EIB Requirement Clarity - Button on Right Side of Torso

Hey all,

I'm almost done with my AM armor build, and since I'm building it with EIB status in mind, I need some trooper help/clarity:

The EIB requirements are very clear about what to add to the left side of the torso (e.g., "rivets on the left side of the ab/kidney plates"), but I've seen lots of troopers with a button of some sort on the right side of their ab plate (see picture below).

TK-RightSide.jpg

Two questions:

1) What is this button? Is it a rivet, a snap or something else?

2) I'm pretty certain that it isn't mandatory for EIB status, but is it mentioned anywhere in the EIB requirements? I've checked the updated list, but don't see anything mentioning it.

I know it's a small detail, but I figured I'd ask in hopes that someone can help. Please sound off so this soon-to-be TK can put his mind at ease. :)

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's required. It's the back of a male snap. You can use a Tandy line 24 snap. You can see it when Han is in the TK disguise in the control room "Everything is under control, situation normal" scene.

Most people shooting for EIB probably think "If I'm gonna add the rivets on the left, why not add the snap on the right as well?". Not a requirement, but easy and even more screen accurate.

I have that thingie installed as well BTW. It even has a function. ;)

Thanks for the help fellas! Just added it (see pics below).

Now just need to find out about correct rivet size for the left side as well and I'll be ready to get these EIB pics ready. Anyone know what's considered screen accurate (see thread link below):

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11638

Here's a couple of pics on my handywork on the right snap button...

Right Ab Plate Snap

IMG_0248.jpg

Close Up of Right Ab Plate Snap

IMG_0249.jpg

Edited by Storm_Knight1

• 3 weeks later...

We really should call out the size of these fasteners in the EIB for recommendations. As noted they are suggested but not required this year.

Approx. 15mm snap for the single right side of torso.

Approx. 9mm for the set of six split rivets on the left side of torso.

Edited by firebladejedi

can you give the brand and type of rivet as screen used mark?

That would be difficult because you can see different ones in different screen captures or archive reference. For the most part, it looks like they are not typical pop rivets (though many of us use them), but more likely a cap rivet or jean rivet. I think I had even posted what a thought was a good match some time ago for the ones with the star imprint that show up on some reference. But if someone is going to have a good idea, I'd say Mark or Paul/TM would be able to venture a pretty good guess.

Edited by Madmartigan

well..

the brand and type used is what I'm interested in

just as Joe wants to know... we all want to know the exact rivet to use, and the exact snap..

ect...

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

If you want the brand names you better get building a tardis...

The 6 side rivets are not pop rivets they are split rivets and look like this, as I have been saying for the last two years...

DSCF3539.jpg

The single snap is just that. 15mm seems to be the right size visually, try some out to see what you like. It's the backend of the male part.

DSCF3535.jpg

You will also want male snaps directly through the front torso to hold up the belt and split rivets and snaps though the crotch if your going for accuracy.

DSCF3536.jpg

All this info is here at fisd ad nausium if you keep up or do a little searching.

Ah...split rivets. That's the term I was looking for. :D

And here are the ones:

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Jean-rivet/p/sm/1016403128.htm

...that look most like the "star" impressed split rivets seen in this photo (at least that I've been able to find):

anhtk002.jpg

...if you were trying to replicate that particular suit. But for the most part, the split rivets are what you'd want.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be awkward....

Back in 1977 Britain didn`t have much metric stuff .. the snaps/rivets etc used at the prop dept would have been 3/16 5/32 1/4 etc etc inch sizes .

For you American builders I would have thought this was still the case ? Or do you have metric stuff now ?