Painted TE2 helmet and AP armor...bad or good?

I Love my new TE2 Sandy helmet so much, ive been thinking of getting a second one for my TK. Has anyone painted a TE2 helmet and used it with AP armor? How off is the color? If anyone has pics, that would be great! i know its not going to match but if its not too bad, id consider it. I realize this is similar to a question i asked recently about a TM helmet and AP armor...i ended up not being able to grab a TM due to $$..oh well. Thanks Troopers!

Looks great at first but the paint will yellow faster than the ABS. I've got a painted TE2 with GF. My GF is pristine white and its 9 years old. My painted TE2 is 2 years old and there is a striking difference in color. But GF plastic is different than AP's. I have AP drop boxes that are a year old and they are already showing slight signs of yellowing. Not as yellow as the paint on my TE2 but not as white as the GF parts. Think later down the line. Different armors yellow at different rates. Also the color difference is screen accurate. Personally for trooping armor I think it looks better not to mix ABS and Painted HIPS. Head to toe one or the other makes for a better 501st image in my opinion.

On 6/20/2010 at 11:27 AM, TK-4510 said:

I have done that. TE2 with AP armor and it looked OK :)

Same here. Painted properly, there is little difference.

qy8EerH.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for the pics guys! It does look good to me!

Smitty, thanks for your input as well. Makes alot of sence. I've had my AP for 2 yrs and luckily, so far it doesnt show any signs of yellowing. Ive also painted alot of items white that have been kept outside alot and not yellowed in over 3yrs. Not sure if the HIPS would make any difference there though. The paint type may also factor in, as well as Location/climate. I guess its hard to say as an exact science. Also i have 2 (and will eventually have 4) other suits i use so the daylight contact would be less than if i only had a TK. All that being said,i appreciate that input and its something to be aware of. thanks bro.

Edited by Darth Voorhees

Take into account as well that I smoke and that is definitely a factor. I figured the body armor would at least be showing a hint of yellow by now but its like its totally immune to yellow. In broad daylight you can't tell a difference between the helmet and the armor but it shows up quite prominently under flourescent lighting.