Jump to content
Daetrin

The various types of armor and where to find them

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Marz87 said:

Easy one for you troopers, why "tk"??

I don't think there has ever been a 100% accurate answer, I always thought is was Trooper Korps, or Trooper Knight.

 

An interesting thread on the matter here

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello imperial Brothers,

I have a question and i don't know if anyone has the experience to give an experienced one, i am thinking on a PVC type plastic armor instead of ABS, can i get some advice on which i should go for.

Thanks in advance for the help.

 

Imperial greetings from Portugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mino said:

Hello imperial Brothers,

I have a question and i don't know if anyone has the experience to give an experienced one, i am thinking on a PVC type plastic armor instead of ABS, can i get some advice on which i should go for.

Thanks in advance for the help.

 

Imperial greetings from Portugal

RS Props makes a PVC armour if you ask for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Locitus said:

RS Props makes a PVC armour if you ask for it.

I know, my question is, should i go for the ABS one or the PVC, i am stuck, and don't know what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mino said:

I know, my question is, should i go for the ABS one or the PVC, i am stuck, and don't know what to do.

I would go for ABS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ABS as Mathias says.  HIPS can be pretty nice though, more forgiving to cut and put together, usually is cheaper.  Downsides is you have to paint it, and it some parts along the thighs don't hold up as well over time.  That said, when it wears out, just touch up and repaint.   But I'm guessing 95%+ of armor out there is ABS, and there are reasons for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Daetrin said:

ABS as Mathias says.  HIPS can be pretty nice though, more forgiving to cut and put together, usually is cheaper.  Downsides is you have to paint it, and it some parts along the thighs don't hold up as well over time.  That said, when it wears out, just touch up and repaint.   But I'm guessing 95%+ of armor out there is ABS, and there are reasons for it.

Thanks, i think i will go for the ABS then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Locitus said:

I would go for ABS.

Thanks for the help, i will go for the ABS one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For informational purposes, if someone is interested in Anovos wait times, they are currently having quality issues (as of the time of this post) for TK kits.  I placed an order in May that was scheduled to ship a few days ago and it did not.  I have found folks on the forums still waiting for Anovos TK armor that was ordered as far back as August 2016.  I have since cancelled my order with them as they don't seem to have any idea when product will be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, this information is very very helpful. Thank you. I had no idea how much there was to consider. Unfirtunately I have no confidence when it comes to practical things so assembling for me is best life to an expert. I'm going to enquire at RS Props about how much they charge to deliver ready to wear armour. Thanks again. Great forum. J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi, this information is very very helpful. Thank you. I had no idea how much there was to consider. Unfirtunately I have no confidence when it comes to practical things so assembling for me is best life to an expert. I'm going to enquire at RS Props about how much they charge to deliver ready to wear armour. Thanks again. Great forum. J.

None of us were experts when we started. get in contact with your local garrison and go to an armor party before you spend your money. It may give you the confidence you need to have a go! Best of luck and we hope to see you trooping soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thank you, yes I will . I've taken the plunge though and ordered from RS Props. Im now looking into a voice changer with preferably a static burst facility although I've read if you blow into the mic it gives off this sound. Lots to learn. Thank you for the reply. J.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, armybarbies said:

I am looking to start building my armor by buying a helmet. Is eFX a 501st approved helmet? and if not out of the box, can it be made to be?

You will find that the eFX helmet is huge in comparison to a lot of other helmets available, there are more screen accurate and cheaper options out there, I suggest a little more research ;) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not know how long you want to wait but I am building one and will have it for sale when I am done. It will be 501st aprovable. I could not give you a time frame as of now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You will find that the eFX helmet is huge in comparison to a lot of other helmets available, there are more screen accurate and cheaper options out there, I suggest a little more research ;) .

I have a larger head and am planning to mod the inside so the size isn't that much of a concern to me. I've been researching for about 8 months now and I'm wanting to do it within the next 2 weeks. If I have to mod to make 501st approvable I would be ok with that, I'm just wondering if it's approvable or what will need to be done to make it approvable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a larger head and am planning to mod the inside so the size isn't that much of a concern to me. I've been researching for about 8 months now and I'm wanting to do it within the next 2 weeks. If I have to mod to make 501st approvable I would be ok with that, I'm just wondering if it's approvable or what will need to be done to make it approvable.


AM and RT Mod were meant for larger frames (and noggins) and are proportionate to the armor when assembled. The eFX is a nice show piece but you probably don’t want to troop with it or cut into it just to make it approvable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys!

 

First off THANK YOU for the info here, it certainly helped me make some better informed choices.

 

I have now purchased a Sandtrooper commission from RS Propmasters and cannot wait to get my hands on it.

 

My concern is that I have also ordered the E-11 blaster and DLT-19 heavy blaster to go with it, and being Australia, we are pretty uptight about importing even replica firearms into the country.

 

I am curious to know if anyone else has had an issue with this? The order is still 8 weeks away, but I assume I may need to contact Customs and inform them, and hope that they do not confiscate part of my order!

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know which makers here would match ANOVOS in terms of color (different shades of white among each it seems), if we need to mix n’ match? Anovos does not provide replacement parts as many of you well know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard people matching Anovos with WTF. But it certainly isn’t the same shade. Most people wouldn’t even realize the difference though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2017 at 5:27 AM, jordanewcastle said:

. . . . My concern is that I have also ordered the E-11 blaster and DLT-19 heavy blaster to go with it, and being Australia, we are pretty uptight about importing even replica firearms into the country.

 

I am curious to know if anyone else has had an issue with this? The order is still 8 weeks away, but I assume I may need to contact Customs and inform them, and hope that they do not confiscate part of my order!

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 

Cheers.

 

I'm not an expert with importation of prop weapons.  But, if your vendor of choice can ship the props unassembled, .e.g. sometimes, depending on design, the BFG can come in 2 or 3 separate parts, it may be less wait time.  Same for the smaller prop guns; some parts unattached.

 

From my own experience, I had very little issues getting a DC-15X (came in two parts) and a DC-15s blaster (completely assembled) into the US from Denmark, like zero wait time in customs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New to the site, I am BH18404 Boba Fett 501st. Midsouth Garrison.

 

I am starting a Scout Trooper in a few weeks, and need help locating armor, jumpsuit, soft parts, weapons, and of course helmet. I have spoke to a lot of troopers and they said this is the place to be. Any leads or contact will be appreciated.

Have a good day

BH18404

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BH18404 said:

New to the site, I am BH18404 Boba Fett 501st. Midsouth Garrison.

 

I am starting a Scout Trooper in a few weeks, and need help locating armor, jumpsuit, soft parts, weapons, and of course helmet. I have spoke to a lot of troopers and they said this is the place to be. Any leads or contact will be appreciated.

Have a good day

BH18404

 

Hi Richard and welcome to the FISD!  Boba Fett is one of the coolest costumes we can do in the legion.  Maybe one day I will try and conquer it.  Anyway, if you are interested in doing a Biker Scout then the detachment you want to head to is Pathfinders http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?act=home

 

However, if you would like to stay and party with us TKs then you are more then welcome to.  We can give you any information you are looking for.  Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all. Unfortunately I found this thread after placing my order with jedi-robe.com. Its being delivered in a couple days... Does anyone here have experience with returning kits to jedi-robe.com? I did use PayPal for the purchase so there might be some protection there. I understand if I have to eat the shipping both ways.

 

It's not all bad though. I have a set of untrimmed (mostly) AP armor I ordered a year ago but my confidence in my build abilities is so poor (got the bucket mostly done but freaked out while painting it and quit and screwed up one of the calves) that I decided to spend the money to have a ready made suit and felt confident in jedi-robe.com's quality after reading thier FAQ's (stupid of me I know). After much reading on this thread I am convinced that there is no salvaging the jedi-robe armor. I would like to become 501st approved and would rather not be a pariah in my local garrison because of this armor. 

 

Anyway, any experience with returns to jedi-robe.com would be appreciated. 

 

Thanks for the thread and help!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...