The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

TK Brethren,

Is there an updated list of providers? I see 46 pages here. Wondering if I can find a shortcut. Looking for a good provider in the states: 

Criteria:

Classic Trooper

Would not like to wait 6-10 months

Would like something pre-trimmed.

Screen accurate

USA provider

I know of Walt's Trooper Factory and KB props. What other providers should I consider? 

Thoughts? Thanks for your help! 

Hi Chris and welcome to FISD!  So I know 46 pages seems like a lot but you have a lot to consider in this hobby.  This hobby costs a lot of money.  You certainly want to make a well educated decision on what armor is right for you.  Picking your armor will be the most important decision you could make.  I would seriously not recommend taking shortcuts anywhere.  You should take the time and read through all 47 pages.  There is a ton of information here.  The questions that you asked are all answered in this thread.  Good luck with your research.

• Like 1

The above responses are solid advice.

Otherwise, per your criteria, you're best bet is to check the commissary here or see if anyone in your garrison is selling armor.

- The time-line is up to you, I'm almostfinished with mine and is been about 4-5 weeks.

- You're not likely to get a pretrimmed set as you should trim it to your body and size.

- The work we do to them make them as close to screen accurate as we can.

Talk to your garrison members, they can give you massive insight as well as finding advice here on FISD. You can even see the final product. Plus, they'll help you with armor parties.

TK Brethren,

Is there an updated list of providers? I see 46 pages here. Wondering if I can find a shortcut. Looking for a good provider in the states:

Criteria:

Classic Trooper

Would not like to wait 6-10 months

Would like something pre-trimmed.

Screen accurate

USA provider

I know of Walt's Trooper Factory and KB props. What other providers should I consider?

Thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Edited by Strength
  • Like 1

By getting a pretrimmed kit you still will save a lot of time and risk of errors if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you will only need to trim off extra material on the top of thighs and bottom of shins and maybe forearms 90% of the trimming is done for you.

Mark (AP)

• 2 weeks later...

walt here....

no nothing recasted     and thanks for the kind words and massive support   you guys make me this way  !!!

we, the 501st  have such high standards and I strive to meet them

we also have a few great armor makers that for the most part are just cool guys

from what I remember  I am not on the vetted list due to the time   I needed to have a proven track record of good cust service and response time,, and I feel I have that now..

so that was the only reason as far as I know

but also I have not followed up on the getting vetted and all

it would be nice but I think most of you who know me are happy and spread the word and that means the world to me

I am truly humbled that wtf is at the center of a small debate

thanks 

walt 

• Like 5

walt here....

no nothing recasted     and thanks for the kind words and massive support   you guys make me this way  !!!

we, the 501st  have such high standards and I strive to meet them

we also have a few great armor makers that for the most part are just cool guys

from what I remember  I am not on the vetted list due to the time   I needed to have a proven track record of good cust service and response time,, and I feel I have that now..

so that was the only reason as far as I know

but also I have not followed up on the getting vetted and all

it would be nice but I think most of you who know me are happy and spread the word and that means the world to me

I am truly humbled that wtf is at the center of a small debate

thanks 

walt

Hi Walt,

To date we haven't seen or heard of any substantive quality or service concerns. We're chatting about it now in the staff area of the boards and will have a decision no later than end of week, if not sooner. Thanks for posting this ask - we appreciate your patience and also professionalism.

• Like 1

Oh no worries on my end. Locitus did get with me. And yes one of my molds was questionable so I did remake it. As matter of fact I had to revise all of my molds But like I said to locitus I am not here to have a massive debate If it happens great if not I won't yell and scream till the sun goes down. But hey thanks for asking

• Like 2

Hey guys! This thread is such an amazing resource, thank you! So, I'm working on a secret project: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38146-secret-plans/?p=509376#entry509376'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/38146-secret-plans/?p=509376#entry509376</a>)

I'm trying to find the right armor for my size, and I'll need to go to a knee (queue laughter). I'm 6' 200lbs in pretty good shape, so I'm not sure what the best size/fit would be. (Should I order bigger and trim back or not). Chest 43", Shoulders Front:17.5", Back:19.5", waist:38", arms: 26" Inseam:32.5", Low Hip:43.5". I'm thinking TM or AM might be the best fit, opinions? I need all the help I can get to pull my plan off. So if anyone can help out I'd be incredibly grateful! Thank you!!!

Edited by Fixer

This was a great thread for my build.  Thank you for all the information.  Out of curiousity, I went with troopershaw's AM armor.  I saw that you talked about joining the butt with the legs.  I was wondering what you meant by that. Thank you again. 

-Ryan Suhrke

This was a great thread for my build.  Thank you for all the information.  Out of curiousity, I went with troopershaw's AM armor.  I saw that you talked about joining the butt with the legs.  I was wondering what you meant by that. Thank you again. 

-Ryan Suhrke

Butt joining is an assembly method for the armor parts.  You butt join the legs, not join the legs to the butt ;)  Instead of having two pieces that overlap with glue in the middle, you have two pieces butt up against each other, then use a cover strip on the front and back to hold them together. 

Look here in the TK information post: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/22-howto-assemble-thighs-butt-join-with-cover-strips/

Butt joining is an assembly method for the armor parts.  You butt join the legs, not join the legs to the butt ;)  Instead of having two pieces that overlap with glue in the middle, you have two pieces butt up against each other, then use a cover strip on the front and back to hold them together. 

Look here in the TK information post: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/tutorials/article/22-howto-assemble-thighs-butt-join-with-cover-strips/

I can't remember where I found this graphic, but it made it all clear to me. Some makes of armor have the cover strips moulded into half of the armor instead of being a separate piece (which is more screen accurate). When it's moulded in, you use the overlap method (or cut it off). When the parts are separate, you use the butt join:

20160722085200-ef8ab5c6.jpg

Edited by kman
  • Like 1

What an incredible amount of information here. I just joined these forums yesterday upon the recommendation of the local 501st garrison (I ordered a First Order Stormtrooper helmet from ANOVOS at Disney's Hollywood Studios earlier this month and now I'm looking at getting armor to complete the uniform and apply for membership in the 501st.) It took me a few hours to read through all 47 pages, but all the questions I would have had were answered. Thanks to everyone for not only creating the initial page back in 2010, but keeping it up to date as well as responding to all the questions in these forums.

Now off to check out the First Order Stormtroopers Resources thread!

• Like 3

Woo! I made it through all 48 pages. Glad I did, as a lot of the questions I had were answered. On the shorter side at 5'7", 160-ish pounds, I think that I've determined AP would be a good option for my first build--I'm hoping for a sandtrooper that I want to get to level 3/SWAT approval and start trooping. I emailed Mark a few days ago through a link on TK409's webpage. I keep getting returned-undeliverable emails from Chris (TK409, copied on the email link) but haven't heard anything yet from Mark. Hopefully my email went through to him and I hear something soon, as I'd like to get in line for my order. I might also contact some of the other builders that have been mentioned just for my due diligence on pricing and availability. I've been a fan of the 501st for years and really want to get involved ASAP. Thanks for this site and the wealth of info. I have a friend that built a TK years ago before resources like this were available and he had to do a LOT of work to find stuff. This is way easier.

• Like 1

Woo! I made it through all 48 pages. Glad I did, as a lot of the questions I had were answered. On the shorter side at 5'7", 160-ish pounds, I think that I've determined AP would be a good option for my first build--I'm hoping for a sandtrooper that I want to get to level 3/SWAT approval and start trooping. I emailed Mark a few days ago through a link on TK409's webpage. I keep getting returned-undeliverable emails from Chris (TK409, copied on the email link) but haven't heard anything yet from Mark. Hopefully my email went through to him and I hear something soon, as I'd like to get in line for my order. I might also contact some of the other builders that have been mentioned just for my due diligence on pricing and availability. I've been a fan of the 501st for years and really want to get involved ASAP. Thanks for this site and the wealth of info. I have a friend that built a TK years ago before resources like this were available and he had to do a LOT of work to find stuff. This is way easier.

Check out Walt's Trooper Factory too. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, 32-33" waist. He only has a 6 week turn around on his kits, one of the fastest in the biz! Search Walt's Trooper Factory on FB and join the group. Their armor is super durable and the brightest white! Customer Service is amazing and he's an approved armor maker! You'll be building by early Sept. (Maybe earlier). I just got my Expert Infantry in mine and after 1 tiny tweak I'll be submitting for Centurion. Check out my build thread for detailed pictures of their kit. http://bit.ly/jimsstormtrooperbuild

Jim - TK50899

Love the build thread, Jim.  At your suggestion, I also contacted Walt.  His stuff looks fantastic.  Still working out the details of which kit makes the most sense but I appreciate your suggestion and I'll definitely be referring back to your build thread when my kit arrives.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Excellent thread for a neophyte like myself, thank you all!

I'm thinking of going for an ANH Hero built from Troopermasters kit, the Acrylic capped ABS is whispering shiny nothings in my ear. Just want to see if you think this is a good choice or if I've misinterpreted something as I have to admit that I didn't give every post in this thread 100% attention.

Hi, just joined the Forum and i am looking for a kit that is the easy to assemble and not too expensive .

The Anovos Kit seems pretty good since it includes the Helmet, armor and soft goods (Neck seal,​ two-piece Undersuit and black rubber Gloves ) all for 650$.

Are there better alternatives?

Edited by Outlandish

Hi, just joined the Forum and i am looking for a kit that is the easy to assemble and not too expensive .

The Anovos Kit seems pretty good since it includes the Helmet, armor and soft goods (Neck seal,​ two-piece Undersuit and black rubber Gloves ) all for 650$.

Are there better alternatives?

Yes, the Anovos kit for $450 that lacks the undersuit, neck seal and gloves, BETTER versions of which can be found for much less than $200. ;)
  • Like 1

Yes, the Anovos kit for $450 that lacks the undersuit, neck seal and gloves, BETTER versions of which can be found for much less than $200. ;)

And to add to what Kman said they are all pretty much the same when it comes to assembly. Unless you do a commission all you are going to receive is a Big Brown Box (BBB) full of vacuum formed plastic parts that need to be trimmed and fitted. Don't be intimidated if you have limited skills, just contact your local Garrison and research the heck out of these forums and you'll be trooping in no time!

Oh yeah, and expect to spend between $800-1000 when all said and done. (Boots, Blaster, storage box, and all the little bits and pieces you'll discover, quickly add up!)

Jim - TK50899

Edited by MoSc0ut
  • Like 2