Jump to content

The various types of armor and where to find them


Recommended Posts

I think I might going to hold off on making an FOTK, I don't see many other builders listed other than one person, i'd like to browse my options and see what's available.

I'm most likely am going to lean towards the Empire style instead of First Order for now.

Though I do have questions, I saw this video. at 9:34 he shares his opinion on Anovos vs RS Props armor kit

So Anovos has more details, looks shiny and crisp. but RS Props is more screen accurate, even though it's not as crisp or looks as finished.

Anovos isn't listed under vetted vendors however, and RS Props is. I don't quite understand why is that the case?

How about ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) how does that fare in comparison to these kits? What armor set has the most bang for your buck? Would ATA be the best for the majority of people in terms of cost to quality product ratio? Or would it be better to spend a few hundred more for the RSPropStudios version?

Would it be better to buy a completed kit that includes soft goods than to buy each item individually?

ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) goes for $540 for helmet and armor kit
https://www.facebook.com/ATA.Armor

RSPropMasters goes for $850 for helmet and armor kit; $1450 For completed armor and helmet + soft goods
https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/stormtrooper/stormtrooper-suits/stormtrooper-self-build/
https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/stormtrooper/stormtrooper-suits/stormtrooper-fully-finished-kit/

Anovos goes for $900 for helmet and armor kit (Currently not in stock); $1950 For completed armor and helmet + soft goods
https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-imperial-stormtrooper
https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-assembled

 

Edited by ArcaneRaver23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ArcaneRaver23 said:

Anovos isn't listed under vetted vendors however, and RS Props is. I don't quite understand why is that the case?

To put it simple: RS delivers in weeks and Anovos delays for years.

 

10 minutes ago, ArcaneRaver23 said:

How about ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) how does that fare in comparison to these kits? What armor set has the most bang for your buck? Would ATA be the best for the majority of people in terms of cost to quality product ratio? Or would it be better to spend a few hundred more for the RSPropStudios version?

Depends on your liking but in my opinion, yes, RS is screen accurate to the bones. Anovos is a cleaned up version. 

12 minutes ago, ArcaneRaver23 said:

Would it be better to buy a completed kit that includes soft goods than to buy each item individually?

I would buy it in Kit form from RS or TM (Troopermaster) Soft goods are easily sourced on it´s own.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I might going to hold off on making an FOTK, I don't see many other builders listed other than one person, i'd like to browse my options and see what's available.

I'm most likely am going to lean towards the Empire style instead of First Order for now.

Though I do have questions, I saw this video. at 9:34 he shares his opinion on Anovos vs RS Props armor kit

So Anovos has more details, looks shiny and crisp. but RS Props is more screen accurate, even though it's not as crisp or looks as finished.

Anovos isn't listed under vetted vendors however, and RS Props is. I don't quite understand why is that the case?

How about ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) how does that fare in comparison to these kits? What armor set has the most bang for your buck? Would ATA be the best for the majority of people in terms of cost to quality product ratio? Or would it be better to spend a few hundred more for the RSPropStudios version?

Would it be better to buy a completed kit that includes soft goods than to buy each item individually?

ATA (Affordable Trooper Armor) goes for $540 for helmet and armor kit
https://www.facebook.com/ATA.Armor

RSPropMasters goes for $850 for helmet and armor kit; $1450 For completed armor and helmet + soft goods
https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/stormtrooper/stormtrooper-suits/stormtrooper-self-build/
https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/stormtrooper/stormtrooper-suits/stormtrooper-fully-finished-kit/

Anovos goes for $900 for helmet and armor kit (Currently not in stock); $1950 For completed armor and helmet + soft goods
https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-imperial-stormtrooper
https://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-assembled
 

Hiya,

In my eyes, Anovos vs RS, RS would win hands down for me. Not only is it almost impossible to get any products out of Anovos, (apparently), anovos is also quite digitised. Many areas of the kit are TOO sharp compared with screen used. With so many good kits available now, such as RS and TM, those would be starting points if I were looking for a new kit. :-)

Best wishes
Dan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can afford RS I'd go for that being it's one, if not the most accurate ANH kit available.

Anovos delivery is spotty and unpredictable at best and the details have already been discussed above.

ATA detail is not at accurate or sharp as RS but it's half the price. I own a set and love it.

 

 

Edited by ukswrath
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/28/2019 at 4:14 AM, ArcaneRaver23 said:

Having a hard time choosing between ATA or RS, not sure if the extra $300 is worth the plunge, aren't the kits similar when finished?

Also check out this video from RS props, looks pretty neat, 

 

I have ATA ANH  , it's light and have thick ABS

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/27/2019 at 5:14 PM, ArcaneRaver23 said:

Having a hard time choosing between ATA or RS, not sure if the extra $300 is worth the plunge, aren't the kits similar when finished?

 

Both are pretty awesome.  The RS has some extra details and is very crisp, so if you're a perfectionist in accuracy it may be worth the extra $300.  I've seen both up close and either will serve you well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would also agree on the RS front if it's accuracy you are after, but as mentioned the ATA is a little friendlier on the pocket.

As to Anovos, we have a few in my garrison and all are cracking quite badly on the chest and butt plates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my two cents here but I have had a WTF (Walt’s Trooper Factory) for the past three years and it has held up great. The pricing is pretty decent and his turn around times and customer service are fantastic. Also the details are good on mine and they have only gotten better in the past three years. I’m 5’9” and about 165 lbs and there was plenty to work with. I believe he now also has some options for folks that are bigger than me in the legs and arms department.

 

 

Jim Moser

TK50899

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sly11 said:

I would also agree on the RS front if it's accuracy you are after, but as mentioned the ATA is a little friendlier on the pocket.

As to Anovos, we have a few in my garrison and all are cracking quite badly on the chest and butt plates.

I've worn my Anovos to at least a dozen times and haven't had any issues other than some minor scuffs that clean off pretty easily...  I am usually pretty easy on my costumes in general though, so maybe that has something to do with it...  I know Anovos gets a bad wrap (which it should, in most cases), but mine's actually held up pretty well since putting it together!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, iceknyght said:

I've worn my Anovos to at least a dozen times and haven't had any issues other than some minor scuffs that clean off pretty easily...  I am usually pretty easy on my costumes in general though, so maybe that has something to do with it...  I know Anovos gets a bad wrap (which it should, in most cases), but mine's actually held up pretty well since putting it together!

Count yourself as lucky!  And I'm happy at least someone isn't having major issues.  I would venture a guess as to you got one of their earlier kits?  I've found their first/second waves were better than their stuff produced after that.  Though throughout their quality control has been much like their shipping department: a monkey throwing a dart at a map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, sharkbait said:

Count yourself as lucky!  And I'm happy at least someone isn't having major issues.  I would venture a guess as to you got one of their earlier kits?  I've found their first/second waves were better than their stuff produced after that.  Though throughout their quality control has been much like their shipping department: a monkey throwing a dart at a map.

LOL!  I am actually not sure which version I have, since I got it second hand and I am not sure how long he had it before I got it...  It's definitely earlier than 2017, cause that's when I bought it, but it sounded like he had it for a while as well, cause he *started* to work on it and put it back in the box...  But I do consider myself lucky, based on some of the horror stories I have heard!
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

It’s been a long time but got my suit. Doing mods. Got lots done. But I made a boo boo on the holster but fixable. It looks really good . Did a few walking around outside. Man it’s weird. But sooooo cool . But with some mods it’s fitting way better. Working on the thighs. A bit big as someone pointed out . It’s a head tuner 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JFarwell said:

It’s been a long time but got my suit. Doing mods. Got lots done. But I made a boo boo on the holster but fixable. It looks really good . Did a few walking around outside. Man it’s weird. But sooooo cool . But with some mods it’s fitting way better. Working on the thighs. A bit big as someone pointed out . It’s a head tuner 

Maybe your stormtrooper has some extended universe background of doing squats?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

My son, when he was 12, saw storm troopers at a St Jude event.  He said then that when he turned 18 he wanted to join the 501st and has been determined to do so ever since.  As we approach his 18th we would like to get him started.  

 
He is most interested in a Captain Fox phase two or Kix phase two (I think both of these are clone troopers?)
 
I am looking for a helmet kit to get him started (gotta teach him to work and earn the rest too!).  Would love to get it for him as a way to encourage him being a charitable adult and also to give him something star wars which he loves.  Advise needed.  Help needed.  Place to order needed.  I have read a lot of this thread and sent emails to several, but have not come up with a solution for these two specific characters as of yet. Thanks in advance!  
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Fafnerd said:

My son, when he was 12, saw storm troopers at a St Jude event.  He said then that when he turned 18 he wanted to join the 501st and has been determined to do so ever since.  As we approach his 18th we would like to get him started.  

 
He is most interested in a Captain Fox phase two or Kix phase two (I think both of these are clone troopers?)
 
I am looking for a helmet kit to get him started (gotta teach him to work and earn the rest too!).  Would love to get it for him as a way to encourage him being a charitable adult and also to give him something star wars which he loves.  Advise needed.  Help needed.  Place to order needed.  I have read a lot of this thread and sent emails to several, but have not come up with a solution for these two specific characters as of yet. Thanks in advance!  

Hello Jerry and welcome, for clone trooper info head here https://501stclonetroopers.com/forum/index.php?/login/

 

Best of luck with the research, hope to see your son in the ranks soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Holy Hell...I am total newb. Yesterday morning I decided to "quickly look" at some newbie research on this forum and my local 501st...and, well, I am actually not 100% sure that I have left my computer since then. So much for a "quick look." :)  What a glorious rabbit hole I've found. Thanks to everyone for the information they have shared.

Edited by LoneSentry
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LoneSentry said:

Holy Hell...I am total newb. Yesterday morning I decided to "quickly look" at some newbie research on this forum and my local 501st...and, well, I am actually not 100% sure that I have left my computer since then. So much for a "quick look." :)  What a glorious rabbit hole I've found. Thanks to everyone for the information they have shared.

Thanks! That is the best compliment I can get. :) The main reason I started FISD back in 2006 is because there was complete lack of transparency around armor in the 501st at the time, and it wasn't uncommon for new members to be led astray to bad recast armor, or only to find that once in the 501st people would tell them where to get the good stuff (by which point you had already plunked down $1500 on armor from eBay).

 

Providing current and prospective members with accurate information so they can make informed choices has always been our mission, so I'm glad to hear we are still achieving that 14 years later :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LoneSentry said:

Holy Hell...I am total newb. Yesterday morning I decided to "quickly look" at some newbie research on this forum and my local 501st...and, well, I am actually not 100% sure that I have left my computer since then. So much for a "quick look." :)  What a glorious rabbit hole I've found. Thanks to everyone for the information they have shared.

Welcome back, Chris!  I can see it's been a few years since your first post here, but always feel free to ask anything you need to.  We are here to help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome back, Chris!  I can see it's been a few years since your first post here, but always feel free to ask anything you need to.  We are here to help!

Yup! I had signed-up here some time ago. I am also a WWII reenactor, and shortly after joining FISD, my WWII group split, and I unexpectedly had to divert a lot time / funds starting a totally new unit with a friend. With that my TK project ended up on the back burner, but it was always simmering. It has finally boiled over. :)

Edited by LoneSentry
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, LoneSentry said:

Yup! I had signed-up here some time ago. I am also a WWII reenactor, and shortly after joining FISD, my WWII group split, and I unexpectedly had to divert a lot time / funds starting a totally new unit with a friend. With that my TK project ended up on the back burner, but it was always simmering. It has finally boiled over. :)

lol, better late than never. Looking forward to your build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newb chiming-in again. So, FISD has really ruined my life over the last week...but in a good (great?) way (I'm spending all my free time reading stuff). I finally finished reading all 54 pages of this thread, and it was really, really, really helpful. Not only did it provide great info, but it also made me aware of questions I didn't even know I had yet (most of which where answered a post or two later). I still haven't decided on the exact vendor I'm going with, but have certainly narrowed it down a bit. I also have a new favorite pass-time of going through the photos in the Centurion Status Request sub-forum to see what details I can spot (and more importantly miss) that lend itself to a top-shelf build (that is the level I am aiming for). I am sure I will have some questions going forward, but am doing my best to do as much research on my own before asking (personally, it's part of the fun, and I'm learning so much other stuff in the process). In any event, a huge thanks to everyone...clearly a great community here, and I can wait to become more immersed in it. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey everyone, been lurking on and off since 2013 and finally have some budget to build the stormtrooper costume.

would need some advise, im about 170cm and 90kg so that's kinda short and round, which maker armor would better suit for someone like my size?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...