The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

Well, I finally got to the end of the thread! I've read the whole thing and am now unsure than before I started! I measured myself and it turns I'm shorter than I thought also so not sure if RWA is the right way to go. Can anybody advise me please? I'm 5' 8.4" and weigh 13st 5lb with 34" waist. I'm looking at RWA because of budget and the relatively short waiting list but I really don't want to get it wrong patricularly with wanting to build to Centurion standard right off the bat

• Like 1

Well, I finally got to the end of the thread! I've read the whole thing and am now unsure than before I started! I measured myself and it turns I'm shorter than I thought also so not sure if RWA is the right way to go. Can anybody advise me please? I'm 5' 8.4" and weigh 13st 5lb with 34" waist. I'm looking at RWA because of budget and the relatively short waiting list but I really don't want to get it wrong patricularly with wanting to build to Centurion standard right off the bat

Hi Jake,

Good choice with RWA. I’d suggest posting this question on the RWA Facebook page. I’m 100% sure you’ll get responses from a range of shorter and taller troopers (including photos of them in kit).

Personally, I don’t think you’ll have an issue at 5’8”. I know shorter troopers that can pull it off.

I know of at least 8 RWA Centurions so it’s a very achievable goal.

Any questions, let me know. :-)

Best wishes

Dan

• Like 1

Just a couple ,ore questions, what's the pros and cons of choosing 1.5mm, 2mm or 2mm acrylic capped ABS. Also I can't seem to find the section in UK Garrison where it lists any build meetings coming up

Hiya. Here’s a video from Ross of RWA;

1.5mm is a popular choice with many (including me). It’s nice to cut when you’re building your armour and is relatively flexible to wear. 2mm acrylic capped is more shiny/glossy and is less likely to suffer from UV damage. However, to my eye, non-capped is more accurate to the originals.

I haven’t seen many armour parties publicly listed on the UKG forum. It might be worth you signing up and introducing yourself, then you’ll see if other troopers are in your area.

PM me if you need any help with that. :-)
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 3:23 AM, justjoseph63 said:
  2. I would try AM ( troopersupplies@hotmail.com) or AP ( authenticprops@hotmail.com).  Both of these makers are tried and true, and their armor should fit the larger/taller trooper with no problems.  Both have great reputations for communication and customer service.

Does anyone have a new email for AM?

troopersupplies@hotmail.com keeps coming back undeliverable. I tried outlook with the same results...

It would be my luck to do all my online research to pick a vender and they’re gone.

18 minutes ago, Armoredfist5 said:

troopersupplies@hotmail.com keeps coming back undeliverable. I tried outlook with the same results...

It would be my luck to do all my online research to pick a vender and they’re gone.

As far as I know AM is still in business, Brian.  I just sent Dale (AM owner) an email to ask if there is an alternative address, and will post the reply on here for you.

2 hours ago, Armoredfist5 said:

OK, I just heard back from Dale, and they have several kits ready to ship!  I gave him your email address, so he should be in contact soon.  Hope this helps!

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

OK, I just heard back from Dale, and they have several kits ready to ship!  I gave him your email address, so he should be in contact soon.  Hope this helps!

Thank you, thank you Joseph!!

On 4/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, Armoredfist5 said:

I've emailed them not that long ago, and didn't have any issues.  Their email server could be down, too.  

It may also have been that Clinton received it by error.  He was acting as an "agent" of sorts, but is no longer involved with AM.  If anyone has any trouble getting in touch with them, just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, TKNick8350 said:

Is their a new email for RT-Panda?

You can send a PM to @pandatrooper

• 2 months later...

would you recommend using this armor kit from Armor Works? made of ABS 850armorworks.com
Or
this other armor kit from Jimmiroquai? attached is the pdf of armor maker, made of flexible fiberglass.

I want to make a FOTK but I'm not sure who to buy from, or what materials are going to be needed after the purchase of either one. 

Jimmiroquai FOTK 2018.pdf

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

The pricing on the 850 seems in the "too good to be true" realm.  The pulls in the photo look a bit soft (lacking in detail) in a few areas too.

Jim is a commonly used kit, uses a semi flexible fibreglass material.  They tend to need a fair bit of prep work before painting but can give excellent results with some elbow grease.

On 6/26/2019 at 2:48 PM, ArcaneRaver23 said:

would you recommend using this armor kit from Armor Works? made of ABS -----------
Or
this other armor kit from Jimmiroquai? attached is the pdf of armor maker, made of flexible fiberglass.

I want to make a FOTK but I'm not sure who to buy from, or what materials are going to be needed after the purchase of either one. 

Jimmiroquai FOTK 2018.pdf 678.85 kB · 3 downloads

I've built a few 850 (AW) kits from Shoretroopers to Deathtroopers, very easy to assemble. A short while back his armor details were pretty soft and their delivery times were lackluster but their process has improved and I recommend them as an alternative supplier. I also built an FOTK and Shoretrooper that Jim makes, again easy to assemble.

Both suppliers have their pros and cons. After building both IMHO it's easier to work with ABS vs fiberglass. That said Jim's armors are far more detailed and in most cases more accurate.

It's a coin toss.

Hope this helps  

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

8 hours ago, TheSwede said:

I belive @shashachu received a kit from them recently, maybe she have some input on quality. 

I do have the kit but I haven't started building it yet. I got it #1 because of the price, and #2 because the KB kit is massive on me, esp the chest and back. If/when I finally finish my build, I'm planning on a mix of KB and 850. I received my kit within 1 week of payment, in black ABS.

I have guessed that maybe the kit is from 3D printed molds, because there are some really strange decisions like:

* The forearm pieces have the inner bumpy greeblie molded in, but he also includes a resin cast of the greeblies. Why not just put a flat surface there?

* The TD panel comes as part of the kidney plate, but he also includes a kidney plate. I messaged him about it and apparently you're supposed to cut the panel out of the kidney plate. Why waste all that plastic?

* The yoke bridge also includes the upper part of the back, with half of the "O II" detail in it, too. Why?

Misc details:

* The ABS is much thinner than my KB kit, and details are soft...ish, but not much softer than the KB.

* The chest/back is *much* smaller than the KB, which for me is great and is almost worth the price of admission.

* The spats come as flat pieces - you're expected to heat bend them to roll them into shape. Pretty weird but I guess he did it so that people can size them down.

* The version of the yoke I have has the wings as 2 separate pieces. Apparently he's already updated the molds for the yoke so it's a single piece, and I think there's no bridge piece now either.

He gave me files to 3D print the TD which is pretty cool but also includes an ABS TD.

I do not have his helmet, so I can't comment on the quality of it.

All in all, I don't see anything that would obviously block approval but I also haven't seen many (or any?) approved 850 FOTKs.

Hope this helps!

-Sha Sha

4 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I've built a few 850 (AW) kits from Shoretroopers to Deathtroopers, very easy to assemble. A short while back his armor details were pretty soft and their delivery times were lackluster but their process has improved and I recommend them as an alternative supplier. I also built an FOTK and Shoretrooper that Jim makes, again easy to assemble.

Both suppliers have their pros and cons. After building both IMHO it's easier to work with ABS vs fiberglass. That said Jim's armors are far more detailed and in most cases more accurate.

It's a coin toss.

Hope this helps  

I am 5' 10" weigh 140lbs , fairly skinny/athletic build. What armor type would you recommend? of the two? What makes ABS easier than fiberglass to work with? Both seem really expensive, and I only have a limited budget to work with, so not sure what is the best overall. Or if there are different armor makers that also make FOTK that fit my size. if so, I don't see it listed under the recommended vendor list, so I'm quite lost.

You say Jim's kit is harder to work with because it's flexible fiberglass but the results are more in detailed. Would that be compared to all ABS armor?

Flexible fiberglass armor (looks better, harder to make) > ABS armor (not as detailed, easier to make)?

On 6/15/2010 at 5:38 AM, Daetrin said:

ANH Derived: traces back to a screen used helmet. Armor came from an incomplete ROTJ suit that was supplemented with parts from a tour suit, with this base being modified to be more ANH accurate in detailing. 

Can someone explain this to me?
ANH: it's the original source used in the screens or company that made them?
ANH fan made: that it's a replica made by a fan to look similar to the original?

So in terms of detail and bang for your buck, I would want to go for something that is ANH because it has the most screen accurate detail right?
Is there ANH  armor for First Order Armor? I don't see any listed under vetted, I only see one fanmade.

3 minutes ago, ArcaneRaver23 said:

Can someone explain this to me?
ANH: it's the original source used in the screens or company that made them?
ANH fan made: that it's a replica made by a fan to look similar to the original?

So in terms of detail and bang for your buck, I would want to go for something that is ANH because it has the most screen accurate detail right?
Is there ANH  armor for First Order Armor? I don't see any listed under vetted, I only see one fanmade.

ANH stands for "A New Hope", aka Star Wars: Episode 4.  First Order armor is going to be either TFA or TLJ.  You will only find fan-made versions of that for now... I don't think the screen-used kits have been scanned and recreated exactly yet (but I could be wrong!).

6 minutes ago, Kredal said:

I don't think the screen-used kits have been scanned and recreated exactly yet

Anovos holds the license and copied the screen used suits, not a vetted seller though:salute:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kredal said:

ANH stands for "A New Hope", aka Star Wars: Episode 4.  First Order armor is going to be either TFA or TLJ.  You will only find fan-made versions of that for now... I don't think the screen-used kits have been scanned and recreated exactly yet (but I could be wrong!).

oh that's what the acronym meant haha, im dumb; Well That's a bummer on no FO kits, hoping to see the list grow some more for them.

For the Empire style storm trooper, I'm not sure whether to go for ATA ( Affordable Trooper Armor) or RS Prop Masters. 

I'm 5'10" 140lbs, 30inch waist slim build. On the list of vetted vendors, it says that RS Prop Masters seems to have everything almost ready out the box, which seems more appealing to me, because of time, though I'm not sure.

2 hours ago, ArcaneRaver23 said:

I am 5' 10" weigh 140lbs , fairly skinny/athletic build. What armor type would you recommend? of the two? What makes ABS easier than fiberglass to work with? Both seem really expensive, and I only have a limited budget to work with, so not sure what is the best overall. Or if there are different armor makers that also make FOTK that fit my size. if so, I don't see it listed under the recommended vendor list, so I'm quite lost.

You say Jim's kit is harder to work with because it's flexible fiberglass but the results are more in detailed. Would that be compared to all ABS armor?

Flexible fiberglass armor (looks better, harder to make) > ABS armor (not as detailed, easier to make)?

At 5'10" 140 you'll find most armors may be a little large on you but that's ok most can be altered to fit.  

As for the suppliers you have 850 (North America), Jim's (Philippines), and I hear there's may be suppliers in the UK and Australia but don't quote me. No one else has come forward asking to have their armor added to vetted list that I'm aware of. 

When working with Jim's kit it's not that it's harder to assemble you just need to be aware of the fiberglass and just make sure you're using the proper personal protection, like a respirator when sanding. Also, Jim's kit may require ongoing maintenance as it tends to have minor cracking issues as time goes on (someone correct me if this has changed). 

Edit: I think KB makes a kit, check FB

Edited by ukswrath