The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

3 hours ago, SublimeBW said:

Really dumb question - is the information on the first page up to date or is there a more current list of approved vendors somewhere within the 59 pages of this thread? 

If it is up to date, how big are the differences between the RS Propmasters (original sculpting) vs something that may have had a few revisions/tweaks from the other vendors? It is a bit hard to make a decision on vendors when the only one that seems to have some clarity is RS (I say hard as I want to check out the others but the information you can garner from a facebook page seems rather limited for something of this value).

Vendor info is current, as to the differences between the armor well that's up to the purchaser to research.

RS has the most info as they had access to an original suit so they would be the most original looking. 

From the first post:

"First and foremost...

There is no one 'best' armor. There is a 'best' armor for *you* depending on a few factors:

1) Your budget

2) What your body size is (yes, different armors lend themselves for different body types) *

3) How experienced are you at building armor

4) It's not the kit, it's how it's fitted to the wearer that counts *

While FISD does not endorse any particular armor maker, below are sellers who have proven themselves time and again in terms of customer service, honesty, and quality.

All makes below can be made to be both 501st and FISD acceptable."

Some research needs to be undertaken when looking to purchase, best way is to have a look through build threads, most have the makers initials in the title, or look at some of the EI and Centurion threads, again most have the makers initials in the title.

Good luck with the research.

• 2 months later...

Found this template on Etsy for 22 dollars. The reviews are great, but I understand it seems way too good to be true. Could someone look at the link and tell me if it's legit? https://www.etsy.com/listing/558687253/stormtrooper-armor-foam-templates?click_key=b5d2971607ab61648fce9ab91bda9979a2dced73%3A558687253&click_sum=41c85ab0&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shadowtrooper+armor&ref=sr_gallery-1-6. Also are any of these websites legit: originalstormtrooper.com    stormtrooper-costumes.com

Edited by Awesomest_Dude
Adding questions

Foam would be fun for Cosplay but not 501st approval unfortunately.

So if your aim is simply Cos or Halloween then $33 cant hurt

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Found this template on Etsy for 22 dollars. The reviews are great, but I understand it seems way too good to be true. Could someone look at the link and tell me if it's legit? https://www.etsy.com/listing/558687253/stormtrooper-armor-foam-templates?click_key=b5d2971607ab61648fce9ab91bda9979a2dced73%3A558687253&click_sum=41c85ab0&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=shadowtrooper+armor&ref=sr_gallery-1-6. Also are any of these websites legit: originalstormtrooper.com    stormtrooper-costumes.com

Foam trooper would not achieve 501st Legion approval.

If you do a search for originalstormtrooper.com  or  stormtrooper-costumes.com youll find many negative comments about them and accuracy is poor

On 3/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Foam trooper would not achieve 501st Legion approval.

If you do a search for originalstormtrooper.com  or  stormtrooper-costumes.com youll find many negative comments about them and accuracy is poor

Thanks. I assumed it was foam but wasn't sure. ANy good budget sellers?

22 minutes ago, Awesomest_Dude said:

Thanks. I assumed it was foam but wasn't sure. ANy good budget sellers?

We recommend looking at the vetted sellers list, there are other makers out there, if you have a look through some of the build threads you can see what they are like, many builds have makers initials in the title of the pages. 

Sure you can find some cheap suits on eBay and Etsy BUT many of these are re-casted poor copies, unfortunately this isn't a cheap hobby if you want to do it right and are seeking 501st legion membership approval

Research is also the key ;) 

The biggest issue right now is the increased price of ABS due to more limited supply and perhaps higher production costs. Some armor makers aren’t even producing due to supply or expense challenges. Up until now perhaps the most well known “budget” kits have come from ATA and MTK (Trooperbay). However, ATA is currently unavailable and Mark with MTK is on a production hold. In Europe I believe DA Props tends to be on the lower price range. When I last checked I believe the MonCal (Far Away Creations) had kits in the US for not a lot more than those aforementioned.

Best thing would be to check out that vetted list that Glen linked to, and reach out to some makers to see what they have available and at what price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The two types of material are HIPS and ABS, but one of the vendors is listed as made of flexible fiberglass which is neither of the above listed materials.

Also, I’m not going to agree when it says there are no complaints against the vendors listed because I’ve been to many armor building parties and heard the complaints, and I have several of my own. The problem with complaining about anything any of these approved vendors make or do is that not only will you get banned from ever buying anything from them in the future or getting help on building your armor, but a lot of them are friends with each other and the friends will ban you too. A lot of the complaints might be made by customers that are wrong and I understand that, but also the vendors give discounts and freebies to garrison and club officers so the customer complaints are never addressed. I can give an example from a vendor listed that is friends with a 501st Legion GML to the point that the armor maker can do nothing wrong.

So now I’ve got myself to a point where I can’t move forward in my build and I’ve already spent thousands and have 3+ years invested, yet if I want to get a stormtrooper armor approved I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning.

1 minute ago, krzypilot13 said:

The two types of material are HIPS and ABS, but one of the vendors is listed as made of flexible fiberglass which is neither of the above listed materials.

Also, I’m not going to agree when it says there are no complaints against the vendors listed because I’ve been to many armor building parties and heard the complaints, and I have several of my own. The problem with complaining about anything any of these approved vendors make or do is that not only will you get banned from ever buying anything from them in the future or getting help on building your armor, but a lot of them are friends with each other and the friends will ban you too. A lot of the complaints might be made by customers that are wrong and I understand that, but also the vendors give discounts and freebies to garrison and club officers so the customer complaints are never addressed. I can give an example from a vendor listed that is friends with a 501st Legion GML to the point that the armor maker can do nothing wrong.

So now I’ve got myself to a point where I can’t move forward in my build and I’ve already spent thousands and have 3+ years invested, yet if I want to get a stormtrooper armor approved I’m probably going to have to start from the beginning.

Flexible fiberglass would that be Jim's? The materials list was made prior to more recent costumes and the use of flexible fiberglass is somewhat recent and the initial list mainly covered original trilogy armor and makers but no reason it can't be added to the material list.

Sorry to hear you have not had a good experience and have encountered issues. I've no idea what may be happening between a supplier and club officers and I've definitely not heard locally of anyone receiving freebies or discounts from suppliers but that's not to say it doesn't happen.

As a GML for some years (about 8 from memory) I can tell you that every costume I review is unbiased and nobody gets a friendly pass, but again that's not to say it doesn't happen elsewhere.

I would encourage you to message our Detachment Leader Andrew @Sly11 if you would like to talk about your issues in depth, I can't say whether he would be able to help or not but it is always helpful to know if there may be issues with a particular supplier. 

If you have issues with your GML and the approval of a costume again you could speak to Andrew or contact the LMO's (legion membership officers), I'm sure they would be able to assist, email for them is lmo@501st.com. 

If you do have solid evidence of some impropriety with your garrison command you could reach out the the LCOG's (captain of the guards) and ask to remain anonymous to protect yourself from any reprisal, their email is cog@501st.com.

I hope some of that information may be of help to you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, krzypilot13 said:

As Glen mentioned, my door is always open and you can discuss whatever you need with me. If I can help, I certainly will.

I do also speak with GML from all over the world if they have any issues or enquires, and I also do what ever I can to overcome problems for our memebrs.

Troopers helping troopers. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If built correctly you should have no issues with Basic approval.  There are a few sets of DA props armor that have made it to higher levels, but my big issue with them is that because of the way this vendor vaccu-forms this particular component (photo 1) the large ab-button plate is designed to sit inside the raised area around it (2nd photo) as opposed to having a rim that sits on top of the raised area as seen on screen used armor..

Will it affect Basic 501st approval?  Probably not... that depends on your GML, but it will need to be fixed or replaced by another vendor for higher levels.

DA props                                                                                   Reference images                                                 

4T5Qjev.png    8Hdrjul.png       EvpJ64B.jpg  UFPGVYU.jpg     

We have seen this issue corrected by adding a solid back plate and using ABS paste** around the edge.. then sanding/polishing it.

** Just make sure that the plate and the ABS paste is made from the scraps from the original kit, as colors can be different.

Back plate added and ABS

paste applied.                                          End product!

AMTbzEZ.jpg     ntjPb2v.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SRW0109 said:

I can’t seem to find any opinions on DA Props? Either here or the ‘avoid’ thread?

Unfortunately not all armor makers provide information on their kits so some won't be listed on FISD, DA props in on such maker.

Take a look through the Expert Infantry or Centurion threads, most armor makes are listed in the titles, here's one 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, harry said:

Hi I'm knew on here and looking for a shadow stormtrooper armor and was wondering what's the best and safe place to buy it from

Hello and welcome, Shadow Troopers are homed over at Spec Ops, forum here: https://forum.specops501st.com/

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, immmykidsdad said:

Ive seen the first order 3d print files made by die3dschmiede on etsy.  He says his files were made with 501st specs in mind.  Anyone have any comments about using his files to print mine?

Can't say I've seen those files or anyone finished or approved with them, that's not to say there hasn't been.

This issue with 3D files is you really don't know how it will look or fit until you have printed it.

There are a couple of builds not finished as yet with these files https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/art/other/star-wars-tlj-storm-trooperhelmet-chest-shoulder-armour-ep8

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/51311-funkster’s-3d-printed-tlj

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49185-themaninthesuitcase-3d-printed-tlj-build/

Youngling size https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49118-crickets-3d-print-fotk-tlj-abs-kid-sized-finished/

Ultimately it is up to your GML (garrison membership liaison) for base 501st approval and also the file must closely follow the https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRLCRL (costume reference library). For higher levels L2 or L3 the DO's may chime in @Deployment Officer Team

I recommend having a look around the build threads for any other 3D printed builds.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/222-costuming-and-builds-first-order-501st-approved/

• 8 months later...

Hello all.  I’m new to this and have doing a lot of research on these forums. You’ve saved from making a big mistake as I almost bought from an unapproved armor. So, thanks so much for that.

I’ve decided that I want to commission a build or buy a quality ready to wear set, and I’ve narrowed my options down to 2. The first is that if I decide to go with the ANH style, I’ll commission a build with RS Propmasters. I know it’s more expensive but I believe in buying quality as it works out better in the long run.  

I’m also considering going for a FOTK setup as I like that look a little better.  Denuo Novo has what looks to be a really nice ready to wear TFA setup and a great helmet.  I’ve reached out to customer service with a few questions but haven’t heard back. The other alternative is to buy the kit and pay someone to put it together. I remember seeing someone on these forums who has done like 20 of these for people but I can’t find his post. I’d like to talk to him if anyone knows who I’m talking about. 

Are there any other suggestions for getting a FOTK setup that I wouldn’t have to do myself?  I’m leaning toward RS and the ANH since it is a known quantity but I’d also like to know what other options I have for a FOTK setup. Thanks in advance for your help!

You could reach out to troopers in your area who may do commission work. Denuo Novo's kit is not quite ready to wear, needing a few adjustments/filling in some places for legion approval. Occasionally you see FOTK armor for sale which may be another option for you.

RS ANH you will be happy with the quality.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, darthikari said:

Just checking, so far there is only one approved vendor for the RO armor? I had been considering trying to make a Night Trooper from Ahsoka, but I know my classic TK won’t pass CRL if I modified it. Thanks!

There is no such thing as an approved vendor (nomenclature is important as to not imply that armor from any vendor will automatically be approved) but a few that have been vetted to provide consistent, high quality product. Lots of great makers aren't on our lists either.

There are only two makers of full Rogue One style TK armor at present - Jimmiroquai out of the Phillippines whose fiberglass armor is very accurate, and 850 Armor Works out of Florida, whose ABS armor is much softer in detail due to the material and less accurate, but improved with a recent update.

WTF appears to be creating molds for kits in the future, but the jury is out on quality until complete.

You're correct that there's no way an OTTK would pass, even at basic for this costume. Just too many differences.

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

• Sly11 changed the title to The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023
  • 2 weeks later...