The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

hi there. really dont care about the technical stuff. not looking to joiin 501st etc. all i want is easy to put on realistic looking wearable stormtrooper armor. i can handle a pricier costume but not the $2500 originalstormtrooper wants. i am in the usa and wanting to enjoy people turning their heads at a storm trooper. i work with children so i want halloween to be fun and memorable. 

that all said i can fork out 1K or so for super good looking and durable. but also dont have the tools or smarts for much diy work. any ideas? im talking armor. shoes i have found and ill take the expensive helmet and blaster/holster if needed (no way im messing with the voice box).        also left handed 5'7" and 150 lbs.  any help would be great. big Star Wars fan. just not a wealthy one haha.

cheers, Aaron

Hi Aaron.  If you are looking for a completed armor to be around $1000 you will be hard pressed.  Unless you can come across something in the for sale area.  If you went over to Anovos, I see that they are selling a complete armor for around $1450.  The only issue right now with Anovos is they originally said they will not be shipping until this coming winter.  However, I'm sure it will take even longer.

I would say you should look at some of the build threads and take on the challenge yourself and build one from a kit.  It may seem intimidating but it really isn't bad once you get started.  It just takes some organization and time.  If you would like to keep it within your price range, then see what the wait time is right now for ATA.  It usually takes months and if that is still the case then look at MTK or AP.  You are within the measurements to fit in these.  You could look into AM but you will be trimming a lot of it.

Since you are only looking into just wearing it for halloween or things like that and you don't really care if its put together like the originals then i'm sure you could slap it together using whatever methods work for you.

Good luck

At this time, nobody. I expect Anovos to release it commercially as the movie gets closer. The kit looks like a huge pain to build though.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Just making sure I didn't miss anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Paul, this is the thread you need to research for finding your armor.  The vetted, or "approved" armorers on the first page are still in business.  A lot of it will depend on what size you are, (some are more specialized for larger/taller troopers, but can be cut down to fit), how much you want to spend, and how long you are willing to wait.

Hey guys love this thread. But not sure if it was coverd but whats thoughts on the MTK kit? (i hope it's favorable since i have one coming) And yes i got it off ebay. Lucked out with someone who just didn't have the time to build it. Though they had Trooper Bay build the helmet already. Hoping i didn't make a bad investment.

Thanks!

Hey guys love this thread. But not sure if it was coverd but whats thoughts on the MTK kit? (i hope it's favorable since i have one coming) And yes i got it off ebay. Lucked out with someone who just didn't have the time to build it. Though they had Trooper Bay build the helmet already. Hoping i didn't make a bad investment.

Thanks!

MTK is fine quailty, you can check it out in the build threads.  Seems to be a pretty good kit.

The reason it's not listed here has to do with some history and possible bad blood with the site, the possibility that it's recast (that the maker assures it isn't) but anyway... if it's actually an MTK kit you got on eBay, you're probably alright, and it'll make a fine suit of armor for you!

Thanks!

Hey Tony!  Yes MTK is an awesome kit.  Mike has made many improvements that have made his kit just as great as a lot of the rest.  Again, take a look at some of the build threads.  There are a lot of neat tricks and techniques that you may want to use when you are building it.  You will love it!

On 6/15/2010 at 8:38 PM, Daetrin said:

First and foremost...

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your article. Could you please update your article concerning stormtroopercity.com? We did make a lot of efforts and had new molds made to be A New Hope screen-accurate.

Type: TKUK

Kit: Pre-trimmed high quality 2mm thick acrylic capped glossy white ABS plastic - Fan sculpt own molds

Availability: Available.

Assembly: Pre-trimmed, no painting needed. Helmet similar to the stunt helmets but made in 3 main parts + 2 ear pieces. Best fit for 6 feet tall sizes but adaptable for smaller sizes by trimming bits. Comes trimmed out of the box, but you might still be required to trim  to best fit it to your body size.

Comments: ...

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 7/26/2015 at 5:57 PM, jt.stormtrooper said:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your article. Could you please update your article concerning stormtroopercity.com? We did make a lot of efforts and had new molds made to be A New Hope screen-accurate.

Type: TKUK

Kit: Pre-trimmed high quality 2mm thick acrylic capped glossy white ABS plastic - Fan sculpt own molds

Availability: Available.

Assembly: Pre-trimmed, no painting needed. Helmet similar to the stunt helmets but made in 3 main parts + 2 ear pieces. Best fit for 6 feet tall sizes but adaptable for smaller sizes by trimming bits. Comes trimmed out of the box, but you might still be required to trim  to best fit it to your body size.

Comments: ...

What you show on your website is nothing more than FX armour with a different helmet. It's neither ANH, your own moulds or screen accurate. You also don't get put on our recommended vendors list by just asking for it.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

What you show on your website is nothing more than FX armour with a different helmet. It's neither ANH, your own moulds or screen accurate. You also don't get put on our recommended vendors list by just asking for it.

Just told him the same thing in the French section before even reading your post here...

• Like 1

i've seen a few posts warning against originalstormtrooper.com. anyone use one of their DIY kits for their armor? if so, were you successful at obtaining membership into the 501st? thanks

The SDS armors aren't too terrible. They are a recasting of the TE armor molds (I believe).

He is a great thermoformer, with a great marketing campaign, but an inferior product compared to the suits that are sold through vetted armor makers for a similar price.

There is nothing holding the SDS armor back, when built right, from obtaining 501st approval.

On 7/26/2015 at 6:21 PM, Locitus said:

Hi Mathias and Eric,

Our armour has been approved and is used by 501st members in many countries and about 30 of them has been used by the 501st parade in Disneyland Hong-Kong yesterday (27 July 2015) (see photos below). They saw nothing wrong with our armours. So, sure, I understand that I don't get put on your recommended vendors just by asking for it, but then the original post was made a long time ago and I just wanted our armour to be considered here as they are used in real life by 501st members. That was it :)

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The original post might be old but it is updated and revised whenever needed.

We know that FX armour is used by lots of members. The thing is that it is the least accurate armour in use and we do not want inaccuracies to spread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, it's not an FX armour, but anyway, thanks for your swift answer. I'm glad it's updated and revised ;) best regards

Call it whatever you like, but it looks like FX. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Thankyou post to Troopergear - Got my Stormtrooper helmet recently & Very very happy with it, & surprised/impressed with how thick the plastic is & that it's not too small looking for me. I totally recommend his stuff for any other newbies after a helmet etc. :)  

• Like 1

And I'm done... finally what a read loads of helpful tips and after feeling some what daunted by it all yesterday afternoon I have since emalled ATA and got my name down on the waiting list. Now just have to see if I can be patient enough or if it will give out and I end up blowing more money on an RS kit.

But thanks really helpful... now off to read up on E-11 Blasters.

And for the record ATA awesome chap got back to me within the day (time zone difference possibly helped there) but fast replies even after that pretty much instant and really helpful.. nearly tempted me to a sandtrooper.

Hi guys a friend just sent me a link to some armour on ebay  ---------

Its really cheap which makes me dubious and after reading a few other threads I doubt the claims to 501st affiliation are real. But thought I'd ask what you think.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/13/2015 at 3:51 AM, MatMac said:

Hi guys a friend just sent me a link to some armour on ebay-------------

Its really cheap which makes me dubious and after reading a few other threads I doubt the claims to 501st affiliation are real. But thought I'd ask what you think.

This looks like the same armor that is discussed a few post above.  I would steer clear.  It looks like FX armor.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 8/13/2015 at 3:51 AM, MatMac said:

Hi guys a friend just sent me a link to some armour on ebay--------------

I believe this is AM, stay away.  Stick with ATA or RS

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hello, I'm new here! My husband is anxiously awaiting his new AM 2.0 armor/helmet kit and I am beginning to look for the additional pieces he'll need to finish his first build up. I, however, am still contemplating what to do. My problem is that I am 5'1" tall and around 120 pounds. Several kits are not made to size down to that height. I am okay with taking on the task of sizing and some trimming if I can find a kit that will fit my size. Do you guys have any specific recommendations for someone my height? I have sent out some e-mails inquiring the Jes Gistang armor as well, but I would much rather have ANH stunt for my first build. I am so glad that this forum exists. It has already helped me so much. Thank you!

Hello, I'm new here! My husband is anxiously awaiting his new AM 2.0 armor/helmet kit and I am beginning to look for the additional pieces he'll need to finish his first build up. I, however, am still contemplating what to do. My problem is that I am 5'1" tall and around 120 pounds. Several kits are not made to size down to that height. I am okay with taking on the task of sizing and some trimming if I can find a kit that will fit my size. Do you guys have any specific recommendations for someone my height? I have sent out some e-mails inquiring the Jes Gistang armor as well, but I would much rather have ANH stunt for my first build. I am so glad that this forum exists. It has already helped me so much. Thank you!

You could have a look at this: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/18243-howto-modifying-armor-for-women/
  • Like 1