Jump to content

The various types of armor and where to find them


Recommended Posts

I concur with the building your own, for a couple reasons!  I built my own (Anovos) and had no idea what I was doing, but with the help of the threads here and a couple friends, I built an awesome kit!

1)  You're going to want the kit to fit you pretty well, and no matter what dimensions you send them, the possibility of not fitting correctly is there.  I bought an already done kit for my first suit and while the guy who sold it to me and I seemed about the same size, we were not the same in a lot of areas and rather than try to take it apart and re-fit it, I just bought a second kit unassembled and it was what I should have done from the beginning.

2)  It's intimidating, but really not that hard.  The hardest part, and where I needed some help was sizing my thighs (since I needed a second person to help me), but other than that, most everything else went pretty smoothly, making sure I followed other builds here on the forum!  

It really is an awesome accomplishment to put on a kit you built yourself!  :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everybody, just out of curiosity, what's the rough range of general measurements that the Stormtrooper armor was made to fit for? (Height, weight, bicep, forearm, thigh measurements etc). What's the point where it may look different and too large when compared to on screen armor?

 

It's coming from RS if that matters. 

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2020 at 12:21 PM, ExpertAmateur said:

Hi everybody, just out of curiosity, what's the rough range of general measurements that the Stormtrooper armor was made to fit for? (Height, weight, bicep, forearm, thigh measurements etc). What's the point where it may look different and too large when compared to on screen armor?

 

It's coming from RS if that matters. 

 

Troopers come in all shapes and sizes, Brandon.  I have seen everything from 5'4 to 6' 5, and from 102 to over 250 lbs.  We don't judge on size... it all comes down to how the armor fits you personally.  From what I've read, George Lucas "preferred" the Troopers be about 5'10 and 165 pounds, but that didn't work out, lol.  All that matters is that it meets the Basic requirements as listed in the CRL (link here).

 

                            raGjsHm.jpg?1

 

                       cQnmfbE.jpg?1

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

 

Troopers come in all shapes and sizes, Brandon.  I have seen everything from 5'4 to 6' 5, and from 102 to over 250 lbs.  We don't judge on size... it all comes down to how the armor fits you personally.  From what I've read, George Lucas "preferred" the Troopers be about 5'10 and 165 pounds, but that didn't work out, lol.  All that matters is that it meets the Basic requirements as listed in the CRL (link here).

 

                            raGjsHm.jpg?1

 

                       cQnmfbE.jpg?1

That's true, thanks. What's the story behind Lucas' preferred sizing not working out? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget TK-Big.  Huge person who ended up sculpting his own armor.  Man, wish I could find the old thread in the interwebs, it was pretty impressive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ExpertAmateur said:

That's true, thanks. What's the story behind Lucas' preferred sizing not working out? 

 

They sculpted the armor for someone about 5'10" and like 150lbs or something because that was a common size for the British folk who did the part.  I don't think Lucas had any input in to that.  You can read about it in Brian Muir's excellent book, as well as The Making of Star Wars by Rinzler.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cheeseballs said:

Hey, I've heard good things about MTK on eBay, but why aren't they here on the list?


Long story short, MTK is based off of CAP and there is a long story about who had the rights to cast their kit off of CAP. The info is that MTK did not have those rights so that is why it won’t be added to the list. I fought for it years ago but was not able to get it added. However, the kit is very nice and well worth the price. So if you are interested in it then don’t hesitate to buy it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Cheeseballs said:

Thanks! But also what is the story behind CAP? I've seen it referenced everywhere but never the actual story.

This thread has some info

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Has anyone heard of Tupperware TK armor?  I am commissioned to build this for someone and have some concerns about the accuracy of the armor.  Plus it seems to be really big.

 

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrookKnight said:

Has anyone heard of Tupperware TK armor?  I am commissioned to build this for someone and have some concerns about the accuracy of the armor.  Plus it seems to be really big.

 

Thank you.


News to me, but I guess if you pour Jello mix into a chest plate and let it chill then serve, technically it would be like Tupperware :laugh1:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He used to be a reseller of AM armor.  That is the last info I had from a few years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Daetrin said:

He used to be a reseller of AM armor.  That is the last info I had from a few years ago.

It is pretty large.  The accuracy of the ab plate is a concern, as well as the TD is completely wrong, the ammo belt needs replacing, and the legs are cut weird in the back.  The customer wants me to build it to meet 501st basic approval standards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ukswrath said:


News to me, but I guess if you pour Jello mix into a chest plate and let it chill then serve, technically it would be like Tupperware :laugh1:

Nice...:laugh1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Troopers, 

 

Been a long time trying to get my build off the ground, and I'm finally pulling to trigger on my ANH stunt build. I wanted to see if I could get some advice on my build. A friend of mine gave me an untrimmed MTK ABS Plastic and have no idea how to proceed, or even if what I was given meets 501st requirements. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thetrooperfez said:

Hello Troopers, 

 

Been a long time trying to get my build off the ground, and I'm finally pulling to trigger on my ANH stunt build. I wanted to see if I could get some advice on my build. A friend of mine gave me an untrimmed MTK ABS Plastic and have no idea how to proceed, or even if what I was given meets 501st requirements. Would appreciate any help. Thanks


Well if you were given a new set of MTK armor then the armor itself is just fine. Now it will come down to how you build it and how the final product looks. The best thing I can tell you is to look through some of the build threads. Study some of them. Then you should start your own. Also, there are some build Videos on trooperbay.com you can look at. Also some videos on YouTube with our friend CableGuy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2021 at 9:58 AM, thetrooperfez said:

Hello Troopers, 

 

Been a long time trying to get my build off the ground, and I'm finally pulling to trigger on my ANH stunt build. I wanted to see if I could get some advice on my build. A friend of mine gave me an untrimmed MTK ABS Plastic and have no idea how to proceed, or even if what I was given meets 501st requirements. Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Welcome aboard Chris!

I have a MTK kit that I built to ESB / Expert Infantry level. So it's really not a matter of can the MTK meet 501st requirements but more what your goals are. For basic, it should be straight forward. For higher levels just visit the respective pages to see what you need to do the get there. 

I recommend shoot higher, it isn't that much more effort and since you will be representing both the 501st and FISD as well as yourself - go for it!

Here is my build thread from many moons ago but much of it still applies. 

TK24336 ESB Build https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26919-my-first-esb-tk-build-mtk

Edited by toybiz
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, hogndog09@gmail.com said:

hello all,

 i am looking to post my pics for pre approval. i went with a full commission from RS Propmasters. hope i get approved.. is this the place to show them?

Here you go

Request TK Pre-Approval - 1st Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment (whitearmor.net)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@Daetrin Could you please update the original post of this thread to show that RWA now produce all of their armour pieces in XL / Big Boy sizes for tall / large OTTK  (and TD / TX) costumers. Their YouTube channel has videos describing the size differences for the different sections.

 

XL Thighs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLyH1nb4fPQ

                - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVRn2tAvoig

XL Shoulder bells - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySuQk4DI-Q

XL Torso parts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4W5GQZ-opQ

XL Kidney Section - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOo-aTzPJhY

 

No videos on his channel yet for the forearm, bicep or shin.

 

ta,

Rich

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...