The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

• 1 month later...

Can anyone buy a FISD armor here and assemble it, then get approved?

I'm a mega noob and english ain't my first langue, so not sure witch to pick. I really want a CANON that looks as close to "real" thing as possible, and one that can be made a bit smaller as i'm planning on loosing at least 22 pounds. And for the BUCKET i really want that one with the small speakers so i can sound like they do in the movie(might be a later project) with a thick Danish accented xD

Joakim, there's no such thing as "FISD" armor.

Also, you will have to specify which version of stormtrooper armour you would like to have "as close to the real thing as possible", because that will tell you which "brand" to go for.

Build it all, try your luck at becoming a member of the 501st Legion, get your gear approved, then join this detachment as a member. That's the way to go.

And again, there is no such thing as "the bucket with the small speakers" since speakers can be installed in all helmets. Which, by the way, is not "prop accurate". ;) I personally prefer mute stormtroopers anyways, because people tend to talk a lot of non-canon BS when on a troop.

How long until RDSprops are eligible to get on the list? I keep hearing incredibly good things...

SDS also seems to be doing good business, all politics aside.

Perhaps putting an 'available in black' note on the list would reduce the number of people asking which armours come in black throughout the thread?

It will probably when we see some good RDSProp build threads and there is an good established history. Hearing things is hard to gauge - I've heard things too and not all positive. They are still pretty young - if you look at the list all have been in the biz for several years.

SDS has so much bad stories I can't in good conscious recommend him as a vendor. Too many people screwed over the past few years...

In the end, this thread is not meant to be a list of *every* armor maker - just those that over the years have a sterling reputation for quality and consistency of service. And, there is no guarantee that once on people will stay there - sometimes good makers go bad and have to be pulled.

It will probably when we see some good RDSProp build threads and there is an good established history. Hearing things is hard to gauge - I've heard things too and not all positive. They are still pretty young - if you look at the list all have been in the biz for several years.

SDS has so much bad stories I can't in good conscious recommend him as a vendor. Too many people screwed over the past few years...

In the end, this thread is not meant to be a list of *every* armor maker - just those that over the years have a sterling reputation for quality and consistency of service. And, there is no guarantee that once on people will stay there - sometimes good makers go bad and have to be pulled.

im curious about RS Prop armour ide love to get my hands on a set but havent seen many complete builds to 100% convince me to dig into my wallet to spend $$$, but like Paul states they are new to the game :) .

This thread has been a great reference. I've still scoured the net figuring out what Armor I want to go with but it's great to find one thread that backs up a lot of what I've found.

Now if only there was a thread making that made the decision for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to all of this, but ive been doing some heavy research for the past week and im on a pretty tight budget for my armor. I've contacted troopergear for price quotes on a lite set of AM armor (i'm looking at AP buckets for down the road). Its going to be about 500 dollars, and from what I understand/and have read AM armor is great, and pretty accurate. What's everyone's input on this? I'm 5'8" and about 145 pounds. I've seen other threads on assembling AM kits and plan on making a few size modifications if needed (mostly referencing chest and back pieces) and have no qualms in doing so. Any and all input is welcomed and encouraged. Thanks guys.

AM is not "pretty accurate", and with your size and weight you'll be swimming inside that thing. Better to get something like ATA which is about the same price as AM but includes an accurate helmet and is more suited for someone your size. Don't be afraid that it's a kit, because if you go AM you'll need to modify it so much you might as well build a kit anyway.

@Morgoth We have a guy in our squad that's around your height maybe a bit taller but around 40lbs heavier. He decided on an AM against the advice of some people and his armor looks like he's swimming in it. Take that for what it's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

I really made out good. I stumbled accross TupperwareTK through sheer dumb luck and My Shadow Stormtrooper AM Armor is supposed to arrive on Teusday! I wish I had seen this sooner, it would have saved me a ton of searching and worrying...

My question is...

I am 6'2 and about 180, is AM the right build?

Is there something that looks better that would fit me, or would be cheaper but is just as good?

Last question being in regards to the previous; what should I expect to pay?

Edited by sain186

This is extremely helpful, but i wonder if you TK vets could clarify one bit. Which kits are best, say,for ANH, ESB, etc, or does this really come down to paint and decal style of the buckt, ab buttons, etc?

Thanks,

Edited by Mithras

This is extremely helpful, but i wonder if you TK vets could clarify one bit. Which kits are best, say,for ANH, ESB, etc, or does this really come down to paint and decal style of the buckt, ab buttons, etc?

Thanks,

The only kit that does not lend itself for ANH or ESB is the CFO which is best used for ROTJ style troopers.

Just in case you hadn't guessed, I am a novice

That said, how much do kits usually cost? I'm about 172 cm (I think that's 5 ft 7") and 60 kg (about 132lb) and I'd be interested in an ANH set. How much more do ready-to-wear sets usually cost (they do cost more, right?)? I don't really trust myself to put one together well, but if it's significantly cheaper, I don't mind trying

[edit: Sorry if there's a better thread for this]

Edited by Vwooooshenator

You're looking at at least $450 USD for a new kit, and more like $1000+ for a finished armor depending on maker and age of the armor.

Just in case you hadn't guessed, I am a novice

That said, how much do kits usually cost? I'm about 172 cm (I think that's 5 ft 7") and 60 kg (about 132lb) and I'd be interested in an ANH set. How much more do ready-to-wear sets usually cost (they do cost more, right?)? I don't really trust myself to put one together well, but if it's significantly cheaper, I don't mind trying

[edit: Sorry if there's a better thread for this]

Be ready to spend about a $1000 for everything.