My first build! Follow along![*AP]

snoberg

Hello folks! After years of aspiring to have a set of quality armor I have bit the bullet and am now hacking away at plastic with glee! Any input positive or negative would be greatly appreciated, since this is my first build I am sure I have a lot to learn!

For the basics, I am working with a new set of AP, all the pulls were great except for a little bump near one of my mic tip wells, though I believe this is a troublesome spot on most AP helmets as it is. Other than that I am going to try to use what I have learned, and maybe use some of my own ideas along the way.

SO! Here we go!

*a holy light emerges from the box*

IMAG0034

My workspace, already starting to fit the biceps.

IMAG0035

Test fitting both sides, I SHOULD mention that I am overlapping the pieces instead of using shims on the outside. I know this is not 100% movie accurate but if you see pictures of me you would see how scrawny I am :P I weighed my options quite a bit on that decision and I really could find no better way to reduce the size. Also, since my arms and legs are so small, I will be gluing them all together on both sides with the exception of the shins. Thoughts?

IMAG0036

Finished overlapping, I am going to clean up the inside seam with a bead of e-6000 when I get around to it.

IMAG0038

Another view.

IMAG0040

All polished up and ready for the next pieces!

IMAG0045

I wish I had a modeling iron to give the pieces a bit of a return, but that is something I can always go back to later I hope.

Edited by snoberg

OoOo thank you! I didn't think I would have the ability to directly post pics.

No worries, just copy the URL and use the "insert image" button or the funny square brackets: [/img]

Going ROTJ with it? It'll look killer.

There were little "bumps" on my mic tip area also but those are reference points, if I'm not mistaken, and that's where I drilled holes for the aerators. Any imperfections in the mold won't be very noticeable in that area. That's the weakest part of the helmet but can be easily reinforced - Pandatrooper has a good tutorial or you can use superglue and t-shirt.

Keep going on the body armor (I did the easy parts first). Rock on.

No... :( it is supposed to be ANH, I have just opted to overlap my arms for a better fit. I know I am prolly breaking a rule or two by doing that but... I want it to be comfortable first and foremost. I know it may hurt my acceptance, but I guess I'm taking the risk.

While not ANH/ESB accurate, overlapping the seams shouldn't hurt your acceptance at all. Same applies for both basic 501st acceptance and EIB. :)

That is a relief to hear! I am going to be taking a break from the build until Monday due to the holiday, but the bracers are nearly done, let me know what you think! Any feedback would be great, this is kinda like swimming in the deep end for the first time, lol.

This is how I have been lining up my cuts, I found that using a strip of tape keeps my eye on the line. The cut line on a lot of these pulls can be really feint.

4758653118_694dce6f6c.jpg

I think it does a pretty clean job.

4758652382_c6b6178080.jpg

All cut, pre-sanding.

4758653772_48d788db0d.jpg

Glue prep tape. This stuff gets everywhere easy... I like to tape up as much as I can before mixing the glue.

4758016253_a92bf47c01.jpg

In the death grip.

4758655254_848b577768.jpg

The next to pics show how I clean the edges up real good after the glue is tacky, but not fully set. I start with an xacto knife to get the big chunks then I carefully run a sturdy needle down the seam to give a really finished off appearence.

4758655956_795187b604.jpg

4758651750_ae3368f839.jpg

That is all for now, I will seeya guys next week and I will show ya the finished bracers and shoulder bells if everything goes well.

Arms are just about done, I'll have pics up soon. I have started to trim my torso and I have... you got it, a QUESTION!

I do plan to cut the butt plate off the torso, but does the front also get cut, or does that remain whole? I am going to leave it together for now until I hear the word. Thanks in advance!

Cutting the cod is completely optional. Some say it makes going #1 easier in that you don't have to suit all the way down - just drop the cod and let'er rip. :lol: Others say it doesn't really help much at all.

Either way, it's a personal choice.

My arms are on hold right now, I had a little trouble getting my last bracer together (came apart at the seam) so while that is resetting I thought I would show you my lower torso, I hope its pretty!

Tools of the trade, 3M scratch remover, lighter fluid (for when I am a n00b with epoxy :/), glossy white sealant caulk, 7 minute plastic epoxy, e-6000, CLAMPS!!!, blue tape for everything, knives, sandpaper, pliers, dremel, foam brush

4776317996_7d364cfc67.jpg

Ready for chopping up

4775681987_b4f5646ca5.jpg

SNAP

4776319188_c6dabf76c8.jpg

Front, all shaped and ready to go, I will do the button panels later

4776319736_7e9ffbc1cb.jpg

Chopping up the back

4776320348_94c4305f01.jpg

Oh noes, I need a butt!

4775684353_c968c9a05f.jpg

Whew...

4775684961_95da076537.jpg

The start of my connecting system consisting of industrial velcro sewn to 2" elastic

4775686253_428d4ef211.jpg

You can see where this is going

4776323916_bb0c03435e.jpg

All done, minus the crotch connector.

4775688505_d7621697a8.jpg

That is it for a couple days, I need a break, haha. I have a heavy duty suspender harness to work into the system, but it has locking claws on the end, not sure how nice that is going to play with the ABS, maybe clip them off and sew velcro onto them? FYI I am opposed to snaps, with the exception of the ones I may add later on for an EIB.

Any input would be lovely!

I just finished cutting up my upper torso, and I have some questions on the return of these two pieces. Here are some pictures of the upper and lower torso, I just want to make sure I have it right before I attach my webbing and elastic.

I have NOT done a final sanding on the edges yet so there may be minor imperfections still, I am just wondering if there is any major trimming to be done still. Thanks!

FRONT:

4787139511_5367ef3d17.jpg

4787143975_e67f93fa6d.jpg

4787773290_f68d7b36a5.jpg

4787774380_88277edba0.jpg

4787772298_9d66c737b3.jpg

BACK:

4787765574_60b087e2fb.jpg

4787767912_d8aa6d0b3a.jpg

4787769912_2f6304c3b7.jpg

4787768996_6b263c5ac9.jpg

4787766712_d209c35048.jpg

Okay I have run into a small issue. Here is the deal. I have been sanding my edges with 80, then with 180 grit sandpaper. This has left them smooth but when these roughened edges rub against my bodysuit, they have started to discolor the edges. I have found that it is doing this with just about anything it rubs against so I am guessing that the edges are still too porous or rough to be picking up fabric coloration like that.

How high should I take the grain on the edges to polish them off, and would wet sanding them to a finish help? Thanks in advance!

I think discolorization is quite normal, especially around places which are exposed to a lot of wear, i.e back of the knees, inner part of biceps etc. I don't know about others, but my armor has some black "stain marks" left from the black undersuit, but these are barery noticable when I troop.