The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Thanks so much, guys!

I came across a post that was discussing the difference between ABS and PVC that included some pictures, and I think I decided that if I go with RS, PVC will be the way to go for me.  It seems to be best for what I'm looking for, and I just love the look of a shiny TK!

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going hero or stunt...

Out of curiousity...  where is this post? Would like to read it as there really is no 100% ABS or PVC plastics. Its all formulated with other stuff for some purpose or another. Most of the time its full of fillers like the PVC pipe you get at the big orange and blue box stores.

Out of curiousity...  where is this post? Would like to read it as there really is no 100% ABS or PVC plastics. Its all formulated with other stuff for some purpose or another. Most of the time its full of fillers like the PVC pipe you get at the big orange and blue box stores.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23424-abs-or-pvc/?hl=pvc

It doesn't do into detail about what exactly they're made of, but I found it to be a helpful thread. Especially the pictures.

Edited by Airotciv

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone!

Been skulking about the forums for around a week now, and have finally managed to read all the posts in this thread haha. I'm currently a newbie looking to build his first TK, and after lots of research I think I have narrowed things down to a couple binary choices. I'm a 5'11" male weighing 175 lb, shooting for an ANH Stunt costume, and hoping to at some point upgrade it to Centurion quality (I get quite OCD when it comes to details, so I might start with some of the high-level Centurion details from the get-go :)).

As far as the armor/helmet is concerned I was looking at either ATA or TM. I've heard good things about both from people on these forums, and have seen both used to make Centurion-level costumes. I was mainly curious about which would potentially fit better for a guy my size, as well as be more comfortable, as I might dance some while dressed up if I have decent flexibility.

Second, with TK Boots currently on temporary hiatus, what is the next best option for boots? CABoots seem to be a popular suggestion, but as I understand it, they have a seam down the center of it, so aren't acceptable for a Centurion level costume down the road.

Last, though probably a bit off-topic for this thread, I was curious as to people's preferences between the DoopyDoo E-11 complete kit and the DVH E-11 kit.

Thanks for the assistance, you guys are incredibly helpful, and seemingly have never-ending patience for all of us newbies aspiring to become troopers  :)

-Nick

TE (ATA/TMC/AP/TE2/ etc) derived kits are undersized because of several generations of recasting (even the original ROTJ and SE-suits are recasts in a way). I'm sure most makers of those armours have made some modifications to enlarge the kits again, but to me that seems mostly to have been focused on the girth of the torso and not so much on the limbs.

personally I would like to see proof of this?

the lineage was produced from a ROTJ tour suit that was recast and then modified to "look more ANH" most likely a suit made at elstree studios.

then TE started making molds of this, and then made a set of molds that again brought back some ROTJ details.

after this suit was created, it was considered the "best around" so then TE started selling molds, and claiming to "be out of the hobby"

TE made extensive mods and started making changes to the shoulder bell swoop, the AB plate and the thighs.

this produces the CAP and CAP-w recast mod sets.  then we get AP purchasing molds and making suits. then ATA recast cap with permission.

basically TE/ TE2 and cap are more directly related with ATA than AP.

having AP, and ATA suits myself, and having examined TE and TE2 suits up close and personal I see no way that the suits were made "smaller" by

recasting.  this might sound good to some... but it just does not describe the actual turns of events.

when I hold up ATA parts to AP parts they are not related at all, and are not recast from each other.

it's the same with TE ilneage parts.  MG did a lot of modifications to the base "tour" casting.

the chest and AB are really telling when looking at the sculpts.

the ATA chest does not match up with the AP chest... so it's not just recasting, it's more of a situation of recasting and then resculpting

adding changes in all the lineage of armors made.

The kidney plate and butt plates are also very interesting to compare.  I have seen AP sculpted pulls right off the buck untrimmed

and you can see the lower cutout on the bottom of the kidney plate, and then the vertical line on each side.

when AP cuts off this extra 1" on each side you get a smaller armor.  perhaps the reason why AP kits are smaller in the

abdomen section might simply be AP cutting off the kidney plate at the vertical line on each side, which is supposed to be there

along with the notch form that's clearly in the mold... just the producer cuts this off thinking it's "extra detail that needs to be removed"

to get a vertical line. The AP abdomen could do with extra plastic on both the front and rear sections, this would make it more in line with the

originals.

there sure have been a lot of people making armor, and now with RS props out, we have a firestorm of recasting and producers

who are making copies of the RS sculpt just from eyeballing the details.

"oh thank heaven" for RS props, who brings back the original lineage to all of us.

I personally after studying the armor lineage don't subscribe to the "made smaller by recasting" thought process.

it's actually made smaller by the makers on purpose.

AP has told me that the forearms on his suit needed a lot of work, and still they are not original from the tour suit.

have fun and I sure wish someone would make up a formal family tree of the armor lineage! anyone up to that?

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Im only 5'7 and 135lbs. Which would be the best to contact for armor? I didnt want to put up the cash and then find that the armor wasnt the best fit for me.

you can fit into any of the screen accurate armors,

RS props

AP

ATA

NE or AM armor would be much too large for youi.

you can fit into any of the screen accurate armors,

RS props

AP

ATA

NE or AM armor would be much too large for youi.

Im really green when it comes to this and although I have a few friends in the MS Garrison/Rancor Riders, I never really paid much attention to their armor. How exactly does the armor keep in place? I know the helmets are hinged (I think) so are the rest hinged/separated and snap together or held together by velcro strips. Like I said, I never really paid attention to my friends armors and would like for someone to enlighten me on this.

Hello everyone!

Been skulking about the forums for around a week now, and have finally managed to read all the posts in this thread haha. I'm currently a newbie looking to build his first TK, and after lots of research I think I have narrowed things down to a couple binary choices. I'm a 5'11" male weighing 175 lb, shooting for an ANH Stunt costume, and hoping to at some point upgrade it to Centurion quality (I get quite OCD when it comes to details, so I might start with some of the high-level Centurion details from the get-go :)).

As far as the armor/helmet is concerned I was looking at either ATA or TM. I've heard good things about both from people on these forums, and have seen both used to make Centurion-level costumes. I was mainly curious about which would potentially fit better for a guy my size, as well as be more comfortable, as I might dance some while dressed up if I have decent flexibility.

Second, with TK Boots currently on temporary hiatus, what is the next best option for boots? CABoots seem to be a popular suggestion, but as I understand it, they have a seam down the center of it, so aren't acceptable for a Centurion level costume down the road.

Last, though probably a bit off-topic for this thread, I was curious as to people's preferences between the DoopyDoo E-11 complete kit and the DVH E-11 kit.

Thanks for the assistance, you guys are incredibly helpful, and seemingly have never-ending patience for all of us newbies aspiring to become troopers  :)

-Nick

Whats the difference between the ANH,Stunt armors and Centurion armor?

Whats the difference between the ANH,Stunt armors and Centurion armor?

Several details:

http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

Lists the requirements to satisfy standard level, Expert Infantry level, and Centurion level ANH (stunt) armor. I'm happy to target standard level to start, but I *know* Centurion level is something I'd be interested in long-term, so I'd love to satisfy some of those requirements from the get-go.

personally I would like to see proof of this?

the lineage was produced from a ROTJ tour suit that was recast and then modified to "look more ANH" most likely a suit made at elstree studios.

then TE started making molds of this, and then made a set of molds that again brought back some ROTJ details.

after this suit was created, it was considered the "best around" so then TE started selling molds, and claiming to "be out of the hobby"

TE made extensive mods and started making changes to the shoulder bell swoop, the AB plate and the thighs.

this produces the CAP and CAP-w recast mod sets.  then we get AP purchasing molds and making suits. then ATA recast cap with permission.

basically TE/ TE2 and cap are more directly related with ATA than AP.

having AP, and ATA suits myself, and having examined TE and TE2 suits up close and personal I see no way that the suits were made "smaller" by

recasting.  this might sound good to some... but it just does not describe the actual turns of events.

when I hold up ATA parts to AP parts they are not related at all, and are not recast from each other.

it's the same with TE ilneage parts.  MG did a lot of modifications to the base "tour" casting.

the chest and AB are really telling when looking at the sculpts.

the ATA chest does not match up with the AP chest... so it's not just recasting, it's more of a situation of recasting and then resculpting

adding changes in all the lineage of armors made.

The kidney plate and butt plates are also very interesting to compare.  I have seen AP sculpted pulls right off the buck untrimmed

and you can see the lower cutout on the bottom of the kidney plate, and then the vertical line on each side.

when AP cuts off this extra 1" on each side you get a smaller armor.  perhaps the reason why AP kits are smaller in the

abdomen section might simply be AP cutting off the kidney plate at the vertical line on each side, which is supposed to be there

along with the notch form that's clearly in the mold... just the producer cuts this off thinking it's "extra detail that needs to be removed"

to get a vertical line. The AP abdomen could do with extra plastic on both the front and rear sections, this would make it more in line with the

originals.

there sure have been a lot of people making armor, and now with RS props out, we have a firestorm of recasting and producers

who are making copies of the RS sculpt just from eyeballing the details.

"oh thank heaven" for RS props, who brings back the original lineage to all of us.

I personally after studying the armor lineage don't subscribe to the "made smaller by recasting" thought process.

it's actually made smaller by the makers on purpose.

Yes, there has been modifications to the original casts taken by TE. We all know this. Gino made plenty to his armour moulds too. All because they were trying to get a more ANH look to the ROTJ look the casts had. What are you arguing about?

AP has told me that the forearms on his suit needed a lot of work, and still they are not original from the tour suit.

Of course it's not like the tour suit, AP doesn't use those parts. It's a duplicate ROTJ arm. It's TE2 and ATA that has the tour suit arm.

I'm about 134lbs (61kg) and 5.7ft (173cm). Been looking into ATA, AP and TM/C. They all have a reasonable price range. TM and RS is a little over my budget. Then again, the costs might rise if customs take em. As the other three makers are located in NA.

Anywho... If you guys take a look at my weight and height. Would you recommend any over the other?

Edited by balterz

I'm about 134lbs (61kg) and 5.7ft (173cm). Been looking into ATA, AP and TM/C. They all have a reasonable price range. TM and RS is a little over my budget. Then again the costs might rise, as the other three makers comes from North America.

Anywho... If you guys take a look at my weight and height. Would you recommend any over the other?

I'm about your size. Same weight and just 4 cm taller. TM fits me perfectly after I made the arms and legs slimmer. I would recommend a european maker. Saves you a lot on shipping and there is no tax or customs fees added.

Just wanted to vouch for the AM armor!

Got duped on an eBay buy last year and rushed the build as I was so excited

Paid over $1000 total and am so disappointed I did.

Black plastic painted white scratches where it overlaps and looks terrible.

Also I don't have the tools necessary to take it from a "fits 150lbs to 200lbs, just trim to fit" to fitting me

sucked in!

So after r&d on here I saw the recommendations on the list and decided to email them and ATA.

Both emailed back quickly but ATA had a serious waiting list

AM said they had them in stock ready to go. They answered my (probably really annoying) questions really quickly and I ordered the same day

Great price!

**NEXT DAY my armor arrived!**

Boy was I surprised!

I run a business that ships out clothing and I'm not even that efficient! hahaha

(don't tell my customers that)

All armor is beautifully packed and individually wrapped to protect during shipping

All the work is done for you as far as trimming, which my "new dad" lifestyle really appreciates.

All in all, a great experience.

Very grateful for the help and for the great service

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Kudos for all the great information and to the original poster on this thread.

Another n00b.. About to order my first TK armour and reckon i've decided on AP. I am just under 6"1 and a slim 180 pounds (80kg) so would be considered "lanky".

My question is, I know (believe) AP would fit me, it is readily available, and I can afford the price (Aussie $ hurts on conversion atm) *but* is it the best for my skinny/tall frame? I don't want too much black showing if possible. Oh, and I will order the pre-trimmed if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Just curious here....as a newbie to this, I have spent a great deal of time reviewing the various forums to get advice on armor.

I have seen repeated comments "not to buy" from the stormtroopershop.com, but I have not heard the specific reasons why.

As I am looking at close to 1500 for the kit I want, I am tempted to get their fully made armor with E11, boots, body suit, etc. as it is the same price and saves me a ton of time.

So can anyone advise why these guys stink? Do they make a truly bad set of armor, lousy service, slow shipping or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious here....as a newbie to this, I have spent a great deal of time reviewing the various forums to get advice on armor.

I have seen repeated comments "not to buy" from the stormtroopershop.com, but I have not heard the specific reasons why.

As I am looking at close to 1500 for the kit I want, I am tempted to get their fully made armor with E11, boots, body suit, etc. as it is the same price and saves me a ton of time.

So can anyone advise why these guys stink? Do they make a truly bad set of armor, lousy service, slow shipping or what?

A cautionary tale!  Over a year ago I bought from JR before being aware of the 501st, FISD or the UKG!  Being only 5ft 4in I bought my 'Reduced Size Armour' ('501st Replica') under the incorrect impression that this was the only way I could get a TK costume to fit me!  To say that I was disappointed after what I paid would be a huge understatement! 

My 'ready to wear' armour fitted so badly I could barely move in it!  It took me 3 months of very hard work to get it up to 501st basic standard!  Even then I would say it was only mediocre at best!  The plastic ammo belt snapped after only a few troops.  The helmet was huge and like the armour needed lots of work.  No one ever put me down for wearing this armour but I always felt second class in it and that's being generous. When I started trooping with the UKG I got to see decent armour up close and realised how bad in comparison this was!  

As soon as I was able I got two sets of AP trimmed armour kits for my wife and me.  I only had to trim the forearms, thighs and shins and that was it!  Compared to my 'ready to wear' armour which required EVERY part to be trimmed!  A further consideration is the fact that I got two sets of vetted armour for about the same cost as I paid for the one JR! :(

Believe me one thing you will not save will be time!  The E11 and holster are poor and the neck seal was like wearing a whiplash neck brace!  The boots are not 501st clearable either.   The standard supplied belt is plastic and not canvas which you might expect for a suit costing this much!  

In my opinion there is no 'quick fix' for this type of hobby if you want to wear quality armour that is a credit to the 501st!  It takes time, effort and money!  However, it is not always the case that you get what you pay for!