The various types of armor and where to find them UPDATED 2023

1. 2 hours ago, Strmtrooper816 said:

You may want to get in contact with the guy who does RT mods.  Hes not answering his email and the web address I had for him, is no longer what it was.  If he is no longer doing armor, where would a taller bigger trooper look for armor? 

2. I would try AM ( troopersupplies@hotmail.com) or AP ( authenticprops@hotmail.com).  Both of these makers are tried and true, and their armor should fit the larger/taller trooper with no problems.  Both have great reputations for communication and customer service.

What do people think of AM armor is it any good or stay away from?
  I was told AM is built for taller and bigger people.

It is good for larger troopers. If your a movie sized TK then your good to look around. If your larger or just want more room AM is a good option. I’m a strong supporter. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/9/2019 at 12:30 PM, Arch99 said:

I have AM and absolutely love it!  I highly recommend it. It is good for taller and/or bigger people.  It has good thickness that will give you longevity.  You can size it down if needed, and you can also add shims if needed for a larger fit.

On 2/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, Arch99 said:

I’m building my AM kit now. It’s fantastic stuff. Victor Matts is the guy to contact if you want a great kit. I’m doing a detailed build thread here if you care to see how nice this armour really is. It’s very reasonably priced and comes with a couple extra parts for other versions to choose from.

This is my thread. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/46165-anh-stunt-build/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JFarwell said:

I see that this post was from 2010 .. im sure by now that stormtrooper store and production have made some improvements. Just wondering 

Stormtrooper Store is basically selling FX type armour. The boots are good, the soft pieces are generally good, much of the armour is good enough to work into acceptable 501st standards. The armour is very thick, which I like but it needs too much work to meet CRL standards. 

That being said, I’m considering some of the special ops trooper designations that currently have no CRL outline that some aspects of this armour might be well suited for based on the ‘flaws’ in the FX design. I have a kit and will be modifying it and submitting for a new CRL guideline for an elite division. 

Stormtrooper Store is basically selling FX type armour. The boots are good, the soft pieces are generally good, much of the armour is good enough to work into acceptable 501st standards. The armour is very thick, which I like but it needs too much work to meet CRL standards. 

That being said, I’m considering some of the special ops trooper designations that currently have no CRL outline that some aspects of this armour might be well suited for based on the ‘flaws’ in the FX design. I have a kit and will be modifying it and submitting for a new CRL guideline for an elite division. 

Sounds interesting, do keep us informed of the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that this post was from 2010 .. im sure by now that stormtrooper store and production have made some improvements. Just wondering 

Hiya,

Personally, I’d say it’s all about budgets and how accurate you want your kit to be. The cheaper the suit, the less accurate it will usually* be. Some people are driven by budget so these sort of kits might be okay. Others might want to save that little bit longer and buy something more accurate. (See vetted sellers list).

If it were me, I’d always compare the suit you’re looking at versus screen used. Play spot the difference. Check this against the higher end kits and see if you can warrant the higher price for the higher accuracy.

Here’s a side by side of the kit you’ve linked versus screen used originals.

f02a545fe3b17425628375aee12dec2e.jpg

For me, I see lots of differences in the shapes of various parts, the helmet lines and proportions etc. Some might not see the differences and like the price so would go for it. Others might look at the vetted sellers and do comparisons and prefer the more accurate kits.

Each to their own.

Best wishes

Dan
  • Like 1

Yes I have done a lot of research.. a lot . I mean ya that’s great. And I can modify my suit. And yes for the money I can see that lots of people prefer movie accuracy.. I get that and everyone looks awesome amazing in their suits. It’s really the only option I have as I don’t have a lot of time to do a bild.. trust me I would love to do that for myself.. and I totally agree with u get what you pay for which is what everyone is saying her .. just saying that I’m sure that they have made some changes to their problems and product.. I would love to see more pictures of comparable suits from stormtrooper store compared to AP- Anovos- RS. Ect . Thanks for the feedback much appreciated... keep on trooping 

• Like 1

Hello everyone, 

i am a new member of the forum and i've been reading through discussions and posts all day.

I am for Greece and, along with a friend, we are thinking of entering the "stormtrooping world", by ordering our first kits and eventually - hopefully- joining the 501st. 

I have noted the vetted sellers, especially the ones form UK, but i would also like to ask if there is any other you can propose, who would be a more convenient choice for my country of residence (i guess people from the garissons around Greece may have an idea).. 

Also, we were considering tkuk as an option (i think it was among the suggested sellers a while ago), but noticed the negative comments in the forums. Apart from the behavior they showed in that particular incident, would you say that the kit they offer is far from good? Would it -if fitted and modded properly- qualify for being accepted to the 501st? I am asking this, because  budget-wise, it is our best option (each kit would be around 375 euros...and it already is a lot of money for our country's economy).

Thank you for your time

Aris

Edited by ariskard

1 hour ago, ariskard said:

Hello everyone, 

i am a new member of the forum and i've been reading through discussions and posts all day.

I am for Greece and, along with a friend, we are thinking of entering the "stormtrooping world", by ordering our first kits and eventually - hopefully- joining the 501st. 

I have noted the vetted sellers, especially the ones form UK, but i would also like to ask if there is any other you can propose, who would be a more convenient choice for my country of residence (i guess people from the garissons around Greece may have an idea).. 

Also, we were considering tkuk as an option (i think it was among the suggested sellers a while ago), but noticed the negative comments in the forums. Apart from the behavior they showed in that particular incident, would you say that the kit they offer is far from good? Would it -if fitted and modded properly- qualify for being accepted to the 501st? I am asking this, because  budget-wise, it is our best option (each kit would be around 375 euros...and it already is a lot of money for our country's economy).

Thank you for your time

Aris

I’ll be getting my suit as well. Good luck 

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your time
Aris

Hi Aris,

Welcome aboard.

I’m sure many of the UK sellers would ship to you. We have some of the best kits in the world coming from the UK so it’s an amazing time to be looking at joining the world of Stormtroopers. :-)

The vetted sellers that you mentioned would offer more accurate armour than TKUK. This is not me being mean, just a fact when comparing the various vendors. However, TKUK kits ARE cheap and they can be cleared for 501st use of done correctly. If you can, try joining your local 501st Garrison forum and see if there are any build threads. This might show you some of the extra work that can be required to clear this kit (specifically the 3 piece helmet).

Check out the TKUK Facebook page for examples of their kits, compare with screen used and other vendors, then see if the price and quality meets your expectations.

In reality, if Joe Public sees a TKUK Stormtrooper, it still looks like a Stormtrooper to most people - it just depends how far you personally want to take it.

It all comes down to personal goals/budget/preference etc. :-)

Hopefully you can reach out to your local Garrison and see what they suggest.

Best wishes
Dan
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JFarwell said:

I’ll be ordering from the stormtrooper store.. it looks awesome and you get everything with it ... wicked stuff. Can’t wait... 

Good stuff, J. There’s a suit out there for everyone. :-)

Good morning everyone, thank you for your warm welcome and first pieces of advice. 

After a long (still ongoing) research, i have come to the conclusion that i should probably save some more money, raise the budget and pick something other than our initial TKUK thought. 

Both Ross (RWA) and jim (jimmiroquai) were kind (and fast) enough and sent me some details, pricing etc on their options, which i am now considering. 

Apart from UK sellers, i guess there is nowhere else in the EU that i can look for an armor, right?

Also, regarding the local garisson (forgive me if this turns out to be a silly question), from the 501st i have found out that there is a Hellenic Outpost (not sure if there is a hierarcy and specific requirements to be a garisson) with 5 persons, so i guess its possible that i should reach out to the nearest "garisson" (Italian maybe?)  instead of the "outpost". Can someone please clarify this for me? Also, the Hellenic outpost does not show up on the garissons and outposts map. Any idea why?

Map-Europe.jpg

Edited by ariskard

7 hours ago, ariskard said:

Good morning everyone, thank you for your warm welcome and first pieces of advice. 

After a long (still ongoing) research, i have come to the conclusion that i should probably save some more money, raise the budget and pick something other than our initial TKUK thought. 

Both Ross (RWA) and jim (jimmiroquai) were kind (and fast) enough and sent me some details, pricing etc on their options, which i am now considering. 

Apart from UK sellers, i guess there is nowhere else in the EU that i can look for an armor, right?

Also, regarding the local garisson (forgive me if this turns out to be a silly question), from the 501st i have found out that there is a Hellenic Outpost (not sure if there is a hierarcy and specific requirements to be a garisson) with 5 persons, so i guess its possible that i should reach out to the nearest "garisson" (Italian maybe?)  instead of the "outpost". Can someone please clarify this for me? Also, the Hellenic outpost does not show up on the garissons and outposts map. Any idea why?

The unit maps are updated periodically, but aren't up to the minute, so it's very likely whoever updates the maps just hasn't been able to update it yet.  

I would reach out to whomever your local 501st members are, be it an Outpost, Garrison, or Squad- they're all official units and should be able to offer local assistance.  Outposts are smaller units, Garrisons are 25+ people, Squads are subsets of Garrisons with 15+ people.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good day everyone. I’m really excited to get my suit very soon.. I will be doing mods to it as I go .. looks like fun as I can’t do a full bild .. I would love pictures of any and all so I can get a clear picture on how to fit once I get it in 2 weeks. you all are amazing thanks for bing there I love the support... this journey is tuff and exciting one . Im very happy. 

Good day everyone. I’m really excited to get my suit very soon.. I will be doing mods to it as I go .. looks like fun as I can’t do a full bild .. I would love pictures of any and all so I can get a clear picture on how to fit once I get it in 2 weeks. you all are amazing thanks for bing there I love the support... this journey is tuff and exciting one . Im very happy. 

Hi J,

Great to hear you’re starting your journey. :-)

A great place to see the various types of armor at their best is the Expert Infantry and Centurion applications (https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/). You’ll see many armor makers as well as various size and shape troopers.

For examples of how kits are put together, check out the work in progress threads. For example, ANH builds here; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/. Once your armour arrives, you’d be advised to start your own thread and we can give advise specific to you.

Best wishes for your trooper journey.

Dan

19 minutes ago, thaynes said:

What’s the relationship between gauge and mm thickness? Like what’s .08 and .09 gauge in terms of mm? 

Sorry for my ignorance..lol. I did try a quick google search..... 

The terminology isn't completely correct. They are referring to thickness in inches. So .08 is about 2 mm.

• Like 1

Just now, thaynes said:

Thanks! So would .09 be thinner than 2mm or thicker? 

.09 is more than .08 so it would indeed be thicker.

On 3/30/2019 at 2:34 PM, CableGuy said:

Hi J,

Great to hear you’re starting your journey. :-)

A great place to see the various types of armor at their best is the Expert Infantry and Centurion applications (https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/113-advanced-tactics/). You’ll see many armor makers as well as various size and shape troopers.

For examples of how kits are put together, check out the work in progress threads. For example, ANH builds here; https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/. Once your armour arrives, you’d be advised to start your own thread and we can give advise specific to you.

Best wishes for your trooper journey.

Dan

Thanks dan