Basic tools needed for armour building

One of the many questions for wannabe stromtroopers is what tools are needed to actually build the set of armour so here is a visual guide to the minimum requirements in my view. Many people prefer different methods of building and to use other tools but these simple items will serve you well.

You only really need a few basic tools to build a set of stormtrooper armour and there is no need for access to a huge workshop either.

I have built many sets of armour in my living room using just these few basic tools.

You will need a pencil and steel rule for measuring and marking.

A sharp knife for cutting straight lines.

Curved trimming scissors for those more tricky curves.

Masking tape to hold things together while gluing.

A good glue as Velcro is so 1999.

Clamps to hold things together while the glue is drying, or you can just use the masking tape.

A drill for adding snaps and rivets to your armour.

Vario pliers for use on snaps.

And a good pop rivet gun.

Now get cutting, trimming, gluing and building :)

3527486w.jpg

43004.jpg

74013.jpg

dewalt_drill.jpg

e6000.jpg

HPI9084-450.jpg

image.jpg

pencil37.png

ruler.jpg

hp2.jpg

43004.jpg

• Like 2

I'm one of those guys who has an a--load of tools, but Mark's list pretty much sums up what I've used so far.

The only must-have I'd add is a few dozen disc-shaped rare earth magnets for holding the long seams closed while the E6000 is curing. :)

A great little starter kit there Mark but clamps are so 2007. Earth Magnets are the way to go these days

-------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to Hobby Lobby looking for the snap tool and jean rivets. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to choose from. Any advice on where to shop?

Edited by Evolver79

I went to Hobby Lobby looking for the snap tool and jean rivets. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to choose from. Any advice on where to shop?

Check your local cloth shops and the Tandy leather.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Check your local cloth shops and the Tandy leather.

Thank you. You've helped me alot so far, could I bother you with another question? I have a choice between a RT-Mod kit or a completed/painted 501st clone trooper kit. Which one? like the idea of being able to start asap, but at the same time I like the idea of something of my own. Mind giving an opinion?

Thank you. You've helped me alot so far, could I bother you with another question? I have a choice between a RT-Mod kit or a completed/painted 501st clone trooper kit. Which one? like the idea of being able to start asap, but at the same time I like the idea of something of my own. Mind giving an opinion?

Well, my opinion, it's always best to have a suit tailored for you. So getting a kit and starting from scratch is in my opinion the best way. I know wanting to stsrt ASAP is something that is immediately gratifying, but building your own suit gives you a feeling of accomplishemnt and you can show off your skills. If you are nervous or worried about messing up your build, you will have a lot of support from the FISD helping you along the way and I know there are members of your local garrison that will share their tips and help you. More than likely one or two of your local garrison will be more than happy to actually help in putting together your suit. It should be a snap.

The one thing that you have to look at is that you said that the Clone Trooper is completed and painted. Something that you need to consider, is whether the Clone Trooper suit works for your body frame or are you going to have to mod it for you? In the long run you may end up spending more time on the completed suit than you would starting fresh with the RT-Mod kit.

Hope my opinion helps.

Well, my opinion, it's always best to have a suit tailored for you. So getting a kit and starting from scratch is in my opinion the best way. I know wanting to stsrt ASAP is something that is immediately gratifying, but building your own suit gives you a feeling of accomplishemnt and you can show off your skills. If you are nervous or worried about messing up your build, you will have a lot of support from the FISD helping you along the way and I know there are members of your local garrison that will share their tips and help you. More than likely one or two of your local garrison will be more than happy to actually help in putting together your suit. It should be a snap.

The one thing that you have to look at is that you said that the Clone Trooper is completed and painted. Something that you need to consider, is whether the Clone Trooper suit works for your body frame or are you going to have to mod it for you? In the long run you may end up spending more time on the completed suit than you would starting fresh with the RT-Mod kit.

Hope my opinion helps.

The build does worry me, but I think I can do it. The scary thing is that if I screw something up, I can't run to the store for a new part. :D The other issue is that I haven't met anyone yet. I was hoping for this Sat but I think that may not be possible. It looks like Dragoncon will be my first opportunity. What garrison are you with? Whats life like for someone starting off? Is this normal so far?

ABS is pretty stout stuff and if you get a scrape, ding or even a little chip on it, there are ways of fixing and filling without anybody knowing that there was a problem. But, the one thing is, if you do by chance "chain saw" through something :blink: all of the armor makers do sell individual parts. But I don't think you will have that problem. :duim:

If you have put together model cars and planes at any point in your life, then this would be the same thing, but with white armor. :smiley-sw013:

It is normal to worry about spending money on something you might mess up. But as i said, you will have lots of support here on the FISD and from your local garrison. So just shake the nerves out, dive into probably the must fun you will have, assembling your armor.

The Georgia Garrison website states that they have 85 active members. If you haven't already contacted them, then give one of the command members listed below an email. Let them know you want to join, and your concerns about your build and find out if anyone would be willing to help you with it.

Also, ask them if you can help out at their next troop as a handler. That way you get to know some of them and see they costume up close...

CO: Kristen R Kuipers (RC 6247) email: krkconsult@bellsouth.net

XO: Darrell L Phillips (RC 6234) email: RCscorch62@gmail.com

GML: Jesse D Brown(TK 5090) email: jessebrown@charter.net

GWL: William A Smith(TK 332) email: tk332@hotmail.com

GPR: Jimmy Burns(TK 1025) email: jedireject@mindspring.com

GWM: Izzie Herman(SL 3474) email: madhorizons@gmail.com

GCR: Jason H Rutledge(SL 9218) email:jason_rutledge@yahoo.com

So! just shake the nerves out, dive into probably the must fun you will ever have, assembling your armor :dancing-trooper:

ABS is pretty stout stuff and if you get a scrape, ding or even a little chip on it, there are ways of fixing and filling without anybody knowing that there was a problem. But, the one thing is, if you do by chance "chain saw" through something :blink: all of the armor makers do sell individual parts. But I don't think you will have that problem. :duim:

If you have put together model cars and planes at any point in your life, then this would be the same thing, but with white armor. :smiley-sw013:

It is normal to worry about spending money on something you might mess up. But as i said, you will have lots of support here on the FISD and from your local garrison. So just shake the nerves out, dive into probably the must fun you will have, assembling your armor.

The Georgia Garrison website states that they have 85 active members. If you haven't already contacted them, then give one of the command members listed below an email. Let them know you want to join, and your concerns about your build and find out if anyone would be willing to help you with it.

Also, ask them if you can help out at their next troop as a handler. That way you get to know some of them and see they costume up close...

CO: Kristen R Kuipers (RC 6247) email: krkconsult@bellsouth.net

XO: Darrell L Phillips (RC 6234) email: RCscorch62@gmail.com

GML: Jesse D Brown(TK 5090) email: jessebrown@charter.net

GWL: William A Smith(TK 332) email: tk332@hotmail.com

GPR: Jimmy Burns(TK 1025) email: jedireject@mindspring.com

GWM: Izzie Herman(SL 3474) email: madhorizons@gmail.com

GCR: Jason H Rutledge(SL 9218) email:jason_rutledge@yahoo.com

So! just shake the nerves out, dive into probably the must fun you will ever have, assembling your armor :dancing-trooper:

I joined them before here. The handler is a great idea. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for some of these items and can't find them....

Snaps and rivets being one of them....

Vario pliers???

Hey Matt,

For vario pliers and Snaps, check your local cloth shops, the Tandy leather and Craft stores, like Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

For a Rivet gun, check the Hardware / Home improvement store.

I couldnt find the pliers locally either. But I was able to get a set from Ebay. Just search "Prym Vario Pliers" And youll see em. :) After that I also discovered a link in a tutorial here that lead me to an even better deal. Check this out!-------------

Snaps and all in one place. :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you guys I look forward to it.

Also, leather gloves for cutting with knives/scissors

Nearly took my finger off with a box cutter blade doing my shins!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I used a pair of Vario pliers off of eBay. They don't work well at all if you use them to set the whole snap.

I ended up half setting it with them, and then using the hammer and setting tool to softly finish it off without bending the post.

• 2 months later...

I'll be using these I found on Amazon.

---------

I'm guessing the snaps to use, are our preference?

I'm planning on getting the Dritz 5/8 Inch snaps.

Thanks,

Oscar

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

That's a solid starter kit, I have a ton of tools but there's a couple I use heaps in building.

Tin snips, I use an older style set, with the straight edged blades, rather than the aviation ones with the small teeth that are sold now.I find the one with slight curves are more useful than the straight ones.

Key files, you usually buy these cheaply as a small set, very handy for the fine work and those little burrs

Dremel- doesn't have to be an expensive one, but a decent dremel style tool with a good range of bits can make short work of a lot of tasks, just remember to test the bit and speed on an off cut to make sure that you have the right combination for the job.

Safety Glasses, for obvious reasons

Closed cell foam, like the stuff you buy in 10-12mm (1/2 inch) sheets for padding floors at camping stores, best stuff out for making small pads and the like, superglue sticks to it, velcro sticks to it, and it doesn't absorb sweat, so it doesn't end up all stinky after a few troops