Helmet sizes

I am looking to put a kit together but I am still missing a piece of info.

My question is in regard to Helmet size. I have searched the forums and found a lot of info about which helmets are bigger than others, but could not find anything that assured me that a certain helmet had a chance to fit on my head. When I wear a fitted hat, it is generally around 7 5/8 - 7 7/8, and I have never seen a moto helmet that was loose on my head.

So I am trying to figure out what helmet I am looking for without looking like a bobble head doll.

As of right now, price is a little more important to me than accuracy, but I don't want to look silly either, and I am not afraid of paint, or tools.

O4NiL22.jpg

h57aeu8.jpg

(sorry no white helmet pictures, but you get the idea)

FX helmet next to TE(style) helmet

big difference.

I just built an AP and i can barely fit my head in and out of it. My cap size is 7 1/8.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Youch! I'm assuming the FX is the large one?

So i guess AP is out of the question then.

If that is an FX Helmet, how well do helmets that size look on a 6'1" 200 lb frame? Does it scale well?

Edit: and thanks for your pics as well Jesse, I take it you have a similar sized head?

Edited by Exploderator

I'm 6'3" currently at 250lbs with a hat size of 7 3/8. I wear a A.N.H 2.5 lid and its trimmed out enough that I can actually maneuver my head in with glasses and a AKER head mic. It just takes a little adjustment but very doable.

w9AL0Q1.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

On 6/24/2010 at 4:08 AM, Exploderator said:

Youch! I'm assuming the FX is the large one?

So i guess AP is out of the question then.

If that is an FX Helmet, how well do helmets that size look on a 6'1" 200 lb frame? Does it scale well?

Edit: and thanks for your pics as well Jesse, I take it you have a similar sized head?

I have a large mellon, yes. :D The AP is a bit tight, but I did add a pretty thick coat of plastic resin on the inside (to make it thicker), so that gave me less room inside obviously. But the ATA is great, plus it's fairly cheap (in comparison), and looks great. Not sure how big the VT is, but it's also a good contender for the price. Anyhow, here's a build thread on------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I would say for most ANH derived helmets you'll find more variation in how they are assembled and the bottom cut out then in the kits. A bit ago I tried on sequentially two TE2's, an RT, and an AP. The 'smallest' and the 'largest' were both TE2's. A lot can also be what you put in it. I have a hard time putting my big noggin head in my friends TE2 that has a full up RomFx, fans, etc. but can easily put that same head in a different TE2 that has...um just some pads on the ears and top of head. :)

I am looking to put a kit together but I am still missing a piece of info.

My question is in regard to Helmet size. I have searched the forums and found a lot of info about which helmets are bigger than others, but could not find anything that assured me that a certain helmet had a chance to fit on my head. When I wear a fitted hat, it is generally around 7 5/8 - 7 7/8, and I have never seen a moto helmet that was loose on my head.

So I am trying to figure out what helmet I am looking for without looking like a bobble head doll.

As of right now, price is a little more important to me than accuracy, but I don't want to look silly either, and I am not afraid of paint, or tools.

I think you are about the same size as me. I'm able to wear most helmets, although I wear glasses I have to take them off to fit into the helmet. It's a snug fit, but not uncomfortable. Also, like others have said you can adjust the fit with the construction and placement of padding.

From what I have owned...

Largest to smallest.

FX

ANH V2

TE2

TM (not the same however, undercut far deeper, harder to get on)

CAP/ ATA

TE

MRCE

AP

Like the Boss basically said, assembly is the key. Almost any helmet can be assembled to have a larger opening and possibly more room inside. Its all about the faceplate placement. That doesn't mean it has to be a low brow either. I first built an AP before I knew anything. I didn't know that I could adjust the build to fit me. It was like medieval torture to put it on and take it off!... and that was with trimming the opening larger! I'm not even going to mention what it was like inside....

I compared a VT I had to my ATA and AP. The VT mold size is definitely smaller than the ATA and appeared smaller than the AP!

First, follow Nate's list - that is based off the actual mold sizes. The bigger / taller you are the more you want to stay at the top of the list (minus the FX of course and the ANH V2 is one piece, so you can't do much with it). Second, before building do some mock ups with tape to hold the parts in place and try it on. Worked for me!

My list is based on putting it on my head. I based my comps on ease of wear and overall size.

The CAP was not bigger than the ATA. They are very close to the same size. I owned or own ones built by the makers themselves. Not looking for a war on this.. as this is could head the wrong direction for some will staunchly claim what they will on this particular two helmets. Build has things to do with it, but not that much unless you botch it. Not interested in a non objective fight on these two helmets.

We are not talking about huge amounts of shrink or size for that matter. What stands out is TE2 and AP. TE2 is the largest TE line helmet I have owned by far. I hope to own a Gino soon and then I will know on that as well. The AP the smallest by far. Very hard to get my 7 1/4 head into. Everything else (save for the ANHV2) is about the same, only slight changes.

There are pics that show huge differences, but I cry foul on some of them. Perspective is a subjective thing some times. I have held them and trooped in them.

The TM is very large on the inside and a small opening. The undercut, (Chin) is deeper and I think looks great. This does hinder in and out a tad as you really have to turn the helmet sideways.