The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

12 hours ago, LoneSentry said:

Newb chiming-in again. So, FISD has really ruined my life over the last week...but in a good (great?) way (I'm spending all my free time reading stuff). I finally finished reading all 54 pages of this thread, and it was really, really, really helpful. Not only did it provide great info, but it also made me aware of questions I didn't even know I had yet (most of which where answered a post or two later). I still haven't decided on the exact vendor I'm going with, but have certainly narrowed it down a bit. I also have a new favorite pass-time of going through the photos in the Centurion Status Request sub-forum to see what details I can spot (and more importantly miss) that lend itself to a top-shelf build (that is the level I am aiming for). I am sure I will have some questions going forward, but am doing my best to do as much research on my own before asking (personally, it's part of the fun, and I'm learning so much other stuff in the process). In any event, a huge thanks to everyone...clearly a great community here, and I can wait to become more immersed in it. 

Glad to see you have been doing your research, Chris!  Yeah, there is definitely a TON of information here, but if there is something in particular you need help with and can't find just ask.

Building a set of armor can be a lot of fun, but it can also be frustrating at times, which is where we come in.  What I always suggest is to start your own build thread here.  That way, you can ask as many questions as you like all in one place (helps you to keep track) as well as post photos (lots and lots of photos) of your progress and any issues you may have.

Great to hear that you will be aiming for Centurion!  If you haven't had the chance to see it yet, I have a thread here which will help you on those little details we look for when applying for levels 2 and 3 that can be a bit vague on the CRLs.

Take your time, ask us about anything you need to, and I look forward to seeing your build!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chinti said:

hey everyone, been lurking on and off since 2013 and finally have some budget to build the stormtrooper costume.

would need some advise, im about 170cm and 90kg so that's kinda short and round, which maker armor would better suit for someone like my size?

Welcome back, Avery!  We have troopers of all shapes and sizes, and most armor can be adjusted to fit you perfectly, so not to worry!  A complete list of "vetted" armorers can be found on the first page of this thread, and some (like AM, RT and TM) supply certain pieces designed for larger/taller troopers, so we got ya' covered!

7 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

...I have a thread here which will help you on those little details...

This is GREAT! I hadn't gotten to that thread (yet), but it will obviously be a huge help. Bookmarked, and thank you!

Edited by LoneSentry
  • Like 1

A quick “confirmation of research” question!

After reading through this entire thread, and lots of others, I’ve finally decided on an RS untrimmed kit.

Me:
Height: 5’10.5”
Chest: 40”-41”
Waist: 33”-34”
Weight: 170-175lbs

Just to confirm my research, is there any reason to think RS would NOT fit me (I have found no evidence that it wouldn’t, or that any other manufacture would fit BETTER)? Assuming no one throws me a huge red flag, I'll be ordering it next week.

Also, my intention is go as movie-accurate as possible, which means by default I am aiming for Centurion from Day 1 (a main reason why I picked RS).

I am really back and forth on ANH/ESB stunt. So, the obvious answer is, well, BOTH! (esp. considering how little it takes to switch over). My heart is with ESB, but there is so much info/resources on ANH, that I’m doing that first. ESB helmet, hand guards, etc to come after.    

So, all that said, thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Last, you guys are going to get sick of me saying this, but…deep gratitude, and a heartfelt thank you, to everyone for all the info on this forum. You guys are amazing.

-Chris

Edited by LoneSentry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LoneSentry said:

Hi Chris, great to see you're on your way to becoming an Stormtrooper, and Yes, you're just rigth with the RS Armor size.

Remember to start a building thread post when you are ready to start so you can recieve feeback , tips and suggestions from the very expert troopers we have here.  

Meanwhile you may want to search the ANH Build threads and the  EIB and Centurion Sections so you can be familiar with the building process and the advenced program requirements.

Looking fordward to see your BBB day photos. 

Cheers  :salute:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneSentry said:

A quick “confirmation of research” question!

After reading through this entire thread, and lots of others, I’ve finally decided on an RS untrimmed kit.

Me:
Height: 5’10.5”
Chest: 40”-41”
Waist: 33”-34”
Weight: 170-175lbs

Just to confirm my research, is there any reason to think RS would NOT fit me (I have found no evidence that it wouldn’t, or that any other manufacture would fit BETTER)? Assuming no one throws me a huge red flag, I'll be ordering it next week.

Also, my intention is go as movie-accurate as possible, which means by default I am aiming for Centurion from Day 1 (a main reason why I picked RS).

I am really back and forth on ANH/ESB stunt. So, the obvious answer is, well, BOTH! (esp. considering how little it takes to switch over). My heart is with ESB, but there is so much info/resources on ANH, that I’m doing that first. ESB helmet, hand guards, etc to come after.    

Last, you guys are going to get sick of me saying this, but…deep gratitude, and a heartfelt thank you, to everyone for all the info on this forum. You guys are amazing.

-Chris

You should do great with RS. You've done your research. And it's your choice to make not ours. With your size any kit can work. In regards to your ESB add on in the future. A thing to consider is plastic will age and you wouldn't want to have a bright white helmet and some aged armor below it.

Also I'm your local Attache for FISD.

So I look foward to your build here and on the NEG forums.

Good Luck Future Trooper!

Edited by magni
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome back, Avery!  We have troopers of all shapes and sizes, and most armor can be adjusted to fit you perfectly, so not to worry!  A complete list of "vetted" armorers can be found on the first page of this thread, and some (like AM, RT and TM) supply certain pieces designed for larger/taller troopers, so we got ya' covered!

thanks! im currently looking at RS and TM armor. still waiting for reply from TM on whether they offer a complete bundle like RS.

hopefully everything goes well and will be able to have myself a set of stormtrooper armor by this year

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoneSentry said:

I am really back and forth on ANH/ESB stunt. So, the obvious answer is, well, BOTH! (esp. considering how little it takes to switch over).

Keep in mind that there are a few major differences between the ANH and ESB, Chris.  The frowns are different colors, and the tears/traps/tube stripes on ESB were decals, not hand painted.

The hand guards are different, as is the holster.  You may have seen it already, but I have a thread here that shows all the differences in detail:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48335-quick-crl-reference-guide-for-your-ot-build-pics-notes-tips/

15 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Keep in mind that there are a few major differences between the ANH and ESB, Chris.  The frowns are different colors, and the tears/traps/tube stripes on ESB were decals, not hand painted.

The hand guards are different, as is the holster.  You may have seen it already, but I have a thread here that shows all the differences in detail:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48335-quick-crl-reference-guide-for-your-ot-build-pics-notes-tips/

Yup! I love the ESB frown, but am not a fan of the ESB hand guards. Plan is to build an ANH stunt, and then shortly after put together a ESB helmet, gloves, holster, etc. so I can do either as mood/situation may call for. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LoneSentry said:

Yup! I love the ESB frown, but am not a fan of the ESB hand guards. Plan is to build an ANH stunt, and then shortly after put together a ESB helmet, gloves, holster, etc. so I can do either as mood/situation may call for. 

This is something I have been thinking of doing myself as well. Good luck!

• Like 1

Hello all, I am back again after having to take a long break due to crazy work life, but am looking to get back in to possibly getting a OT TK armor, or if it is easy enough going FO trooper instead. I have been eyeing RSpropmasters for the TK armor complete set since it comes with all I need. But I am curious if there is a wait time on FO armor that is easily assembled.

And does anyone have input on the seller https://www.armoryshopprops.com/shop/armor-kits/?

If I need to post elsewhere just send me in the right direction!
Thanks from a possible DSG trooper!

I don't have the latest data, but it used to be that the time to create an FO suit from trimming->done is over 100 hours, vs. much less for an OT TK.  @Sly11 & @Dark CMF, sounds like this would be a great poll to run soon?  Usually once a year we have a "what armor are you wearing" poll to track this over time, I think a 'how much time did you spend building your suit' sounds good too.  TBH, maybe making it a Google Form would be much easier.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stockish said:

Hello all, I am back again after having to take a long break due to crazy work life, but am looking to get back in to possibly getting a OT TK armor, or if it is easy enough going FO trooper instead. I have been eyeing RSpropmasters for the TK armor complete set since it comes with all I need. But I am curious if there is a wait time on FO armor that is easily assembled.

And does anyone have input on the seller https://www.armoryshopprops.com/shop/armor-kits/?

If I need to post elsewhere just send me in the right direction!
Thanks from a possible DSG trooper!

To answer your question, Armory shop seems to be pretty good from all accounts I have heard.

4 hours ago, Dark CMF said:

I have a thought about the hours thing, but I'll take it to Staff for the time being.

Thanks, or I can run a poll just as easily TBH.  I think I'll wait until after elections though - don't want to muddy any waters.

• Like 1

And, here it is. I'm the black pauldron wearing TD playing tight end on the right.  We ended up playing 4 downs or so before we were called back.  Wish someone had a video...

image.png

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Daetrin said:

And, here it is. I'm the black pauldron wearing TD playing tight end on the right.  We ended up playing 4 downs or so before we were called back.  Wish someone had a video...

image.png

Holy hell. It's a bit early, but this is already the clear front runner for the "Best Things I Saw in 2020" Award. Well done.

Edited by LoneSentry
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Daetrin said:

image.png

Wrong topic by accident? Wasn't that intended for the don't run in armor thread?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 11:44 PM, Sly11 said:

To answer your question, Armory shop seems to be pretty good from all accounts I have heard.

Thanks for the input, might go with RSPropmasters as they seem to have everything in a package and just minimal follow up work to complete. Now to pick ANH or ESB......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stockish said:

Thanks for the input, might go with RSPropmasters as they seem to have everything in a package and just minimal follow up work to complete. Now to pick ANH or ESB......

See if this helps, our demography from FEB Newsletter :) 

OwWbT1P.png&key=da047cd9a02d0f78fc698a28

Edited by giskard8