby styrene and some "FOR SALE" signs, and some hobby greeblies. Sorry, I have no in-process pics since I inadvertently deleted them while trying to copy them to my computer.

Now, jump into your DeLorean and fast forward a month or two (life gets in the way of propmaking, right?)

Finally finished the BFG!

I'm about 80% satisfied with this first attempt. Lots of things I could have done better/differently, but the end result is above average in my opinion. I did end up leaving off some details, mostly because I'm sick of working on this thing! :D

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

And my bad parent/gunbroker.com pics (taken for size comparison and to show the light weight):

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

And the nostalgia pic from a 2009 troop (one year ago today):

IMG_2120.jpg

In the end, the actual cost for the BFG was around $30 or so. The only metal used are two nuts and a large eyelet.

Edited by Sandeman

I saw this today in person and I wish we had taken side by side pix of it next to my HF MG-34. It came out really well and very close to the HF. Clay is very talented (as you can see from his daughter's foam trooper) and this is just another nice example of what can be done with a little time and talent.

Well done Clay!! :)

:blush: Thanks Paul!

Steve - Gesso is a thick acrylic surface prep usually used for acrylic and oil paintings. It acts as a sealant and protects the foam from chemicals that could destroy/liquefy the foam such as most aerosol paints, most commercial fiberglass resins, and even E-6000. It can be found in art supply shops, and price makes no difference (i.e. cheap stuff works just as well as the expensive stuff).

:blush: Thanks Paul!

Steve - Gesso is a thick acrylic surface prep usually used for acrylic and oil paintings. It acts as a sealant and protects the foam from chemicals that could destroy/liquefy the foam such as most aerosol paints, most commercial fiberglass resins, and even E-6000. It can be found in art supply shops, and price makes no difference (i.e. cheap stuff works just as well as the expensive stuff).

Cool thanks for letting me know I will have to give it a try B)

• 1 month later...

So the in-laws are in town, and I wisely used my available time to work on the DLT - bringing her a little closer to what I had originally envisioned. A little airbrush action, a little styrene action, a little Dremel action, and a little home made T-track action resulted in this:

Before:

DSC_0008-1.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_0075.jpg

Before:

DSC_0009-2.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_0074.jpg

Improved muzzle and added front sight:

DSC_0078.jpg

Scratch T-track covered in PlastiDip for the beloved rubber look:

DSC_0077.jpg

Improved bi-pod feet, middle greeblie on barrel, and far more accurate mount:

DSC_0079.jpg

Flip-up rear sight that doesn't flip up:

DSC_0076.jpg

This brings the BFG up to maybe 95% on my satisfaction scale.

Clay

Truly outstnding work mate, that beauty looks frigging AMSOME!! B)

And little Princess Sophia is really growing up fast, but she'll always be the

cutestest Little Trooper EVER!! :D

LILTROOPER7.jpg

:)

Heh-heh, thanks Billy!

The little Princess told me I needed to make "ano'one" (another one) for her. Can one make a DLT-19 out of craft foam? I think that's a challenge!

Though she's outgrown the armor, there is another "Skywalker", so to speak. Baby brother is due this week! :D

Edited by Sandeman

• 4 months later...

I've received a number of inquiries as to whether I have the templates available, since the web page with the templates appears to be down. In short, YES!

These are NOT my templates. I just right-clicked and saved from the Empire Props website.

th_r2.jpg

th_measuremg8b.jpg

th_measuremg8a.jpg

th_measuremg7b.jpg

th_measuremg7a.jpg

th_measuremg5.jpg

th_measuremg4.jpg

th_measuremg2.jpg

th_barrel4.jpg

th_barrel3.jpg

th_barrel2.jpg

th_trig2.jpg

th_stock1.jpg

th_measuremg3.jpg

th_stock2.jpg

Right click and save. The files should be the correct size when printing. Remember, only print with Paint.

I THOUGHT so!

Are there patterns for it?

Great stuff. :duim:

Hehe, no. No patterns. I measured, made paper patterns, measured again, and finally cut the foam. Then just had fun putting it together! :D

Thanks Noel.

• 3 months later...

Hi Clay, I decided to follow this thread and try to build my DLT-19. one question here is:

How do you made the Bi-pod? also using foam??

Thanks lot~

• 2 weeks later...

JiKai,

I was just up in your neck of the woods this weekend! Rainy morning, sunny afternoon, all good.

I'll take some close-up pictures of the bi-pod and try to explain how I built it. I used a PVC "T" and some smaller gauge PVC pipe, plus some hobby styrene for the detail. Hopefully I can get the pics posted in the next few days.

GO CANUCKS!

Edited by Sandeman

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I've decided I like BFGs. Who doesn't, right? But since a Hyperfirm is expensive and beyond my grasp, and the Cushman... I decided to make my own. I've seen many wooden MG34/DLT-19s, but I thought they'd be too heavy for trooping for long periods of time. Next best thing? Insulation foam! Got this 3/4" stuff at my local Home Depot. They also stock it in 2". Lowe's stocks 2" blue foam, FYI.

I downloaded the templates from here: MG-34 Blaster Rifle (print using Paint, and nothing else or the sizes will be all out of whack)

Using a Dremel with router attachment, I cut out the patterns. If you do this, wear a respirator, goggles and hearing protection. It sounds like someone pulling the ears off a gundark. Very loud:

DSC_0608.jpg

Here you can see one of the pieces of the gun, the stock, and a bit of an axe I made for my daughter.

DSC_0605.jpg

From left to right: the receiver (more or less), stock, grip. I laminated two receiver halves and two stock halves together:

DSC_0606.jpg

A top-down view:

DSC_0607.jpg

This shot was intended to show the installed PVC connectors for the barrel and the join between the receiver and the stock (for strength and shape), as well as the shaping. Then disaster struck. Someone (not my little Foamtrooper) thought it would be fun to swing the thing around. Not fun for me. 6.gif

DSC_0609.jpg

Luckily, I was able to repair the fissure using a number of dowels and a really long drill bit. I then painted the entire foam structure with Gesso, to seal the foam from harsh chemicals such as fiberglass resin and paint, and then began fiberglassing for strength. After laying down fiberglass (a step I would skip next time due to the added bulk) and sanding, I ended up using short-strand fiberglass filler to smooth out the gun. Great stuff; strong, light, easy to work with. Then came the detailing with hobby styrene and some "FOR SALE" signs, and some hobby greeblies. Sorry, I have no in-process pics since I inadvertently deleted them while trying to copy them to my computer.

Now, jump into your DeLorean and fast forward a month or two (life gets in the way of propmaking, right?)

Finally finished the BFG!

I'm about 80% satisfied with this first attempt. Lots of things I could have done better/differently, but the end result is above average in my opinion. I did end up leaving off some details, mostly because I'm sick of working on this thing! biggrin.gif

DSC_0009-2.jpg

DSC_0008-1.jpg

And my bad parent/gunbroker.com pics (taken for size comparison and to show the light weight):

DSC_0010-2.jpg

DSC_0011-2.jpg

And the nostalgia pic from a 2009 troop (one year ago today):

IMG_2120.jpg

Parenting.. You are doing it right...

• 2 months later...