The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Brand new potential trooper here. I'm armed with plenty of passion and some funds dedicated to getting me started. If I am reading the supplied information correctly one of the biggest factors in choosing the right armor for myself is my body size/build. I see a lot of notes regarding which armor type is best or easily modified for taller or bigger troopers. I'm looking for advice on which armor brands would be best for a smaller rounder trooper. I'm 5'6" and weigh about 155 lbs. I'm in good shape but I do have a bit of a beer belly. I enjoy my beer =) I am strongly leaning towards ABS since it's a product I've worked with before and I'm familiar with polishing techniques. Knowing myself I will end up getting very involved with this and ultimately wanting to perfect my armor to achieve the different certifications that are offered. So who ca recommend an armor kit that will fit me at 5'6" and 155 lbs., made from ABS and accurate enough to grow with my desire to be accurate? I appreciate all help and suggestions.

hey im very new to this but i was wondering if could get some advice. i want to make the incinerator stormtrooper armor im 5'9 and about 130 pounds. 

so if i were to buy a kit which would you recommend, how would i contact them and any other advice you would like to add.

thank you

• 3 weeks later...

AM is 501st approvable.

There are only issues when you apply for EIB and Centurion.

With the newly redesigned armor, you'll have to replace the back plate with something else, as it is not accurate enough for higher certification.

With the old AM, you had to replace the chest, and back armor plates for higher certification approval.

Also...

To all of you new folks, welcome to the FISD!!!

If you haven't done so, please follow the link that Enrod posted to introduce yourselves. That is where everyone looks for new troopers, and you'll likely get a much warmer and lively welcome and response from the community there. :)

I'm looking for a 6'1 36-37" waist armor. I'd prefer it be from the U.S What is my best option? ATA?

Actualy, it would be RT-Mod in Canada.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

AM would fit you well too :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, I forgot you are back with the AM. :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to submit a change to the listing for Troopermaster.

The description says not for taller troopers. I can confirm that this is 100% incorrect.

TM will change out the shins to his XL shins on request. These are about 2 inches longer than the normal shin and really rock the suit for taller folks.

In my signature, build #1 is my TM I made and wore... I am 6'6" (198cm), 34w/36L and it fit better then any other suit I could have bought.

The Torso piece is long enough to fit my torso length without a problem, but any taller than my height... not recommended. I'd say I'm at the limit for height and waist to fit the suit without shims.

Thanks! Maybe put in that he offers a XL shin thats longer and a little wider then standard for the taller guys?

Since the shin is really the biggest problem for a taller build, as the short ones just look funny.

Edited by Dday

Thanks! Maybe put in that he offers a XL shin thats longer and a little wider then standard for the taller guys?

Since the shin is really the biggest problem for a taller build, as the short ones just look funny.

Doh! I forgot about that. Good suggestion and the first post is now updated.

Doh! I forgot about that. Good suggestion and the first post is now updated.

Don't forget to update the 501st-only version of this post. While you're at it. :)

Awesome job, fast response.. where is the comment cards! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I see a lot of people talking around heights and weights but I didn't see anything specific for my size and I seem to be borderline.  I am 6" 235 lbs with a 36" waist.  Would this still be RT-MOD or will any of the other sets fit?

• 3 weeks later...

I need some suggestions.. 5'6" / 155lbs, looking for Stormtrooper, that could possibly be converted into a Sandtrooper (if that's possible). Otherwise not a deal breaker.. been trying to get in touch with HPDBlues (as I live in Hawaii as well), but can't seem to get a message to him thru FISD.. Messaged him thru Facebook, if anyone can get in contact with him, please ask him to check his "other" folder in messages :)

looking for something by Halloween (which I know is cutting it close), but also durable enough to wear more than twice a year.. I'd like to keep the initial armor/helmet budget roughly around $1000 if possible, knowing that I will add on everything else slowly..

Anyways, looking for any suggestions on who I should seek for my height/build.. any suggestion would be appreciated!

I see a lot of people talking around heights and weights but I didn't see anything specific for my size and I seem to be borderline.  I am 6" 235 lbs with a 36" waist.  Would this still be RT-MOD or will any of the other sets fit?

James,

RT will fit you, and I thing the AM2.0 would also be easily tailored to fit.  I'm fairly certain that any sets would fit you, as long as you shim the sides of the torso to remove gaps (if you care about gaps).

I'm an inch or two taller than you are and about 30 lbs heavier and i found the new AM kit is fitting me pretty well. I've only removed very little material from my kit so far. If you feel you still need to go bigger than look into an RT-Mod. Just be aware he has a waiting list until January of 2015 and AM does runs every other month I believe. And it's a bit cheaper.