The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

heightwise thats close to the "norm" size of a TK

4 hours ago, Echo3_Skywalker said:

I am new to the 501st and this will be my first build, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on armor for a fairly tall (5’8) female?

Stephanie Felton Cadet #2025

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but we have a member who obtained a TK kit from a local sale and was wondering about its origins. It's marked ATI in the box. Does anybody have any info regarding these kits?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is great and I'm looking at my first Stormtrooper set (ANH) and can see in the UK it's between RS and RWA as both appear to be based on the originals but costs differ significantly i.e. RS £895 (sadly missed the pandemic special) and RWA £490 and would ask is there a difference ? Appreciate anything anyone can share or any other providers as will not be ordering anything on ebay :) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, darrenjtr said:

Hi, this is great and I'm looking at my first Stormtrooper set (ANH) and can see in the UK it's between RS and RWA as both appear to be based on the originals but costs differ significantly i.e. RS £895 (sadly missed the pandemic special) and RWA £490 and would ask is there a difference ? Appreciate anything anyone can share or any other providers as will not be ordering anything on ebay :) 

Hi,  both Armor sets are great,  both vendors have great communication and service.  Mine is RWA and no issues. 

cheers

• Like 1

Ross with RWA also has an active Facebook group, in case you want additional reassurance. I’m sure you can’t go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi, this is great and I'm looking at my first Stormtrooper set (ANH) and can see in the UK it's between RS and RWA as both appear to be based on the originals but costs differ significantly i.e. RS £895 (sadly missed the pandemic special) and RWA £490 and would ask is there a difference ? Appreciate anything anyone can share or any other providers as will not be ordering anything on ebay  

Hi Darren,

Excellent question. Being totally honest, both are excellent at their respective price points. I’m in the UK, also, and have trooped my RWA suit for a couple of years. It’s excellent quality, very well priced, and is better looking that many out there. As in, it’s pretty accurate.

As an example, that’s me in my RWA suit just over Vader’s left shoulder;

8b14f9a15318685e28ecc504f37b7e73.jpg

For that sort of price, you can add you boots, holster, under suit, balaclava, speaker system and blaster all for a grand or less. RWA is a great way to get into trooping.

If you have more disposable income, RS is actually cast from an original suit from 1976 so, it’s more accurate. The finer details are truer to the originals than the fan-sculpted RWA kit. However, as I mentioned early on, it’s all price relative.

In my opinion, depending on your budget, you can’t go wrong with either of these options.

We’re bloomin lucking with our UK suppliers. :-)

Best wishes
Dan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, darrenjtr said:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the responses and plan to get my first kit from RWA based on your feedback. Now need to decide between the 2m ABS or the Acrylic  capped (£50 difference) so any thoughts appreciated.  

I hate acrylic capped. It’s not accurate and it’s really horrible to cut. You will go through blades like nobodies business. It’s shiny and very white. It can be brittle as it has a layer of acrylic on the plastic surface. You will get more flex and a more accurate look using standard 1.5mm white smooth ABS

5 minutes ago, darrenjtr said:

I just wanted to say thank you for all the responses and plan to get my first kit from RWA based on your feedback. Now need to decide between the 2m ABS or the Acrylic  capped (£50 difference) so any thoughts appreciated.  

Edited by sskunky
Bad spelling!
  • Like 2

Hi Darren,

Great choice! :-)

Personally, I prefer 1.5mm ABS. It is closer the original material used, is nice and flexible for trooping, easier to cut when building the suit, and holds more detail than 2mm (as the thinner plastic forms better over the moulds).

Again, my personal view is that acrylic capped is not as nice to look at. It’s very, very shiny, it’s also a different shade of white to non-capped so it’s quite easy to spot in a line of troopers. Also, as above, the details can be lost a little in acrylic capped.

Here’s Ross from RWA showing off the different shades and thicknesses.

Below is an example of the difference. From left to right,
Standard ABS, acrylic capped ABS, Vader (lol), standard ABS (me) and a dirty boy. ;-)

c949110439db8592354944ae0d7b896c.jpg

Hope that helps a little. :-)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, Dolladolla916 said:

What about anovos storm trooper armor kit?

Hello and welcome to the forum, you will find many who have the original trilogy Stormtrooper armor from ANOVOS, they had a run a few years ago but unfortunately since then they have not been able to deliver more kits, there are issues with other armor which have not been going well, non delivery of preorders over 4 years. Once Anovos appeared to be a good supplier but due to non supply they have been taken off the recommended sellers list. Hope that info helps, good luck with your journey.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. 5’6” ... Sounds like ANVOS isn’t an option even without the vertical challenge. I sent an e-mail to authenticprops@hotmail.com and no response. Who’s the latest good supplier for a custom 5’6” out of the box fully polished ANH ready for Trooping supplier on this side of the pond (USA or Canada?)

25 minutes ago, TK-728 said:

Ok.. 5’6” ... Sounds like ANVOS isn’t an option even without the vertical challenge. I sent an e-mail to authenticprops@hotmail.com and no response. Who’s the latest good supplier for a custom 5’6” out of the box fully polished ANH ready for Trooping supplier on this side of the pond (USA or Canada?)

I would stay on target with AP, he’s a member on these boards so I will give him a nudge for you :salute: Calling @ABS80

• 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ExpertAmateur said:

I was looking into getting a screen accurate kit from RS, but living in USA makes that expensive. What's my best option where I live, or is it worth the money? (Do they run sales besides their Black Friday one?) Thanks!

RS and TM (Troopermaster) are the most screen accurate armor available, both from the UK. I have ATA which is Canadian and it's a little thicker plastic than other armor makers so it lasts a lot longer. At the end of the day it's what do you want, screen accuracy or longevity. Being from down under I pay the price on shipping no matter where it comes from ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpertAmateur said:

I was looking into getting a screen accurate kit from RS, but living in USA makes that expensive. What's my best option where I live, or is it worth the money? (Do they run sales besides their Black Friday one?) Thanks!

If screen accuracy is your thing then RS and TM like Glen said is by far the best options. RS has the extra advantage of beeing cast from a screen used suit, not all the parts though but the majority of the suit is. TM is by far the best fan sculp out there and has continued to tweek his molds. Shipping is always a killer unless you are fortunate to live in the country of goods wanted. I belive black friday is usually the one time RS has a sale but I could be mistaken. TM as a 25% off from his regular price and that has lasted the entire year, not sure if he plan to extend that to next year but you could always reach out to him and ask. 

Best of luck:salute: Oh! and it´s totally worth the money:duim:

• Like 1

I'm going to go with RS. How do I determine boot size? And what's the general consensus -- Ep 4 or 5 Stormtrooper?

Good choice. :-)

ANH vs ESB is just down to personal preference. Personally, my first image of Stormtroopers is the beginning of A New Hope when they burst into our lives. :-)

In terms of the suit itself and the helmet, there are many differences to take into account. When you make your choice, be sure to follow the specific ANH or ESB version. :-)