Cod piece:To cut or not to cut, that is the question!

On an FX kit or similar i would say cut it to give more flexiblilty so you can take part in more tricky activities such as abseiling..

But on a more accurate kit i would say leave it as you will loose the right look, i dont have my cod cut and i can move around in armour pretty easily..

2yHikHg.jpg

Personally, I cut the cod on my last 3 kits and have it attached with snap plates / elastic. Makes bio breaks much easier and mobility is easier for me (I have a short torso, so I cut the cod and remove an inch of plastic below the cut line).

Just personal preference really. I don't find that it affects the look much myself unless you're bending all the time.

Personally, I cut the cod on my last 3 kits and have it attached with snap plates / elastic. Makes bio breaks much easier and mobility is easier for me (I have a short torso, so I cut the cod and remove an inch of plastic below the cut line).

Just personal preference really. I don't find that it affects the look much myself unless you're bending all the time.

I always forget (yet I know) that you cut yours! And yeah, on yours it doesn't change the look at all. But I've seen some really badly done ones too. :blink:

On 6/17/2010 at 4:17 AM, firebladejedi said:

On an FX kit or similar i would say cut it to give more flexiblilty so you can take part in more tricky activities such as abseiling..

But on a more accurate kit i would say leave it as you will loose the right look, i dont have my cod cut and i can move around in armour pretty easily..

This picture cracks me up. I'm actually debating on whether or not I should cut my cod piece or not either on my AM kit. I might try trooping with it uncut first to see how things go. If I find myself needing to bend over a lot for whatever reason, I'll cut it.

I prefer to leave mine uncut. Perhaps at 6'0" I find no benefit to cutting it. And yes, I've worn it both cut and uncut...

• 3 months later...

Man I love the search button, I almost posted this same question!

I'm in the middle of my AM build, first ever set of armor. I have a friend who LOVES the fact his armor is not cut. I, however, do not want to have to take off half my armor just to take a leak.

I bought one of those canvas belts that should hopefully hid a cut cod piece pretty easily. I guess I just wanted to get more thoughts from everyone on this.

Man I love the search button, I almost posted this same question!

I'm in the middle of my AM build, first ever set of armor. I have a friend who LOVES the fact his armor is not cut. I, however, do not want to have to take off half my armor just to take a leak.

I bought one of those canvas belts that should hopefully hid a cut cod piece pretty easily. I guess I just wanted to get more thoughts from everyone on this.

I have since cut, and "resealed" mine.

Cutting it gave me more problems than I would've liked. Like it would fall off one side, etc.

Honestly, in all the troops I've ever done having to go to the bathroom really badly happened once. So, for me, the cod is staying uncut from now on.

• Like 1

I have since cut, and "resealed" mine.

Cutting it gave me more problems than I would've liked. Like it would fall off one side, etc.

Honestly, in all the troops I've ever done having to go to the bathroom really badly happened once. So, for me, the cod is staying uncut from now on.

I'll probably go ahead and wait, troop in it a few times and then decide if I should keep it or cut it. Probably best to do that then cut it and regret it.

At our last event i was standing and walking from noon to 4 o'clock and fortunatly my cod was cut and i was the only trooper to be able to sit on a chair at our booth every once in a while. You guys can stand ,i'll sit. I love my cut cod!!! :P

I am 5'6 and building the AM kit too and followed Panda's lead and cut mine as well and tucked the excess plastic into the ab plate. I found a day and night difference in mobility.

I have the AM kit as well and find the codpiece way too low. I may use this method. Have any photos for the inside?

On 10/2/2010 at 2:18 AM, bluehickey said:

Here is how I cut mine:

------------

I did the same thing but I only did the one cut but did not remove the excess plastic, I just tucked it behind the ab peice.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 4 years later...

Im going to revive this and ask the same question. TO CUT OR NOT TO CUT?!?!?!

I have an AP suit which I have just completed. Waiting for basic approval and obviously haven't trooped yet. Been fully suited up about 6 or 7 times now for about 30-40 mins at a time just walking around, climbing stairs etc. 

I guess I can move around enough, but I would love to be able to bend down...even a little. 

Wondering if its a 50/50 choice with most troopers, and also will it effect me in eventually gaining centurion status. 

Im 5'10" or thereabouts and around 170 pounds (77kgs).

Any insight will be muchly appreciated!

Cheers!

Deep inside I really wanna do it, but I just wanna make sure I don't ruin it by doing so. 

Buy a second one and give it a go. The reality is that some love it, some hate it. I did it on my first suit and regretted it ever since, and have kept my ab plate intact on my subsequent 3 suits. Other people swear it's the best thing they did.

The best part is if you do it and hate it, you can simply buy a new ab plate, or try to glue the one you have back together.

You'll never know until you try.