The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

13 minutes ago, ExpertAmateur said:

I'm going to go with RS. How do I determine boot size? And what's the general consensus -- Ep 4 or 5 Stormtrooper?

Depends where you purchase boots from, generally I have found boots to be the same size as normal shoes, although many who purchase Imperial Boots go half a size up, here is a thread full of info you may find helpful 

As for version why not both, there are only a few things different between the version so easy to purchase a few extra pieces and have both costumes, or even 3 if you include a few pieces for Hero. This pdf lists what is different between each version https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

3 hours ago, ExpertAmateur said:

I'd be getting the full complete kit from RS -- comes with the armor, helmet, blaster, holster, boots, etc. They have a dropdown to choose a boot size but no sizing explanation on there from what I notice.

Their boots are from Imperial Boots, so most people order a half size up, or full size if they want extra space or have wide feet.

On 12/1/2020 at 5:22 AM, ExpertAmateur said:

I'd be getting the full complete kit from RS -- comes with the armor, helmet, blaster, holster, boots, etc. They have a dropdown to choose a boot size but no sizing explanation on there from what I notice.

From the RS site: Boots: white leather “421” Stormtrooper boots made by Imperial Boots. Available in UK sizes 6 to 14.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 12/1/2020 at 5:05 AM, tat2trooper said:

Definetly go a whole size bigger in my opinion.i went half size bigger and they are snug.

I'm an 11 US in Nike athletic shoes, while also an 11.5 US in Puma athletic shoes. A full size up would round up to a 13 US, since RS doesn't carry half sizes. Should I be going with the 13 US or with a 12 US (which translates to 12 UK or 11 UK)? I heard that I should leave room for inserts and/or thicker socks?

Thank you for everybody for your patience. This is my first set of armor or boots and I don't want to mess up the sizing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExpertAmateur said:

I'm an 11 US in Nike athletic shoes, while also an 11.5 US in Puma athletic shoes. A full size up would round up to a 13 US, since RS doesn't carry half sizes. Should I be going with the 13 US or with a 12 US (which translates to 12 UK or 11 UK)? I heard that I should leave room for inserts and/or thicker socks?

Thank you for everybody for your patience. This is my first set of armor or boots and I don't want to mess up the sizing.

yea go full size up in my opinion I will be doing that also. I went half size up and its little snug on my feet. I got from imperial boots. I was going by nike size for mine also.

If they are a little bit big you could add a gel inner, their sizing chart recommends thick socks and gel inserts

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks. As for the rest of my measurements from RS (I'm having it commissioned), I have some questions. I'm 5'11"-6'0" and about 148-150lbs currently. However, I've been gaining weight and working out, so I expect some growth in different areas (arms, legs, chest, etc) in the future. I don't want to outgrow my armor because of this, so should I add some inches to the measurements that I provide to allow for these changes or am I okay to just give what I currently am and know that it'll still fit me in a few years from now? My end target goal is around 205-217lbs max of healthy weight if that helps at all.

Do I measure myself in a relaxed state with my arms dangling down by my sides or should I measure while flexing?

Thanks again for your patience.

Edited by ExpertAmateur
Punctuation fix

Personally if you are going to be adding some size to your frame I would go up in size with the armor, it's easier to trim some down if it's too big but very hard to add material if it's too small. Definitely measure in the flexed state as you do move in armor, high fives and waves are a big part of trooping ;) 

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Personally if you are going to be adding some size to your frame I would go up in size with the armor, it's easier to trim some down if it's too big but very hard to add material if it's too small. Definitely measure in the flexed state as you do move in armor, high fives and waves are a big part of trooping ;) 

How much more should I add to my measurements?

2 hours ago, ExpertAmateur said:

How much more should I add to my measurements?

Really depends how much bigger you will be getting.

2 minutes ago, ExpertAmateur said:

My max size would be 205-217lbs if that helps at all. I'm currently around 150lbs, so I know it'll take a bit. I just don't know how much to size up when providing measurements, if at all.

Personally I'd buy a kit and not pre built if you are going up that much, the armor is made to fit your size so it would be hard to guess what size it should be, it is very hard to size up with armor

You know what!, you cant beat that feeling when someone asks you where you got your armour from and you tell them you bought a kit and built it yourself. Their is a huge amount of pride that goes along with that. Not only is a a great accomplishment for you, but you learn some new skills, and you will love your armour so much more, that I promise you.

We have seen may commission builds where the buyer has still had to modify things to get the armour fitting just right, so if you have to pull things apart, you might as well build it and have it the perfect size from the get go.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, Sly11 said:

You know what!, you cant beat that feeling when someone asks you where you got your armour from and you tell them you bought a kit and built it yourself. Their is a huge amount of pride that goes along with that. Not only is a a great accomplishment for you, but you learn some new skills, and you will love your armour so much more, that I promise you.

We have seen may commission builds where the buyer has still had to modify things to get the armour fitting just right, so if you have to pull things apart, you might as well build it and have it the perfect size from the get go.

I agree, I just don't have the equipment or the know-how at this time. But I completely know what you mean and agree, I take much more pride in my custom build gaming PCs that I've completed as opposed to pre built ones. They're like trophies. In the future I'd like to possibly build a kit, but it's just not in the cards right now (I also have paid already anyway and got a good deal)

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 3:28 PM, ExpertAmateur said:

I agree, I just don't have the equipment or the know-how at this time. But I completely know what you mean and agree, I take much more pride in my custom build gaming PCs that I've completed as opposed to pre built ones. They're like trophies. In the future I'd like to possibly build a kit, but it's just not in the cards right now (I also have paid already anyway and got a good deal)

Same, but not with PC’s. There’s a lot to be said for making something “yours” exactly how you want it. 

Hey everyone! I have been doing my research, and I think I am ready to buy the self-build kit from RS. I want to turn this into a nice project for myself to make it my own build. I am going for the ANH look. But, I wanted to run a few questions by you all first.

I am 6'2" and 200lbs. Will I be able to build this kit to fit me well?

Are there any flags with RS? Based on the forum, it seems like they're generally favorable. But I figured I'd check with you all.

Thank you all - I am excited to get started on this journey!

Hey everyone! I have been doing my research, and I think I am ready to buy the self-build kit from RS. I want to turn this into a nice project for myself to make it my own build. I am going for the ANH look. But, I wanted to run a few questions by you all first.

Are there any flags with RS? Based on the forum, it seems like they're generally favorable. But I figured I'd check with you all.

Hi there,

Here’s a trooper at around 6’1” and 170lbs. Height wise, you’ll see that it’s perhaps a little bit borderline around the shins but certainly not too bad. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43429-tk-19232-requesting-anh-stunt-rs-eib-status-777/

If you’re concerned about the fit, perhaps consider RWA Creations with their “big boy” parts. That includes longer shins and larger limbs and body parts.

As an absolute newbie  I need help deciding weather to buy a build it your self stormtrooper armor kit or the assembled kit from RS Propmasters?  Please help.

Building your own suit gives you an immense feeling of pride and satisfaction. Most of us on this forum had not built costumes before we built a stormtrooper. As long as you take you time and do your research, there is no reason why you can’t build an excellent set of armour yourself. :-)

2 hours ago, hogndog09@gmail.com said:

As an absolute newbie  I need help deciding weather to buy a build it your self stormtrooper armor kit or the assembled kit from RS Propmasters?  Please help.

If you can build a model kit then you can build armor, it's really not as daunting as many think. Having a prebuild commission is great as long as you get all of the measurement right, you may still find you will need to do some adjustments, but in saying that many have had no issues with commissions. Gives me great satisfaction even now when building a kit, there is a lot of pride seeing what you have achieved with your very own hands.

Good luck which ever you decide.

2 hours ago, jvur2714 said:

This thread may be of help

• Like 1